Ransack

I'm done with that assclown and his selective "punishments"

SEC decides not to suspend Quinton Dial

December, 14, 2012

Dec 14

10:46

AM ET

By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com

After further review, the SEC has decided not to punish Alabama defensive end Quinton Dial for his hit on Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in this year's SEC championship game.

This means that the SEC has decided not to suspend Dial for Alabama's meeting with Notre Dame in the Discover BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 7, but any action Alabama wants to take is fine with the league.

Here's the official statement from the SEC:

ncf_u_qdial_dj_200.jpg

Beth Hall/USA TODAY SportsThe SEC declined to suspend Quinton Dial for his late hit on Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray.

"The Southeastern Conference has completed its review of video from the 2012 SEC Football Championship Game. Several plays involving both teams were reviewed. After review, all subsequent action will be handled internally by the two institutions and the conference office is satisfied with their actions.”

Really, the main play in question was Dial's nasty hit on what appeared to be a very defenseless Murray during an interception return by Alabama safety Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix in the first half. The hit appeared to be helmet-to-helmet, but no flag was thrown. Murray stumbled to his feet after the play, but later said that he only had the wind knocked out of him.

Earlier this month, SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw told Al.com that Dial should have been penalized for his hit on Murray and that the officials "missed the call."

Here's a little of what Shaw told Al.com about reviewing the hit:

"By rule, you can't hit a defenseless player above the shoulders. What the determination needs to be is was this a defenseless player and was contact initiated above the shoulders? When we go through video review of it, that's what we'll have to determine. And then you as you break it down, did he lead with the head or lead with the shoulder? From game action, it was a personal foul regardless of how we break it down frame by frame."

This isn't the first time the league has had to deal with a hit like this. Ole Miss safety Trae Elston was suspended for the Texas game after he hit defenseless UTEP wide receiver Jordan Leslie the week prior. Like Dial, Elston wasn't flagged on the play.

The SEC ruled Elston's hit was in violation of Rule 9-1-4 of the NCAA rulebook, which reads:

"No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder."

Rule 9-1-3 also states:

"No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet."

South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger was also suspended by the SEC for a game for his hit on UAB's Patrick Hearn. Swearinger was actually flagged for the play because his helmet hit Hearn's face mask after he launched himself into Hearn.

But the league didn't suspend Vanderbilt's Andre Hal at the beginning of the season after he was flagged for launching into South Carolina tight end Justice Cunningham, causing Cunningham's helmet to fly off.

When it comes to this issue, it's all about consistency and I'm not sure the league is consistent right now. Say what you will about Murray turning into a defender on the play, but he was as defenseless as ever when Dial laid that vicious hit on him. A flag should have been thrown. We saw consistency with Swearinger being suspended after Elston, but not with Dial's hit.

Just like the officials, the league missed this one.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he should be suspended either. Murray plays Qb, he knows that there are 11 men coming for his A** when he throws an interception (Also, if he put enough air under that pass it's 6 pts and not an INT.. ended up being a 3 point swing for Bama... FG at the end wins it). Yes he should have been flagged for helmet to helmet.. But I don't think it was a "dirty" hit. He saw his chance to light up the QB and he took it. It just ticked me off that Ogletree gets flagged for helmet to helmet on his hit on McCarron... Yea the ref was "shielded" by a player, but it is the ref's job to protect the QB and he didn't there... Oh well, "if it's and buts were candy and nuts..."

I don't think he should have been suspended. Flagged...maybe. Suspended? Definitely not.

Flagged...maybe? Your kidding right? He absolutely should have been flagged, but as a UGA fan we all should be used to it. Auburn got the same treatment a few years ago. It's just normal procedure to call UGA for 15 penalties for every 1 or 2 Alabama flags, including allowing shots like these without a penalty.

Flagged...maybe? Your kidding right? He absolutely should have been flagged, but as a UGA fan we all should be used to it. Auburn got the same treatment a few years ago. It's just normal procedure to call UGA for 15 penalties for every 1 or 2 Alabama flags, including allowing shots like these without a penalty.

Bama doesn't get penalized because they are a more disciplined team. I'm a Dawgs fan, but go easy on the conspiracy theory. As for the penalty, or lack there of, my only issue is that Ogletree got penalized and Dial did not. But in reality, once Murray threw the pick, he became a defender. I understand protecting the qb, but with all this whining, tackling the qb will probably be prohibited in the near future.

Come on dude, read the rule book concerning a hit such as that one. Being a "defender" does not allow you to take vicious shots to your head. I'm not sure if it was posted already in this thread, but it specifically states that any shot that involves a player performing a helmet-to-helmet hit is a penalty.

Come on dude, read the rule book concerning a hit such as that one. Being a "defender" does not allow you to take vicious shots to your head. I'm not sure if it was posted already in this thread, but it specifically states that any shot that involves a player performing a helmet-to-helmet hit is a penalty.

Fine, penalize him 15 yds, but saying he should have been suspended is just nonsense.

But for those saying that Dial should be suspended, I assume you think that Sheldon Dawson too should be suspended for his attempt at eye gouging?

Absolutely. I have said several times that both should be suspended for their actions. If Slive is going to hand out punishments/suspensions, he needs to be consistent. For Sheldon Dawson, what is the difference between what he was doing and what Brandon Spikes was suspended for a few years ago? Nothing. Yet only Spikes was suspended. Same thing with Dial and some of the other hits recently. Either suspend everybody who does something or nobody, but don't pick and choose.

Edited by KGDawg710

While I completely understand you guys frustration and agree with almost everything said here you didn't really think he would do anything that's hurts the chances of his conference winning another National Championship did you? No commissioner of any conference would have done any different in this particular situation.

Fine, penalize him 15 yds, but saying he should have been suspended is just nonsense.

But the point of the article is, and the point that is aggravating to fans like me, is that Slive picks winners and losers. Either hand out suspensions across the board for these hits or none at all.

Absolutely. I have said several times that both should be suspended for their actions. If Slive is going to hand out punishments/suspensions, he needs to be consistent. For Sheldon Dawson, what is the difference between what he was doing and what Brandon Spikes was suspended for a few years ago? Nothing. Yet only Spikes was suspended. Same thing with Dial and some of the other hits recently. Either suspend everybody who does something or nobody, but don't pick and choose.

Well, in fairness that suspension was handed down by Meyer. Whole half-game suspension against Vandy.

The SEC should not be in the business of giving out suspensions in the first place. I posted my assessment on that when Trae Elston got hit with a suspension earlier this year. In line with that position, I do not think the SEC should have suspended Dial -- just like I do not think the SEC should have suspended Alec Ogletree or Sheldon Dawson (who were involved on two of the UGA plays that the SEC office was reviewing).

But the point of the article is, and the point that is aggravating to fans like me, is that Slive picks winners and losers. Either hand out suspensions across the board for these hits or none at all.

I think the suspensions earlier this year were ridiculous, but I also think the SEC office factored in the situation here with the next game being a Bowl. Rightly or wrongly, college football bills these bowl games as a reward for the players. Quinton Dial and Alex Ogletree are likely both playing the last game of their career over the next few weeks -- I see no greater good that comes out of making them sit out of their respective bowl games.

While I completely understand you guys frustration and agree with almost everything said here you didn't really think he would do anything that's hurts the chances of his conference winning another National Championship did you? No commissioner of any conference would have done any different in this particular situation.

yep it's clear they don't really care to protect the player. dial should have been suspended and he wasn't which says it all imo on slive and his cronies in the league office and how two faced they are. i am just happy that aaron murray was able to stay in the game instead of being knocked out of it which was dial's intent on that play. as you said the commissioner doesn't want to hurt a team's chance of winning the title which is behind this joke of a ruling. i don't believe anyone expected dial to be suspended due to the team he plays for and the game they are in. schultz article echo'd a lot of other articles on this..

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/12/14/secs-decision-to-not-suspend-dial-sends-bad-message/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

yep it's clear they don't really care to protect the player. dial should have been suspended and he wasn't which says it all imo on slive and his cronies in the league office and how two faced they are. i am just happy that aaron murray was able to stay in the game instead of being knocked out of it which was dial's intent on that play. as you said the commissioner doesn't want to hurt a team's chance of winning the title which is behind this joke of a ruling. i don't believe anyone expected dial to be suspended due to the team he plays for and the game they are in. schultz article echo'd a lot of other articles on this..

http://blogs.ajc.com...ff_schultz_blog

I guess the SEC wanted to protect Georgia in the Capitol One Bowl too with Ogletree and Dawson avoiding suspensions.

Dial and Dawson should have been suspended without a doubt. Should not have even been a penalty on Ogletree.

dawson should have gotten the same exact punishment as brandon spikes did a few years ago when he tried to remove ealey's eye which was no punishment from the sec because the coach was going to suspend him for a half. the precedent has been set there and the same goes for the hit by dial. they have clearly set the precedent with the game suspensions, but the uniform he is wearing and the game they are about to play in however means no suspension.