Wr Corp Ability To Get Separation

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody explain to me how are we still using MM playbook if he's in JAX? Wouldn't it be considered Smitty's playbook?

I would consider it MR playbook this season.

So if you think we are too conservative then put the spotlight were it belongs...QB(he got the plays he wanted)

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=122103

Quotes on Dirk:

Matt Ryan on Koetter’s first season as OC: “A lot of the offense has stayed the same. I think that’s one of the things that’s helped us. Dirk came in and changed a lot of his terminology to the terminology we’ve had. I think that’s helped everyone in the transition. I think he has brought some different elements to our offense. He’s done a great job with the vertical passing and also helped us in terms of screens.”

Brady always has defenses on their heels, a lot of OC's can be great if the defense is always on their heels. A lot of what NE does works because Tom Brady is extremely good and better then just about everyone at the little things in the game. His footwork and pocket mobility is flawless. Peyton is the best natural QB but Brady has the moves like Jagger.

I don't think he's physically limited, I think that he doesn't necessarily work on his game. His pocket mobility sucks, he still cant throw that well on the run, and he still locks onto Toney Gonzales and Roddy white. Imagine if he would go to the open receiver instead, we'd be carving defenses up.

Naw, he's physically limited. He works on his pocket mobility and footwork like crazy especially this off-season from people close to the organization. When it comes down to it, he just isn't talented enough to carry a team. He tries into improve, he works his butt off but he's limited.

I remember a thread back a couple of months ago when everyone was still in love with Koetter and someone said "every receiver always catches the ball moving toward the end zone in this offense".

One of the funnier things I've seen on here, because it was obvious we were running the exact same offense with some screen passes mixed in, and receivers are never moving toward the end zone when they catch a screen pass.

it confuses me because I watched a lot of Jax games when we got him and their offense always caught the ball on the move. in 2010, they had a QB fake play that Garard literally would walk in the end zone. I was expecting to see a little of that and so far nada.

it confuses me because I watched a lot of Jax games when we got him and their offense always caught the ball on the move. in 2010, they had a QB fake play that Garard literally would walk in the end zone. I was expecting to see a little of that and so far nada.

Ryan doesn't throw players open and never has, where have you been all these years man. You guys are blaming all of Matt Ryan's weaknesses on everyone else again.

Naw, he's physically limited. He works on his pocket mobility and footwork like crazy especially this off-season from people close to the organization. When it comes down to it, he just isn't talented enough to carry a team. He tries into improve, he works his butt off but he's limited.

what the use of working on it and come game time he throws the ball away like a scared little girl. He's shown he can run out of the pocket, its just that he gets scared of phantom pressure and panics and must throw it to TG even if he is bracketed by 3 guys.

what the use of working on it and come game time he throws the ball away like a scared little girl. He's shown he can run out of the pocket, its just that he gets scared of phantom pressure and panics and must throw it to TG even if he is bracketed by 3 guys.

Matt is mechanical, he kind of plays like a high IQ robot.

Do Roddy Julio and hd get enough separation particularly when in press coverage? When we see man v man coverage It seems we lack separation.

No and that's because of the type of routes their running. Leave the comeback routes in the past (allows CBs to stay on them). With these guys speed they need slants, screens, crossing routes, etc. that will allow Ryan to hit them on the move for YAC. Julio left the entire Colts secondary last year on a quick slant and took it to the house. We do things that work only to never be seen again. Smitty is intent on running the ball, and I understand this need, but he's affecting the passing game now. Coaching is what's holding this team back right now offensively.

Smitty doesnt coach the offense, and we do need to establish a good run game, because against good teams matt ryan is as good as having an orange cone out there. The formula to stop ryan is simple. Overload blitz him, make him move out the pocket and throw on the run. Also step infront of RW and TG and take those throws away and he is done.

To combat this, Koetter has been trying to establish a run game.

Edited by osiruz

Smitty doesnt coach the offense, and we do need to establish a good run game, because against good teams matt ryan is as good as having an orange cone out there. The formula to stop ryan is simple. Overload blitz him, make him move out the pocket and throw on the run. Also step infront of RW and TG and take those throws away and he is done.

To combat this, Koetter has been trying to establish a run game.

I agree. . . . to fix this. . . .

'

yep they can get separation & they do but somehow our routes are still a little predictable. plus Matt still locks onto receivers. there's been a lot of times where there's an open option but Ryan goes to option 1. and the funny thing is even though he does he still is doing quite a bit of damage, so just imagine if he would scan the field.

It's the QB's job to hit the first guy that's open in the progression even if there is a better option.

Edited by ltstorm2

The things those teams do so well that the Falcons don't is just throw the ball even if the guy is covered when the defender isn't looking, and their receivers go get it. We don't throw that pass or catch that ball particularly well on a consistent basis.

It's the reason that man to man is an absolute disaster against the Packers and Patriots, but exactly the way you want to cover the Falcons.

Speaking of which, when is the last time Ryan threw a back shoulder pass?

I think the last time would be the Redskins game.. http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap1000000077791/WK-5-Can-t-Miss-Play-Jones-ing-for-a-score

I think Julio had a similar TD grab vs. the Chargers in week 3.. But I definitely agree - we don't throw those passes enough. Julio has the ability to come down with these catches, so why not take advantage of it?

yes ..this is the NFL wrs are usually not wide open ..Julio sometimes struggle with press coverage but Roddy works his craft ..has more to do with route design getting our wrs in space

Julio just has to get respect from the refs. He's not struggling in press, he's getting held a lot. He could switch roles and run routes more like Roddy, but that's how they work together. I think HD could get a little better separation, but his slot role is not of the normal. It's not like Welker's role in NE. Tony Gonzalez is more of our slot.

I think the last time would be the Redskins game.. http://www.nfl.com/v...ing-for-a-score

I think Julio had a similar TD grab vs. the Chargers in week 3.. But I definitely agree - we don't throw those passes enough. Julio has the ability to come down with these catches, so why not take advantage of it?

Agree - those two plays are perfect examples of what the Falcons should be doing a lot more often.

I mean...what's a better option, giving Julio a chance to go up and get it, or throwing a 4 yard check down to Jason Snelling on 3rd and 9?

Go down swinging, that's all I'm saying.

Julio just has to get respect from the refs. He's not struggling in press, he's getting held a lot. He could switch roles and run routes more like Roddy, but that's how they work together. I think HD could get a little better separation, but his slot role is not of the normal. It's not like Welker's role in NE. Tony Gonzalez is more of our slot.

I think Roddy struggles more with getting respect from the refs than Julio. It really appears to me that the referrees hate Roddy White, as the calls or no calls always go against that guy.