Future Of Atlanta's Defense

RYNE

This is off subject in a way, really just tired of looking at the same posts over and over again and the piss-ing and moaning. I have my own opinions on how our team is, but I don't even want to waste my time posting them.

-ANYWAYS-

What do you guys think the future of our defense will be next year and in the years to come? Do you think we will stay 4-3 or transition to a 3-4? Or do you think we will continue to play hybrid?

Personally I hope we transition to a 3-4 because I like it a lot better. When you think about it we don't really have anyone that is just a stand out 4-3 player except for Abe. With Abe getting long in the tooth, and presumably not having many years left I wonder if we will move to the 3-4 permanently? I think Nolan would much prefer to run the 3-4 but I wonder if Smith would allow the complete switch.

For the first year we could play:

Babs and Peters at DE,

Play Abe and Kroy at one Rush LB

Draft an athletic Freak to play the other rush LB

Play Spoon and Dent at the two MLB spots

Sign or draft a big hog to play the nose

I think that it could work, I know there would be some growing pains with it but I would be for it.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see many DT's in the draft to play the nose and traditionally the ones that are there are overdrafted. John Jenkins does not impress me.

While the top three defenses are 3-4 they have had the same vet NT for a while. Hampton, Sopoaga, and Cody. The texans use a smaller NT like the cowboys with Ratliff. That could be an option for us. The patriots, jets, and dolphins all have big bodies in the middle. I think the ability to play the technique at NT is more important that the weight. That is just a guess based on the success of Jay Ratliff and Shaun Cody at the position. Could just be Wade Phillips scheme.

I dont see many DT's in the draft to play the nose and traditionally the ones that are there are overdrafted. John Jenkins does not impress me.

While the top three defenses are 3-4 they have had the same vet NT for a while. Hampton, Sopoaga, and Cody. The texans use a smaller NT like the cowboys with Ratliff. That could be an option for us. The patriots, jets, and dolphins all have big bodies in the middle. I think the ability to play the technique at NT is more important that the weight. That is just a guess based on the success of Jay Ratliff and Shaun Cody at the position. Could just be Wade Phillips scheme.

I think it is wade Phillips scheme moreso than those players cause the cowboys defense has not been the same since wade left. I understand that weight is not as important as technique but we don't have a NT on this team currently we have quick penetrating Dt's but that works for our scheme as a 4-3 but it leaves us vulnerable to the run which is why we see 3 DT now on running downs

I agree Bier-fan. Im sure there is someone maybe via free agency we could bring in to do the job. Do u guys think Smitty would allow it? He has always been a 4-3 guy hasnt he? I mean i know he isn't technically running it but its still his choice

Jesus... these message boards are pathetic these days. It used to be a bunch of people who would have discussions about the team. Now it is a bunch or cry babies and idiots like this crucifixz guy who come in with their ********-*** comments. Congratulations dude... your really funny, everyone thinks your cool. Trust me.

I don't know what we'll do on defense in the coming years, but I'm guessing that the D is where the teams focus will be for the next 2 drafts. I think are next FA acquisition will be for the OL, because we haven't made a splash in that area since forever. We're going to have to get a suitable replacement for ABE, because the clock is running out on him, and FA may not get us anything all that great in the next 2 seasons. It's to soon to see what the draft projections could realistically be at this time, but I think NT and DE will be what we focus on.

Jesus... these message boards are pathetic these days. It used to be a bunch of people who would have discussions about the team. Now it is a bunch or cry babies and idiots like this crucifixz guy who come in with their ********-*** comments. Congratulations dude... your really funny, everyone thinks your cool. Trust me.

Yep to true they are reaching new low's every year.

I'm interested to see what Mike Nolan hits TD up this off season though I personally think we'll be sticking with the hybrid myself and I hope once and for all we get a decent pass rushing DE to lend Abe some help.

Yea obviously I see that. That's why I called it a hybrid. Whats your point? The question was what do u think we will do? Stay hybrid, move to 3-4

Here's my thing...we don't need a big fat NT clogging up the middle because he'd only be useful when we want to stuff the run, which, in an ideal situation, would be never. Our ideal situation is getting a big lead on the other team and then sitting back and defending the pass. We haven't been able to do that for the last few games because the offense has been sputtering, but look at the New Orleans game for a perfect example. We got ahead 17-0 and suddenly they stopped even trying to run, leading to Breesy's 5 picks. That's our perfect game. Same thing can be said about the Denver game...early lead, opponent abandons the run, Hall of Fame QB throws three picks early and never gets out of the hole. That's the kind of football we want to be playing, but our offense needs to click for the first 10 minutes of the game in order to set the pace for the other 50.

I think Sean Cody and Ratliff will be FA at the end of the year. I wish we had a chance to draft Star Louteli. He looks like a Haloti Ngata clone. I could be wrong though. He may flop, but he looks promising. Or big Hankins. But those two will be long gone.

May have to find a stop gap next year if we don't draft one. I am sure Mike Nolan will be lobbying hard for a big nasty.

I wouldn't have a problem with changing to a 3-4, but we have to get a big NT

We could have a shot at Louis Nix, 6'5 326lb in the 1st, or Daniel McCullers 6'6 377lb in the 2nd

RDE- Cory Peters 6'3 305

NT- Daniel McCullers 6'6 377

LDE- Vance Walker 6'2 304

OLB- Kroy Biermann

ILB- Stephen Nicholas

ILB- Akeem Dent

OLB- Shawn Weatherspoon

CB- Asante Samuel

CB- Robert McClain

SS- William Moore

FS- Thomas Decoud

Here's my thing...we don't need a big fat NT clogging up the middle because he'd only be useful when we want to stuff the run, which, in an ideal situation, would be never. Our ideal situation is getting a big lead on the other team and then sitting back and defending the pass. We haven't been able to do that for the last few games because the offense has been sputtering, but look at the New Orleans game for a perfect example. We got ahead 17-0 and suddenly they stopped even trying to run, leading to Breesy's 5 picks. That's our perfect game. Same thing can be said about the Denver game...early lead, opponent abandons the run, Hall of Fame QB throws three picks early and never gets out of the hole. That's the kind of football we want to be playing, but our offense needs to click for the first 10 minutes of the game in order to set the pace for the other 50.

Thats why you need a 6'5 326 lb Nt/Dt someone that can play both ways

Thats why you need a 6'5 326 lb Nt/Dt someone that can play both ways

This makes sense how exactly? I mean, if we want to bring in a cheap free agent, sure, but it's not worth wasting a draft pick on someone who'll play less than 25% of the snaps in close games, and even LESS than that in games where we get big leads.

This makes sense how exactly? I mean, if we want to bring in a cheap free agent, sure, but it's not worth wasting a draft pick on someone who'll play less than 25% of the snaps in close games, and even LESS than that in games where we get big leads.

The Pats always have big leads and Wilfork stays in. Nolan likes his NT, and he uses them alot. They are not just used to stuff the run. They can be used to eat up blocks that require the offensive tackles to crash to the inside to help, thus freeing up edge rushers to go one on one or completely unblocked.

He brought Fields with him from 49ers to the Broncos . When he did that it allowed Elvis Dumervil to have a break out season. His defenses have always had a big nasty. Issac Sopoga and Fields with 9ers, Fields in Denver, and that big Somoan in Miami that helped to free up Wake.

Edited by Sui_Generis

i could see us staying in the hybrid, and running a base 4-3 we just need a little bit of help on the d line, i personally like the 425 defense we run with dunta in the slot wit mclain and asante on the outside, thats been pretty effective on passing downs imo and dunta has came in and laid the wood in those situations.

I say the hindrance is the same thing that ails us in a 4-3...we don't have a big nasty anywhere in the middle. We need a big, bad-body dude that can get some push and wreak havoc on Oline, QB's and backs from the middle. If we had at least ONE beast we would be better in the 4-3, not to mention the hybrid.

The Pats always have big leads and Wilfork stays in. Nolan likes his NT, and he uses them alot. They are not just used to stuff the run. They can be used to eat up blocks that require the offensive tackles to crash to the inside to help, thus freeing up edge rushers to go one on one or completely unblocked.

He brought Fields with him from 49ers. We he did that it allowed Elvis Dumervil to have a break out season. His defenses have always had a big nasty. Issac Sopoga and Fields with 9ers, Fields in Denver, and that big Somoan in Miami that helped to free up Wake.

Wilfork has also had some of his worst seasons as an every down player. He's out of his element on passing downs and is doing anything but thrive in that role. You're only proving my point. And Ronald Fields has never played for a great defense. 2006 San Fran gave up the most points in the league. 2007 they were 20th in points against. 2008 23rd. 2009 Denver was 12th and when Fields left San Fransisco and was replaced by Aubrayo Franklin and suddenly San Fran's D was #4 in the NFL in points allowed.