Somebody Explain To Me How Mike Smith Is "conservative"

Peyton

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, NO PROBLEM

Lets throw out all the bs games where we are far favorites, throw out all the games where we are trailing, throw out all the calls that are no huddle with Ryan at the wheel, and then watch what the team does with a lead, against an elite team, or in the clutch.

If you can honestly do that, and try hard at doing it honestly, all youll have is turner runs, short pass, two wide sets and safe calls. Pair that with terrible clock management, challenging unchallengeable plays, and wasting timeouts, with going for it when we shouldn't, not going when we should, punting when we need to go, and kicking a luckstroke fg in an obvious punt situation, and you will see what i watch.

THanks,

Remember that change in philosophy he was talking about at the end of last year. It seems to be a change from a methodical, poses the ball, milk the clock, run the ball type offense to a more pass oriented offense. The conservatism comes in once we have any kind of lead. He starts trying to milk the clock too early, lets his foot of the pedal. He doesnt seem to have a killer instinct or desire to embarrass teams the way other coaches do. There is a reason all of our games are so close. Mike Smiths conservative attitude.

OK, NO PROBLEM

Lets throw out all the bs games where we are far favorites, throw out all the games where we are trailing, throw out all the calls that are no huddle with Ryan at the wheel, and then watch what the team does with a lead, against an elite team, or in the clutch.

If you can honestly do that, and try hard at doing it honestly, all youll have is turner runs, short pass, two wide sets and safe calls. Pair that with terrible clock management, challenging unchallengeable plays, and wasting timeouts, with going for it when we shouldn't, not going when we should, punting when we need to go, and kicking a luckstroke fg in an obvious punt situation, and you will see what i watch.

THanks,

Wouldn't going for that long FG be the opposite of conservative?

OK, NO PROBLEM

THanks,

Most of what you listed there is just mistakes, it's not being conservative.

If the complaint is about the way the Falcons play with a lead, then it's a dumb complaint. The Falcons are the best in the NFL at holding a lead.

Remember that change in philosophy he was talking about at the end of last year. It seems to be a change from a methodical, poses the ball, milk the clock, run the ball type offense to a more pass oriented offense. The conservatism comes in once we have any kind of lead. He starts trying to milk the clock too early, lets his foot of the pedal. He doesnt seem to have a killer instinct or desire to embarrass teams the way other coaches do. There is a reason all of our games are so close. Mike Smiths conservative attitude.

I don't buy that at all. I think we've had so many close games this year because the offense just hasn't been able to score as many TDs as they should.

it's the biggest misconception on this message board

Mike Smith is the same head coach that went for it on 4th and 1 on his 30 in overtime

yet he is labeled conservative

Man it's been a while since you and I agreed on something, but we are right there on this one.

Most of what you listed there is just mistakes, it's not being conservative.

If the complaint is about the way the Falcons play with a lead, then it's a dumb complaint. The Falcons are the best in the NFL at holding a lead.

Therein lies the issue for many. It's not that we lose. It's that we don't throttle teams, and part of that has to do with how we hold leads or how we approach "lesser" teams.

For the most obvious answers, look at the three playoff loses and all big games, like this one coming up against the elite. Come out scared, play scared, remain scared, and pray

Mike Smith didn't do anything conservative in any of those playoff games. The Falcons just got beat.

Therein lies the issue for many. It's not that we lose. It's that we don't throttle teams, and part of that has to do with how we hold leads or how we approach "lesser" teams.

This is the first year we are struggling with lesser teams. We've normally taken them down hard.

Nailed it.

This is the first year we are struggling with lesser teams. We've normally taken them down hard.

That has bred the misconception that we are a pushover type team. I'd argue for our play making us consistent. We find ways to win where the other "elite" teams have not, hence us being 11-2 and the "elite" teams not being 11-2. Yesterday was the stinker of the bunch,and my concern isn't Smitty, yet. I just don't like how our offense is trending lately.

here is the best proof of all................Before half, when we were 3rd down, 16 secs left, ryan threw a pass to the 6 or so yd line and he was letting the clock tick down to kick a fg.

Someone had to tell him, hey dumb Fluck, call a time out so we can go after the end zone , oh ****, Timeout.

he was so focused on just getting a fg, that he forgot to realize a td was right there.

Thats conservative

going for the td thats elite and aggressive and confident

I don't buy that at all. I think we've had so many close games this year because the offense just hasn't been able to score as many TDs as they should.

I don't care if you buy it or not. IT IS the reason we play so many close games and the reason Ryan has so many come from behind victories. We get a lead and he clams up, tries not to lose, Plays to milk the clock. Milking the clock is ok, but not starting in the late second early third quarter like he does sometimes. Its his philosophy, ball control. No matter how much he might want to change that, its who he is.