Concern Over The Rush D When It Was All Cam Newton?

Ergo Proxy

So, a lot of the 'initial response' I heard today from TV analysts was how 'bad' the Falcons rush defense was.

Cam Newton had 9 rushes for 116. Rest of team? 23 for 79.

So, my question is who in the playoffs will scramble like Cam Newton; in a trap in, against the Falcons? There are no trap games in the playoffs and we'll have Dome field advantage.

So, I realize the defense played today, but Cam had something to prove to himself today and wanted to avenge his bad end to the game in Atlanta earlier this year.

Don't know how that means the run defense simply was bad. They did just finel outside of the superb job Cam Newton did. It was a beast mode performance, that's for sure.

Not concerned about our D that much. Get players healthy like Asante. Let Nolan work with his personnel groupings and game plans more. Not having to game plan for a Cam Newton back in the playoffs will be the biggest difference.

PS: Here is the game stats of our 'bad' game(compare them):

http://www.cbssports...0121209_ATL@CAR

...and here is what the game stats look like to negative people:

http://www.cbssports...0121209_ARI@SEA

problem is you cant dismiss Cam, he is that offense, are you saying over the next handful of years we wont be able to beat Carolina because of Cam? everyone else is. bad thing is i see the same old problem, even when the pass rush gets there they don't get the QB down. with freeman and newton, they better figure it out, because they'll be seeing them twice a year for quite awhile. i think it was walker that grabbed him once on a third down play, spun him around a couple time, no one else showed up to help , cam pulled free, and took off down field for a first down. falcons have got to, got to, GOT TO find a pass rush.

Most of the runs I did see yesterday, were mainly a product of positioning and too much yardage before contact as a result. <--that makes it incredibly hard to tackle when all you have is arms length and poor angles afterward.

However, I do not know if we were hurt more by Cam's scrambles or their backs more in our Nickel package or the base D?

Newton is the only mobile QB that worries me other than Rodgers. And Roethlisberger to a lesser extent. He has the speed to move downfield and the size to break tackles, like when Peters had him but Newton refused to go down. That said, it seems like the only QB BVG seemed to scheme better against than Nolan is Newton. Maybe Nolan should run BVG's vanilla defense the next time we play the Panthers. laugh.png

The difference between 2 of the QBs mentioned (Romo and Rodgers) is that most of the rushing yards except for a play where Newton just ran himself ( might of been designed run idr) was in a read option offense and of which only team in the playoffs as of now is the 9ers. but the thing is Kaep is more of an RGIII (who we shutdown) more then Newton who is much bigger and probably faster