Gonzo Gets It. He Should Take The Lead And Be Red Forman. Feet In @sses.

falcon124

Tony Gonzalez didn’t try to sugarcoat it. He used the phrase “silver lining” just once, and seemingly begrudgingly.

Instead, he showed a passion and fire in the locker room that the Falcons seemed to lack in the first half Sunday against Carolina.

“Ridiculous. No doubt about it. We can’t leave our defense out there like we did, and we’ve got to put points up. We’re too good of an offense,” he said about the first-half Sunday. “We’ve got too many players. Too much talent.”

That was the feeling around the locker room after Sunday’s 30-20 loss to Carolina — a team the Falcons had to scratch and claw against earlier in the season to pull out a last-minute win.

During a week when the chatter was high between the two teams, the Panthers came out with intensity as a previously 3-9 team with not much to lose. The Falcons came out much different, amassing just 35 offensive yards on 13 total first-half plays, good for just 6:12 of offense.

“If we play like that in the first half, there’s no way. It’s not going to work out the way we want it to for the rest of the season,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve definitely got to learn from this game and we’ve got to go out there and play Falcon football, because we didn’t do that in the first half.”

The offensive struggles to start the game played a part in the Panthers jumping out to a 16-0 lead before halftime. A year earlier, the Falcons faced a 16-point deficit at the end of the first half against Carolina and came back to win.

Needing another one of Matt Ryan’s signature comeback performances, the Falcons fell down to 23-0 before the offense started clicking and Atlanta found itself on the scoreboard.

In true Falcons fashion, the team didn’t give up — Gonzalez’s lone silver lining of the day — and Atlanta was able to cut the score within 10 in the second half.

It’s as close as the Falcons would get as Carolina put Atlanta away with a 53-yard screen pass touchdown in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach.

“It better be a bump in the road if we’re the team we think we are,” Gonzalez said. “I can hear them right now. They’re getting off the bandwagon. I can hear them jumping off, but that’s how it goes. Looking at our history, a lot of people are going to say, ‘See? I told you,’ or whatever.

“We’re a good football team — no doubt about it. And we’re going play better, because we have to. We’re going to get back and play the way we have, but it’s up to us to have a good week of practice and come out against a very good football team against the Giants and get this thing rolling.”

Its simple....... Just call the same plays and play the same way as if we had to make a comeback but at the beggining of the game. We start off taking what the defense gives us and it gets shut down, but when we start taking what we want, we typically move the chains. Let's start taking what we want from the start.

Ok Gonzo we get it...now prove it. Prove to us the fans to truly have hope this post season. Whats the problem...I see no fire or desire to truly put a beat down on anyone...it appears yall dont have it. Its like yall are afraid to hurt their feelings or something. Put on a hobbed nail boot and lay it on their throats.

Edited by nomak

Hurt someones feelings? God I hope not. Next Sunday the offense needs to bring the nails and the defense needs to bring the wood. We need to hit the Giants so hard for 60 minutes they should leave the stadium wishing we just crucified them at the opening kickoff. That's the mentality this team needs to make other teams fear them.

Hurt someones feelings? God I hope not. Next Sunday the offense needs to bring the nails and the defense needs to bring the wood. We need to hit the Giants so hard for 60 minutes they should leave the stadium wishing we just crucified them at the opening kickoff. That's the mentality this team needs to make other teams fear them.

Yes sir!!!

our run game just aint getting the job done...to me that is the heart of our underachievement...otherwise, we crush every single team we play this year...we are currently relying on situational football...it may or may not bite us in the *** in the playoffs...but I'd rather just crush the **** out of opponents and we won't get it done with a weak run game...

What a fitting beginning and end for Gonzo.

He started his NFL career playing Marty ball and will end his career playing Smitty ball

Ugly irony. I feel sorry for Gonzo. He deserved better than having the Falcons just crap the bed and fall flat on its azz after the season started with such signs of greatness.

Guest facelessman07

Its simple....... Just call the same plays and play the same way as if we had to make a comeback but at the beggining of the game. We start off taking what the defense gives us and it gets shut down, but when we start taking what we want, we typically move the chains. Let's start taking what we want from the start.

No no no, that philosophy would never work...

Question: WTF is Falcon football exactly? We STILL don't have a specific style at this point unless he's talking about barely winning games vs inferior competition. He's right though, we've seriously underachieved with the weapons we have on offense. There's no excuse why we shouldn't be dropping 30+ every week.

I have no choice but to think that Mike Smith is somehow the culprit here. It's the only constant that has remained after we brought in new coordinators. This team is way too conservative at this point in the season.

Yes, Gonzo needs to be a Packers fan! lol But no seriously, if anyone on this team 'gets it' it's Gonzalez. He was money in the bank today, especially on the no-huddle and it's a shame he worked so hard today for such mediocrity. I just hope the team truly does 'get it' and wins next week against the Giants. I don't need a blow out, just go out and win it. I want to go 14-2 dammit and we need our revenge.

Edited by Da Bird is Da Word

Question: WTF is Falcon football exactly? We STILL don't have a specific style at this point unless he's talking about barely winning games vs inferior competition. He's right though, we've seriously underachieved with the weapons we have on offense. There's no excuse why we shouldn't be dropping 30+ every week.

I have no choice but to think that Mike Smith is somehow the culprit here. It's the only constant that has remained after we brought in new coordinators. This team is way too conservative at this point in the season.

Smith and waiiiiit for ittt.....Ryan ARE THE TWO CONSTANTS.

Smith and waiiiiit for ittt.....Ryan ARE THE TWO CONSTANTS.

Ryan has nothing to do with the approach the team has play calling wise unless he's running NO HUDDLE which he did a lot of second half and was pretty successful for the most part. Actually, he's always been pretty great in NO HUDDLE.. the problem. WE HAVEN'T RUN IT MUCH this year UNLESS we NEEDED to.

Falcons brought nowhere near there A game. 4 games to go and they are up 2 1/2 games for hfa. All the other playoff hopefuls lost last week while the Falcons won. Falcons are playing a 3-9 team and there next matchup is against a Giants team that whipped them a year ago in the playoffs. Falcons were defintiely looking passed them and focsuing on the4 Giants matchup. The game yesterday was in no way shape or form a true indication of what this team is made of. That...you will see this Sunday.

Falcons brought nowhere near there A game. 4 games to go and they are up 2 1/2 games for hfa. All the other playoff hopefuls lost last week while the Falcons won. Falcons are playing a 3-9 team and there next matchup is against a Giants team that whipped them a year ago in the playoffs. Falcons were defintiely looking passed them and focsuing on the4 Giants matchup. The game yesterday was in no way shape or form a true indication of what this team is made of. That...you will see this Sunday.

We get smoked by the Giants next week, like NO did, then we might as well concede the season....regardless of what our w/l record is. Our 2 losses this year are against division rivals with no chance at the playoffs and who are getting pretty much getting spanked by all other teams who played them. The Giants game will be a good measuring stick to how our post season will shape up.