Just Scouted The 2012 Giants - Keys To Victory

1. Eli Manning can not handle pressure in the pocket. (Please see their losses on Week 9 vs. Pittsburgh, Week 10 vs. Cincinnati, and even Week 13 vs. Washington). Mike Nolan has to dial up some serious pressure on Eli this week. He makes mistakes-galore when he's rushed.

2. Their secondary is opportunistic (Tied for 2nd in the league in INT's), but they are also often a liability. Corey Webster is their best CB and even he gets complacent and takes plays off. In my opinion, the deeper intermediate and deep sideline routes will be there for the taking. But Ryan has to be on the money with his throws. Turnovers will kill any chance of winning this game.

3. And most importantly, the middle of Atlanta's OL MUST hold strong to provide a pocket for Ryan to step up into to avoid the outside pass rush. If this doesn't happen, it's going to be a another long, miserable, low-scoring loss. A couple of other important aspects of beating the Giants' passrush will be the screen game and the no-huddle. The Falcons have to keep them from substituting players as much as possible and take advantage of mismatches.

Some of this is obvious, but I was really surprised at how frazzled Eli gets under pressure, and how much Webster seems to take plays off. Those guys can be beaten. The Falcons have to get this monkey off their backs.

Thoughts?

I hate to restate what everyone on this board is thinking, but #3 is THE key to winning this game. Plain and simple. If McClure sucks it up again like he does half the time with good pass rushers, we're screwed. It's just that simple. Yeah yeah screens, draws, no huddle all that is nice...but we won't even get to go no huddle if we don't get a first down and build some momentum on offense.

Todd McClure is so vital to this offense's success it's scary...I've debated back and forth saying "oh it's just an off day for the interior OL" but it seriously is just McClure. He has GOT to get it in gear if we stand a chance against NY.

1. Eli Manning can not handle pressure in the pocket. (Please see their losses on Week 9 vs. Pittsburgh, Week 10 vs. Cincinnati, and even Week 13 vs. Washington). Mike Nolan has to dial up some serious pressure on Eli this week. He makes mistakes-galore when he's rushed.

2. Their secondary is opportunistic (Tied for 2nd in the league in INT's), but they are also often a liability. Corey Webster is their best CB and even he gets complacent and takes plays off. In my opinion, the deeper intermediate and deep sideline routes will be there for the taking. But Ryan has to be on the money with his throws. Turnovers will kill any chance of winning this game.

3. And most importantly, the middle of Atlanta's OL MUST hold strong to provide a pocket for Ryan to step up into to avoid the outside pass rush. If this doesn't happen, it's going to be a another long, miserable, low-scoring loss. A couple of other important aspects of beating the Giants' passrush will be the screen game and the no-huddle. The Falcons have to keep them from substituting players as much as possible and take advantage of mismatches.

Some of this is obvious, but I was really surprised at how frazzled Eli gets under pressure, and how much Webster seems to take plays off. Those guys can be beaten. The Falcons have to get this monkey off their backs.

Thoughts?

Well that would certainly be refreshing, but given their track record as of late, not holding my breath.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

ALL QB's get frazzled under pressure. It's a given. But our defense getting effective pressure on a QB seems hit or miss, and mostly miss.

Well, mostly, I guess. But there are some QB's who really thrive under pressure. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, RGIII. I guess it surprised me because in my memory banks I had Eli as one of the QB's who dealt pretty well with pressure. I was wrong.

Thoughts?

The more I think about it, the more I believe this is THE key for victory. It's the only thing that can keep their passrush at bay.

Thoughts?

Eli is one of the best at taking that slide step to avoid pressure and making on rushers look like keystone cops. Very much like Brady, Brees and his brother in that regard. We have always been susceptible to the slide step. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the league.

One thing you left off is you can run on NYG if you stay patient, which we don't seem to do.

Also, they have a running game and if we revert to shoddy run defense we will probably see the rook doing back flips in our end zone.

Well, mostly, I guess. But there are some QB's who really thrive under pressure. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, RGIII. I guess it surprised me because in my memory banks I had Eli as one of the QB's who dealt pretty well with pressure. I was wrong.

Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers both frazzle under pressure. QB's get so busy looking for the hit, they start making mistakes. All of them. Go back and watch Rodgers against Seattle. Watch Brees against us last game, or against the 49ers or against any team that actually brings pressure.

I hate to restate what everyone on this board is thinking, but #3 is THE key to winning this game. Plain and simple. If McClure sucks it up again like he does half the time with good pass rushers, we're screwed. It's just that simple. Yeah yeah screens, draws, no huddle all that is nice...but we won't even get to go no huddle if we don't get a first down and build some momentum on offense.

Todd McClure is so vital to this offense's success it's scary...I've debated back and forth saying "oh it's just an off day for the interior OL" but it seriously is just McClure. He has GOT to get it in gear if we stand a chance against NY.

Just stop with the McClure bush it. He and Clabo had bad pass blocking days in the two CAR games but even with those games they have been our best pass blockers.

Thru 13 games:

Konz - 4 sacks, 5 hits, 8 hurries

SackMaker - 5 sacks, 6 hits, 28 hurries

Clabo - 5 sacks, 6 hits, 19 hurries

Mud Duck - 4 sacks, 3 hits, 11 hurries

Blalock - 0 sacks, 8 hits, 19 hurries

Konz may be the biggest culprit considering he has just over half the snaps the others have. He's bleeding fast. SackMaker is returning to his sack making self. The others haven't been as bad.

Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers both frazzle under pressure. QB's get so busy looking for the hit, they start making mistakes. All of them. Go back and watch Rodgers against Seattle. Watch Brees against us last game, or against the 49ers or against any team that actually brings pressure.

I see it differently. Both of those guys have a knack for escaping and throwing the death blow. I have noticed them both starting to crack a little recently, though. Thanks for your input.

Guest Negatorris

Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers haven't been playing like they were last season. Neither of their OLs are the same from a year ago.

Its called perceptual narrowing.

The tattle tale for every QB in the NFL is watch their eyes.

If they are big as silver dollars and kinda looking all over the place.

When the QB comes up to the line with sleepy eyes and casually looks this way

then that way, he is calm and poised to strike like a Cobra.

Ryan on the other hand has a third look, that we saw in the Cardinals game.

He went from sleepy to instant terror, to really pizssed off.

Give me an Angry Ryan any day.

Eli is one of the best at taking that slide step to avoid pressure and making on rushers look like keystone cops. Very much like Brady, Brees and his brother in that regard. We have always been susceptible to the slide step. Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the league.

One thing you left off is you can run on NYG if you stay patient, which we don't seem to do.

Also, they have a running game and if we revert to shoddy run defense we will probably see the rook doing back flips in our end zone.

Very good points, my friend. I'm at work and got rushed at the end of this post. You're right, they can be run on. And our run D has to come together big time in this one.

Its called perceptual narrowing.

The tattle tale for every QB in the NFL is watch their eyes.

If they are big as silver dollars and kinda looking all over the place.

When the QB comes up to the line with sleepy eyes and casually looks this way

then that way, he is calm and poised to strike like a Cobra.

Ryan on the other hand has a third look, that we saw in the Cardinals game.

He went from sleepy to instant terror, to really pizssed off.

Give me an Angry Ryan any day.

This.