Heads Up

tone357

Not exactly Falcon related but.......Tune your tv to NBCSp tonight at 9pm, on DISH channel 159 for the story of one of, if not the greatest running back to ever play the game, Earl Campbell. The program is called Still Standing. If you're to young to remember Earl Campbell, imagine Adrian Petersen about 50 pounds heavier, and 10 times meaner. Earl Campbell was a beast before they started using the word beast. A great story that will bring tears to your eyes, and that don't happen to me very much.

Campbell was awesome in his first 3 years in the league. Teams stacked the box on the OIlers and he'd still plow them over. That was a great era for running backs. Earl Campbell not only ran hard, but he was very fast. William Andrews was somewhat like that as was Herschel Walker. You don't see backs with that size and speed on the edges anymore. Peterson is like that in a way, but still not quite. DB stood no chance against Campbell, and often would avoid taking any kind of direct hit.

In my opinion, Campbell was the most imposing running-back in the history of the NFL. Dude was a freight train that punished players that tried to tackle him. Too bad that all those punishing blows that he put on defensive players eventually punished him in the end. I saw on some sports show about a year or two ago where Campbell said that he could barely walk nowadays.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

Greatest stiff arm I ever saw was Earl turning the corner running to his left.... the Saints (hahaha) CB came up and launched like Superman, or a missile, to try to hammer Earl... only thing was Earl threw out the right arm, caught him with his hand square on the crown of the helmet, just as he was turning up .field, and LITERALLY shoved the defender backwards about 3 yards as he was churning up field.

I sat there going WTF just happened ph34r.png ?!?! and you could hear the game announcer almost swallow his tongue in shock, then he stammered over trying to recount it again.... you could tell both the announcers was just dumbfounded and couldn't think of enough adjectives to describe it!!

I've tried to look for that play in years since on video but have never found it.

P.S. having grown up watching Earl Campbell and Walter Peyton, also Rocky Blier, run with that Warrior spirit is largely why I get so F'nnn sick of watching Turner! Turner still has some ability to run like that.... but it's now with the frequency of snow in Atlanta.

Edited by m2Falcons

If you watch the program, you'll learn that football alone was not what devastated his health. He had a spinal condition that he didn't know he had. Doc said he probably had it in his 20's and if he had taken a shot in the back, it would have paralyzed him. The reason he can barely walk now is because of 5 back surgeries, and having had both knees replaced.