The First Sack Of The Carolina Game

netrto4150

Take a slow motion look at Ryan's first sack of the day during the 2nd down after we got our first 1st down.

1) Clabo had #95 sealed up.

2) McClure had #96 sealed up

3) Turner moved to block the hole and Ryan's left was clear with no pressure

4) Konz was between McClure and Clabo: helpeing McClure handle #96......... which they were doing perfectly well!

5) Ryan had dropped back nicely but our receivers had man coverage and didn't try to break free

6) Konz for reasons unknown leaves McClure to push #95 which Clabo was handling.

7) Konz actually pushes #95 away from Clabo and into the path of Ryan who had dropped back

8) Konz leaving McClure had made McClure unbalanced allowing #96 to push past

9) Ryan has no pocket and is sacked!

The whole problem stemmed from Konz inexplicably leaving his duty!!

This play has bugged me from the moment it happened and all through today.

I heard Falcon's radio talk about poor footwork from the OL and their problem of actually rushing too far forward thus allowing too much gap for pass rushers,

My question is why hasn't the team coaches focused on this? If so, then why haven't they corrected it? Is it the players? Is it the coaches? Or both?

How do they expect the Offence or the D to function if the fundamental flaw at the OL is not addressed?

If GreenBay can rebuild mid season then where is TD's magic deals for the OL?

It appears to me some in the organization are just crossing their fingers and hoping!

Our C needs to be able to block on his own. But he can't.

We know there's an issue so why did Konz leave his position and effectively blow the entire play?

What training do they go through that even past mid season their role and how to execute it still doesn't come to them naturally?

We know there's an issue so why did Konz leave his position and effectively blow the entire play?

What training do they go through that even past mid season their role and how to execute it still doesn't come to them naturally?

He was probably told to keep an eye on Johnson who destroyed Clabo last time the teams met and knew a 3rd string DT was playing against McClure, who should have been fine on his own.

Charles Johnson ate Clabo lunch last game... Coach Smith said we wont single block him... Maybe Konz left McClure because he thought McClure had the 3rd string DT and it was his responsibility to help out Clabo....

So Konz, blew his assignment from the snap put McClure in an unbalanced position and then help push #95 into Ryan!

I'm not getting into a what if game, what I mean is that this OL shoulda coulda been coached better and that maybe it's a deeper frachise problem and not just a lack of talent! How involved is Smitty in this issue?

I'm just saying there's a whole load of obvious questions that shouldn't be there if this team really is in the same standing as Pats or Giants. (This isn't our 1st season talking about the OL)

Konz is playing out of position. He's used to playing at C, a position that isn't necessarily supposed to single block anyone but who's responsibility is to prevent blitzers from coming in and, if there are no blitzers, to bounce between the guards and help them and double team the DTs with their blocks. Konz was doing that, but at RG, playing next to a C...it was just a dumb move. Konz is a CENTER, and that move would've been a decent idea if he was playing AT CENTER, but he's playing at guard, which means HE should be the one taking on DTs, not McClure, and McClure should be the one bouncing from one guy to the next helping with blocks, NOT KONZ. It's an out of position issue, not a talent issue, and don't even blame McClure or Clabo for this because they did their jobs perfectly.