Atlanta Falcons Now...and Beyond!

SyCo

I was doing some serious football thinking today at work today. For starters, we're destined for one and done right? It's hard to imagine either way. This season I've watched this team look better than it's ever been before, appear that they could dominate any team in the NFL, and finally live up to the hype, and potential of the players on the team. This season they've also looked more horrible than anyone could of possibly imagine, even in wins. Mike Smith's stubborn loyalty to Turner, Oline inconsistency, dropped passes, spaghetti armed attempts at tackling. So as we finish up the season, we're right back to where we started. Uncertain, and dreading the playoffs. If anyone thinks we're destined for the superbowl, and this next month is going to be a cakewalk, you're a moron. But if you're certain this team is nothing but a stepping stone for whoever is lucky enough to draw us this year.. you're also a moron. We've got just as good a chance as anyone. There isn't one NFC team completely unstoppable. I've seen every potential playoff team look great, and look aweful.. just like the falcons.

But in any case, I'm not completely hopeless for this team. I'm a falcon fan for life, and when I see promise, that excites me. Shred made a comment earlier about who's head would roll for this year's playoff blunder, and no one could really we at fault, and we'll probably never get there.. but I'll do something that I love holding over rival fan's heads.. and I advise anyone to pin this thread for later use, because I'm guaranteeing next year the falcons will have no worse than a 11-5 record, win the division, and run deep in the playoffs. Stupid right? Calling all this before preseason, free agency, draft, superbowl, playoffs, seasons over? It just makes to much sense. It's a sure bet.. You guys know I'm no homeboy, but everything with this team is falling in place, and nothing baring serious injuries, natural disaster, or something completely unpredictable, is going to derail this team. We're on the cusp of seeing the most complete Atlanta Falcon team in history, and here's why..

Our QB is a heading towards top five position, no he's not "elite". MVP talk was stupid. But he's continually gotten better each season, and continues to improve. Alot of his problems have been the result of the Oline and Fatass turner, but I'll get to that. Also, look at the depth at QB.. Luke Mcwhatever... he's aight, Dom Davis is the man. He'll probably move to number 2. If he's picked up the offense by next year, I'd feel very comfortable if he had to go in for a game or two if Ryan goes down.

Next, the clouds will part, the sun will shine, angels will sing, and Turner will depart from Atlanta. Ill shed a single tear as they raise his number in the ring of honor or whatever.. they can retire it for all I care... just get his sloppy *** off this team. There's NO WAY IN **** they bring Turner back. JR has done a fine job in the role they've given him, and hopefully they can expand on his strengths. Another RB will come in via draft, and I imagine it'll be a slender, faster version of Turner to balance things out. Snellings still going to be around to catch a few passes out of the backfield, and finally we may get to see what Bradie Ewings all about. It'll be like getting an extra awesome draft pick.

I feel great about our Oline next year. We've invested heavily the past couple of seasons, and I think with one more high pick, it'll finally start to pay off. Konz, and Hawley should be well adjusted to what's going on. Baker and Clabo are going to be question marks, we'll see how that plays out. We'll probably go after a good tackle. If we don't, I'll still feel good about the group.

Gonzo is either going to leave because we won it all, or leave because he's tired of being on a team of losers lol.. either way, we're going to need a TE. I actually like Palmer, but he's no Tony. I'd rather pick up a proven free agent for this position. Maybe they can spot a stud 3rd rounder.. but they know we need a good TE, and I'm not worried about this.

On defense, we're alot better off than it may seem. Our secondary is as solid as ever, probably our strength when in years past it was always a gaping hole. We'll probably let Grimes walk, (or limp). Asante, Robinson, Mclain, and Owens have all done well. We'll resign willy, and we've already got decoud locked up I believe.

Abe will be missed, but can be replaced. (on the field not in my heart wub.png ). We've also got a couple promising Ends that need a shot.

Our rotation on Dline is solid. Perry may be wobbling back to Mississippi. Peters and Babs are a decent pair, but I'm really anxious to see more of Walker, and Robertson.. they've made an impact in the short playing time they've received, and I think they have alot to offer.

Not to mention we've still got Roddy white and julio fkin Jones.. so cheer up shred n pals.. dark days are behind us... our teams only getting better, and the window is wide open son!

Although I'm not going to guarantee next year's performance, i do agree that they should have a very good team next year.

As for this year, the loss in Carolina was discouraging because for 35 minutes we were outgained something like 356-66, out first-downed something like 16-4, and obviously out-scored 23-0. None of this swells me with confidence.

But it is also too easy to wallow in the gloom and doom of Sunday's beatdown and forget what this year's team actually does well, which is:

* A better passing attack than in previous years IMO especially when you consider the MIA running game.

* Generally more reliable pass protection.

* Generally more pressure on the QB than in previous years.

* Generally better D on 3rd down and the red zone.

* As always, under Smitty, a team that is in the top third in TO ratio and penalties.

But the Falcons are generally inconsistent in some aspect of the game and that leads to closer games than we expect.

If they can improve their consistency then I believe they can hang with anyone on any field. I hope that both the O-Line and D-Line raise their level of play in the playoffs - it all starts right there - and I believe that both lines are better this year than last (except in run-blocking, where they've regressed badly). Granted neither line is considered great by anyone.

I am going to say it again.

You guys are NUTS!

Football is so much about timing... the Falcons were 2 ticks off on Sunday for about 30 minutes.

Carolina was DEAD ON for the entire game.

They were in absolute PRECISION mode.

I was there... them dudes were tight.

So, lets go back to the Saints game (which was only the week before)... whats wrong with the Falcons???

WOW... 1 bad performance off what amounted to a bye week??? Really?

You guys are NUTS!

Football is so much about timing... the Falcons were 2 ticks off on Sunday for about 30 minutes.

So, lets go back to the Saints game (which was only the week before)... whats wrong with the Falcons???

I agree with what you're saying but I think the doubts have crept back in many people's minds because it is concerning to see an 11-1 team be totally stopped on O while simultaneously being eviscerated on D for the first 35 minutes of the game.

This may sound stupid but how they play against NYG is actally just as important as if they win or lose to determine if last week was an outlier or the start of a trend.

True, and it is a meaningful game as far as HFA as well. So there are no excuses come this Sunday. The Falcons need it, the GMEN need it, it is basically a precursor to a playoff game. A poor showing here when you know the stakes would not bode week for the Falcons heading into postseason!

todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself WFW smile.png

You guys are NUTS!

We could always get back to the previous two games before that, and before that if you like. If your timing theory holds up then Carolina out timed you the game before as well, just a boneheaded defensive play let you steal the victory. It's more about matchups than anything else.

We could always get back to the previous two games before that, and before that if you like. If your timing theory holds up then Carolina out timed you the game before as well, just a boneheaded defensive play let you steal the victory. It's more about matchups than anything else.

No he is right it is about timing. The Panthers had a banged up secondary, we had all three of our starting receivers. There is no reason they shouldnt have been able to get a first down in the first half. Doesnt matter how much talent you have if they dont play up to their abilities you wont win simple.

Carolina does matchup well. No doubt about it. Cam is a handfull and more.

Where the Falcons missed at was on offense... receivers turning left, ball right type mistakes.

Usually small errors, but Carolina clicked on EVERYTHING... sometimes, the other team just has their act together and if you aint perfect...

I havent been around to be hurt by the Falcons like obviously a lot of people here have experienced.

Maybe all these tailgates are taking their toll and I am not seeing what I think I am seeing...

I didnt see the Giants beat the Saints last week (driving back from Charlotte) but I hear they were sharp and on point.

I think this game will be a good challenge for the Falcons and maybe get some of these folks back on board...

Geesh guys, I'm the newbie here... get some nuts and get back on the bandwagon before the wheels roll you over.

Its the NFL... now lets get out there and make Peytons lil brother our b!tch!

Carolina does matchup well. No doubt about it. Cam is a handfull and more.

Where the Falcons missed at was on offense... receivers turning left, ball right type mistakes.

Usually small errors, but Carolina clicked on EVERYTHING... sometimes, the other team just has their act together and if you aint perfect...

I havent been around to be hurt by the Falcons like obviously a lot of people here have experienced.

Maybe all these tailgates are taking their toll and I am not seeing what I think I am seeing...

I didnt see the Giants beat the Saints last week (driving back from Charlotte) but I hear they were sharp and on point.

I think this game will be a good challenge for the Falcons and maybe get some of these folks back on board...

Geesh guys, I'm the newbie here... get some nuts and get back on the bandwagon before the wheels roll you over.

Its the NFL... now lets get out there and make Peytons lil brother our b!tch!

It's the norm round hear. Gross overreaction.