Somebody Explain To Me How Mike Smith Is "conservative"

Peyton

you are skewing your question to fit your point rather than just being intellectually honest.

Mike Smith is not conservative from point of view "should I go for it?" Mike Smith will go for it on 4th down. Mike Smith will attempt the 53 yard field goal, etc. That really has nothing to do with most criticisms of myself and others on this board - and you know it, Peyton. Nobody is criticizing Mike Smith that way...

The criticisms of Mike Smith are mostly as follows:

1. if Smith gets up by more than one score in 2nd half, he will take his foot off the gas. This has been well chronicled from year-to-year. The 2nd half of this year this criticism has not come into play as much because the Falcons have been so bad on offense that they have not been playing with much of a lead.
  2. General lack of "feel" for the rhythm of the game. Smith seems to be struggling with when to go into and out of the hurry-up offense. Sometimes you run, sometimes you don't but Smith puts Matt Ryan in too many 3rd down and longs with the lack of running game and the predictable conservative passes.
  3. Throwing 5 yard passes when you need 10 yards and throwing 10 yard passes when you need 15 yards. We consistently are not aggressive enough in down and distance situations.
  4. Falcons are a rhythm offense now and Falcons just seem to have this identity crisis sometimes. We have to pass to set-up the run now because we don't run it well. First down is the best down to pass it on with this weak offensive line. The run should not be used often to give Matt 3rd and shorts. The pass should be used like this on 1st downs.....running should be much more strategic. You can still get your 20-25 rushes in the game, but you should not have most of them being on first down.

My criticism is not that Mike Smith is too "conservative".....

My criticism is Mike Smith wants his offenses to be run a certain way and he fails to adapt to his personnel. Its not even about "the number of runs versus the number of passes"......

its game flow.

I don't think smith calls the plays on offense

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 - Again, 2 losses or something crazy stupid when leading after the half. How is that a problem?

#3 - How is this true when we are one of the best 3rd down teams in the league?

we are one of the best third down teams in the league? really? does 1-for-11 ring a bell two weeks ago......Cards game? this past week?.......

So you think that the Falcons lost to the Giants and the Packers because he is conservative? I don't. I think the Falcons lost because the those other teams just were better.

No, I never said that....but obviously Smitty sees something wrong in the way he prepared this team for both of those games or he wouldn't have made a special point during the off season of saying how he and the organization needed to take a fresh look at how to get ready for playoff games.

Smitty made this self-evaluation.....

we are one of the best third down teams in the league? really? does 1-for-11 ring a bell two weeks ago......Cards game? this past week?.......

Even after that 1 for 11, the Falcons were still ranked 2nd in the NFL behind the Pats in 3rd down conversions. And they still are, even after yesterday's performance.

So yes, if being in the top 2 is being one of the best, then the Falcons are one of the best.

Hard to spot that guy though if your center is blocking like Dakota Fanning.

And who's fault is that? Only one guy to blame - TD - who's clearly at odds with the rest of the team. TD has as grand vision of the Greatest Show on Turf in which we pump money into offensive skilled positions like Manning's Colts or Brees Saints and neglect everything else. TD's the guy that buys the shiney laptop with all the bells and whistles but that laptop has terrible reliability and won't last you a year.

The guys actualy on the ground see what talents we have and lack and gameplan accordingly.

Edited by Mr. Right

3 for 19 in the last 2 games.......

Well we have gotten to see the back up linemen and LBs play during the preseason. They don't look too good.

I was high on Sidbury this year, then he had the worst preseason I've ever seen a DE have. I think they would cut him if they weren't thin already at the position.

Preseason and regular season two different monsters. Look at McClain. Looked awful in preseason. Has played great during the season. Lions 4-0 in preseason. 0-16 during regular season.

Other teams get these one trick players and let them do just that. Sidbury has a great first step. So does Mass. Put them in positions to just use that. Look at Aldon Smith and JPP their first years. They only played 3rd downs because they weren't good at stopping the run. The Falcons on the other hand would force them to play all 3 downs because "that's what DEs are supposed to do". Quizz is phenomenal in the open field. Took us how long to figure this out?

And who's fault is that? Only one guy to blame - TD - who's clearly at odds with the rest of the team. TD has as grand vision of the Greatest Show on Turf in which we pump money into offensive skilled positions like Manning's Colts or Brees Saints and neglect everything else. TD's the guy that buys the shiney laptop with all the bells and whistles but that laptop has terrible reliability and won't last you a year.

The guys actualy on the ground see what talents we have and lack and gameplan accordingly.

TD does seem to have a blind spot when it comes to the lines...Not going to Crazytown with you and some of your compadres though who want TD and Ryan on the first thing smoking out of town.

Preseason and regular season two different monsters. Look at McClain. Looked awful in preseason. Has played great during the season. Lions 4-0 in preseason. 0-16 during regular season.

Other teams get these one trick players and let them do just that. Sidbury has a great first step. So does Mass. Put them in positions to just use that. Look at Aldon Smith and JPP their first years. They only played 3rd downs because they weren't good at stopping the run. The Falcons on the other hand would force them to play all 3 downs because "that's what DEs are supposed to do". Quizz is phenomenal in the open field. Took us how long to figure this out?

I'm starting to wonder why we even draft some of these guys. Lately it's like if you're drafted by the Atlanta Falcons you're either going to suffer a major injury or get so buried in the depth chart/practice squad your family starts putting up fliers with your picture on them.

I didn't think McClain looked awful in preseason. I saw the guy making plays. Maybe I watched the wrong games.

I wouldn't compare our guys to JPP and Aldon Smith. There is a reason those guys were taken in the top half of the first round, and our guys were taken in the 3rd - 4th round.

It's like the Chargers with Sproles. Very talented player. They just didn't know what to do with him because he was a RB that didn't run like LT. Quizz doesn't run like Turner but they insisted on using him like that because that's all they can relate it to. I truly believe he is holding Koetter back, not as a conservative HC but so he can have something in the playoffs "not on tape". The Giants said they knew everything the Falcons were running remember. This has Smitty on his toes unnecessarily.

Please somebody, anybody, explain to me where this complaint that I see over and over again that Mike Smith is "conservative".

Please give me specifics, because I have no clue what any of you are talking about.

Help me understand.

In the past five seasons have we tried a fake punt, field goal, or unexpected onsides kick?

I'm starting to wonder why we even draft some of these guys. Lately it's like if you're drafted by the Atlanta Falcons you're either going to suffer a major injury or get so buried in the depth chart/practice squad your family starts putting up fliers with your picture on them.

I fully agree. If you aren't taken in the first three rounds by the Falcons, expect to ride the bench for 3 seasons and some more in your contract year while unproductive guys in front on you keep playing.

I didn't think McClain looked awful in preseason. I saw the guy making plays. Maybe I watched the wrong games.

I wouldn't compare our guys to JPP and Aldon Smith. There is a reason those guys were taken in the top half of the first round, and our guys were taken in the 3rd - 4th round.

Talent wise, no JPP and Smith are better. But the same situation. You can't deny that. Mass and Sid were supposed to be pass rushers getting sacks. Third and long would be a good time to test them to see if they can get the job done right? That's what they did with JPP and Smith, since they weren't going to stop the run but were special at getting to the QB.

Wont plug in HD as a PR because he's afraid a receiver that is never utilized anyway will get injured.

That's really an excellent point.

I think too many people (some in this thread) automatically assume that calling Smith conservative only relates to actual play calling (which he admittedly isn't specifically responsible for....philosophy yes, actual plays, no).

Look at Dominique Franks as our punt returner. That's a conservative approach to what could have been at least a marginally more dynamic approach to how the Falcons play football.

There's no one on this team who could be a better PR than Dominique Franks? He catches it. He doesn't muff it...he also rarely gets any meaningful returns.

That's conservative.

you are skewing your question to fit your point rather than just being intellectually honest.

Mike Smith is not conservative from point of view "should I go for it?" Mike Smith will go for it on 4th down. Mike Smith will attempt the 53 yard field goal, etc. That really has nothing to do with most criticisms of myself and others on this board - and you know it, Peyton. Nobody is criticizing Mike Smith that way...

The criticisms of Mike Smith are mostly as follows:

1. if Smith gets up by more than one score in 2nd half, he will take his foot off the gas. This has been well chronicled from year-to-year. The 2nd half of this year this criticism has not come into play as much because the Falcons have been so bad on offense that they have not been playing with much of a lead.
  2. General lack of "feel" for the rhythm of the game. Smith seems to be struggling with when to go into and out of the hurry-up offense. Sometimes you run, sometimes you don't but Smith puts Matt Ryan in too many 3rd down and longs with the lack of running game and the predictable conservative passes.
  3. Throwing 5 yard passes when you need 10 yards and throwing 10 yard passes when you need 15 yards. We consistently are not aggressive enough in down and distance situations.
  4. Falcons are a rhythm offense now and Falcons just seem to have this identity crisis sometimes. We have to pass to set-up the run now because we don't run it well. First down is the best down to pass it on with this weak offensive line. The run should not be used often to give Matt 3rd and shorts. The pass should be used like this on 1st downs.....running should be much more strategic. You can still get your 20-25 rushes in the game, but you should not have most of them being on first down.

My criticism is not that Mike Smith is too "conservative".....

My criticism is Mike Smith wants his offenses to be run a certain way and he fails to adapt to his personnel. Its not even about "the number of runs versus the number of passes"......

its game flow.

^^^^^^ Well said and right on the mark.