Letter From Arthur Blank

Mega Flare

Earlier today, the Georgia World Congress Center Authority (GWCCA) Board approved a term sheet for the proposed new stadium on the GWCC campus. This is an important step toward reaching a final agreement, which we anticipate will occur in 2013.

A new stadium in Atlanta is important to the Falcons for a number of reasons: It will allow us to provide a league-competitive game day experience to our fans, and it will help the team remain competitive on the field over a long period of time. In addition, it puts into place a long-term solution following the expiration of our lease at the Georgia Dome.

But this new stadium is not just about the Falcons. It will be an iconic asset owned by the state that will provide economic benefits to our city, region and state. During the construction phase alone, the new stadium will add more than 4,500 new jobs to the state’s economy and generate more than $400 million in total economic impact, including more than $160 million in personal income.

In addition, a new stadium allows the city and state to remain competitive with other venues across the country in areas such as attracting new convention business, retaining events currently held in the Georgia Dome, hosting new marquee events in the future, and possibly adding Major League Soccer to Atlanta’s professional sports team mix.

All of these opportunities provide significant positive economic impacts for Georgia. For example, four of the Dome’s largest annual events – the SEC Championship Game, Chick-fil-A Bowl, Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game and Bank of America Football Classic – generate a combined annual economic impact of more than $100 million. And hosting marquee events such as a Super Bowl, World Cup and BCS Football Championship Game would have a combined potential to generate more than $450 million in economic impact.

The proposed financial arrangement for the new stadium is also beneficial to the state. Unlike the Georgia Dome, which was financed 100 percent with public money, the Falcons have agreed to fund about two-thirds of the cost of construction, as well as any cost overruns, with private dollars. In addition, the Falcons will take on the operating and capital risks that the state currently bears at the Georgia Dome. We are willing to do these things to ensure a great game day experience for our fans, and to be part of providing new opportunities to the city and state.

The public funding for the remaining one-third of the stadium construction costs will be covered by the existing hotel-motel tax, which is largely paid by visitors, not local residents. So, unless a Georgia resident stays in a hotel in the city of Atlanta or certain other parts of Fulton County, he or she will pay nothing in taxes to build the new stadium.

We are encouraged by today’s vote, and will continue to work in partnership with the GWCCA to reach a final agreement that is beneficial to all stakeholders, including the neighborhoods surrounding the new stadium. You can stay informed regarding our progress by visiting atlantafalcons.com and clicking on the link to the new stadium site.

We will strive to keep you informed of our progress along the way. Thank you for your support this season, and best wishes for a happy holiday season.

Sincerely,

signature-arthurmblank.png

Arthur M. Blank

Owner & Chairman

Atlanta Falcons

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Blan-

Thanks for the well spun letter. I too believe the city needs a new stadium with a retractable roof, I certainly hope that you trust the research group that was hired or used to determine what type of financial impact the PSL program will have on the team, the new facility and the team. Hopefully you have factor these issues:

-

Mr. Blan-

Thanks for the well spun letter. I too believe the city needs a new stadium with a retractable roof, I certainly hope that you trust the research group that was hired or used to determine what type of financial impact the PSL program will have on the team, the new facility and the team. Hopefully you have factor these issues:

-

Mr. Blank-

- Loss of core fan base to their new, high def man caves that will be cheaper and provide a experience beyond just football, plus save thousands of $$s' versus PSL's

- Think about how exciting it is to have stuffy corporate snobs with their clients at the games who have no passion for the team. Pretty quiet dome it will be.

- Atlanta is a transient city. How much of your current season ticket holder base is a supporter of another team? Why would they shell out even more money for PSL's, plus excessively high ticket prices to support a team they may not have a true loyalty to.

- Alienate the true fans who struggle to take that disposable income to but tickets now. Should they take out loans to buy tickets for millionaires and billionaires?

- People who push to buy tickets in the lower level, like me in the end zone, who can’t justify paying a PSL in the high price range and hates sitting up in a higher area just so I can afford a ticket because I had to buy a PSL.

- Look at the Rams and Raiders. Two PSL scenarios that were awful. How about the Jets? The 2% who have that kind of income at their disposal can afford them.

- The Falcons have become relevant again, but unless you win a Super Bowl in the next few years, expect erosion in the fan base.

Over the next few games, why don’t you take time away from your luxury box and walk around the concourses and visit the fans in the stands that are, as Mitt referred to as the 47%. The NFL owners just do not get the loyal fans. That is us. Listen to our struggles. We kept our tickets when times got tough because we love the Falcons and enjoy seeing our kids at the games. I guess we will only have the next 4 seasons to enjoy it.

Good luck with your PSL's. I hope it is worth it.

Dear Mr. Blank,

Thank you for your concern about the experience Atlanta Falcons fans have with the team. Please worry more about eliminating experiences like we had yesterday. If we have many of those, I will be able to pick my seat as I did in the days of Fulton County Stadium even if you move the team to Phillips Arena.

The city/state would only be spending $300 million on this stadium, not $1 billion, and that money can only be used on tourism. I'm interested to see how the renovation of the GWCC is handled.

I get what we'll pay and the rest by hotel tax....but a billion on a "new" stadium? In today's economy? I think the billion could be well used in another area.

Hotel tax $$ are the Falcons money?

Of the $1 billion, $300 million is from the hotel/motel tax. The rest, $600 million + overruns, is Falcons money. Understand now?

You would have made sense had you said there was a better use of $300 million, which is what taxpayers (anyone that stays in an Atlanta hotel) would be contributing.

Edited by Mega Flare

Of the $1 billion, $300 million is from the hotel/motel tax. The rest, $600 million + overruns, is Falcons money. Understand now?

You would have made sense had you said there was a better use of $300 million, which is what taxpayers (anyone that stays in an Atlanta hotel) would be contributing.

Thanks for clearling all that up for me!

When I first got the letter, I though it was a personal apology from Blank for that enormous turd that the Birds laid in Queen City. On a lighter note, it was amusing to hear the Panties fans cheering like they'd won the d@mn Superbowl. Every time I heard "Let's Go panthers," I responded with LET'S GO PLAYOFFS!!! Reality is going to hit them like a ton of bricks, and despite all the talk about us supposedly going one and done in the playoffs, at least we'll be there. Enjoy "home-field advantage" on the couch, Panties fans!

Edited by Mega Flare

I get what we'll pay and the rest by hotel tax....but a billion on a "new" stadium? In today's economy? I think the billion could be well used in another area.

So you think Arthur should spend HIS 700 million some other way? He is a successful investor, is he not? HIS $700 million is money spent on HIS investment, and has the state and the GWCC benefitting from HIS investment. You nor I will probably never give one dime to THIS new investment of Arthur's. If the state were paying this 1 billion dollars, then yes, I would say that there are many better uses for that money. Teachers and other deserving public servants would be who I'd take care of first. But that is not what any of this is about. This is a business venture designed to make the state, GWCC and the Falcons more revenue. Arthur is already a very charitable man along with being a business man. He is going to do what the Smith's never did, and that is make the Falcons a dynamic and and upper echelon team that is worth far more than HIS initial investment. Why fault the man for doing what you should do with an investment of this size?

So you think Arthur should spend HIS 700 million some other way? He is a successful investor, is he not? HIS $700 million is money spent on HIS investment, and has the state and the GWCC benefitting from HIS investment. You nor I will probably never give one dime to THIS new investment of Arthur's. If the state were paying this 1 billion dollars, then yes, I would say that there are many better uses for that money. Teachers and other deserving public servants would be who I'd take care of first. But that is not what any of this is about. This is a business venture designed to make the state, GWCC and the Falcons more revenue. Arthur is already a very charitable man along with being a business man. He is going to do what the Smith's never did, and that is make the Falcons a dynamic and and upper echelon team that is worth far more than HIS initial investment. Why fault the man for doing what you should do with an investment of this size?

Chill man! In my opinion, it's a bad investment.