I Can Understand Optimism, But Some People Are Acting Like Todays Game Didn't Happen

For the last time. . .my reaction is NOT (as in NOT) over a loss or this loss. . .it is over the disturbing trend any person watching the games will notice: ineptness of the offense and inconsistency overall over the past several weeks/games . . .

what is wrong with some of you all. . . .childish, lame, and immature?

Edited by Falcon Knight
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to keep the whole season in context. The Falcons are in the playoffs, and they are going to play a home game.

Now, they may indeed lose in the playoffs again this year, even at home. But if they do, it won't be because they lost the game today.

So..the game really wasn't that important, it was a natural let down game for a bunch of different reasons.

The season is a huge success, no doubt, but we all expected to be where we are. We all expected a playoff berth. Playoff berths aren't good enough anymore.

I'm just looking in the context of our past playoff performances and I'm not seeing a team that are showing me that they can run the gauntlet of the NFC playoffs. We've had winning close regular season games down pat for a long time. When it comes to playing the games that matter, playoff games, big division games, and those psychological hurdle games like the Saints, Packers last year, and this game where we were mocked by a 3-9 team, we play scared. That worries me. I saw this team play gutless.

The losses don't bother me as bad as the way we have been playing does. I just feel like Mike Smith's concessionist nature keeps this team from being as great as they could be. It's like we just accept that Division games are going to be tough and we play down.

I'm sorry man, but we should have destroyed the Saints and Panthers this year. Destroyed them. If we can't show up against our rivals, I don't see us showing up against a hungry playoff team.

The season is a huge success, no doubt, but we all expected to be where we are. We all expected a playoff berth. Playoff berths aren't good enough anymore.

I'm just looking in the context of our past playoff performances and I'm not seeing a team that are showing me that they can run the gauntlet of the NFC playoffs. We've had winning close regular season games down for a long time. When it comes to playing the games that matter, playoff games, big division games, and those psychological hurdle games like the Saints, Packers last year, and this game where we were mocked by a 3-9 team, we play scared. That worries me. I saw this team play gutless.

The losses don't bother me as bad as the way we have been playing does. I just feel like Mike Smith's concessionist nature keeps this team from being as great as they could be. It's like we just accept that Division games are going to be tough and we play down.

I'm sorry man, but we should have destroyed the Saints and Panthers this year. Destroyed them. If we can't show up against our rivals, I don't see us showing up against a hungry playoff team.

Very well said

I'm not begrudging people's frustration, just the notion that this game was particularly important. It wasn't.

I think the issue people have is that the "deficiencies" of this team that have been noticed over the past few weeks were magnified and resulted in a blowout loss, something this team hasnt experienced this year.

Poor pass protection

Poor run blocking

Ineffective pass game (a result of the first item)

Poor tackling on defense

lack of pass rush

These are all things that have reared their head throughout the season, but never all at the same time like today. It's worrisome because this is the time of year you would expect these things to be resolved, IF it's possible they can be resolved.

Now, I understand that we were without 2 defensive starters, coming off an emotional win against a rival, could be looking ahead to the Giants or just the playoffs, but I dont think that gives this team a pass to come out and stink up the joint with their play and more importantly, their effort. Maybe my expectations are too high, though.

So, I will follow up Peyton. Do you want everyone on the message board to cry about us not scoring for 2 and a half? Oh yeah, that's right. We are suppose to beat everyone. You have to be perfect to win in the playoffs, and go to the Super Bowl.

I Can Understand Optimism, But Some People Are Acting Like Todays Game Didn't Happen

Maybe you are just acting like it didn't happen or there is no concern about today.

Falcons had 10 days to prepare for a divisional opponent and looked unprepared. Nobody said it was an important or pivotal game,

but by gawd an 11 win team should have at least shown up for the 1st half.

I think the issue people have is that the "deficiencies" of this team that have been noticed over the past few weeks were magnified and resulted in a blowout loss, something this team hasnt experienced this year.

Poor pass protection

Poor run blocking

Ineffective pass game (a result of the first item)

Poor tackling on defense

lack of pass rush

These are all things that have reared their head throughout the season, but never all at the same time like today. It's worrisome because this is the time of year you would expect these things to be resolved, IF it's possible they can be resolved.

Now, I understand that we were without 2 defensive starters, coming off an emotional win against a rival, could be looking ahead to the Giants or just the playoffs, but I dont think that gives this team a pass to come out and stink up the joint with their play and more importantly, their effort. Maybe my expectations are too high, though.

It's possible that the Falcons just aren't that good.

But they'eve earned a place in the playoffs, and it I think they should go ahead and show up just in case they get lucky or something.

But I bet you are still going to watch the playoffs.....just in case you are wrong.

I'm going to watch, and I will always watch whether we are 11-2 or 2-11. If there is a Falcons game, I'm watching it. I watched all the 2007 games, even went to an away game.

I am going to address the issues I see when I see them. This team could be great, but we refuse to play great. That makes me frustrated, and places like this is where I vent them.

Therein lays lies the problem. We all know what our offense is capable of, but...... we're not as "explosive" as we should be. When we CONSISTANTLY see performances like the one we witnessed today against inferior teams (barely scraped by Arizona and Seattle already has a 31 point lead.... BEFORE the half), we get agitated. We all want to see our team win it all, but lets be honest, we've been lucky to get some of these wins. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and I'll take that any day, but there's only so far that this kind of play will go. Hopefully we get hot starting next week and go into the playoffs as the hot team

Lucky is a very over used word when talking about W's with this team its not LUCKY when you can do it Consistently in close games.

The way I look at this game is we got out played pure and simple there's no looking away from that but what do we do carry this through to next week or move on.I subscribe to the latter I believe the coordinators and coaches can fix the inherent problems.They have been doing it all season when we have under performed so I don't see why the upcoming week is any different.I have to believe the above hence why our DC & OC were hired to get us to the next level.

Lucky is a very over used word when talking about W's with this team its not LUCKY when you can do it Consistently in close games.

The way I look at this game is we got out played pure and simple there's no looking away from that but what do we do carry this through to next week or move on.I subscribe to the latter I believe the coordinators and coaches can fix the inherent problems.They have been doing it all season when we have under performed so I don't see why the upcoming week is any different.I have to believe the above hence why our DC & OC were hired to get us to the next level.

Why do you believe the coaches can fix the problems when one of the problems is Turner being in the game during the no huddle and other crucial periods of the game and our head coach refuses to rectify that issue?

We are who I was afraid we were: pretenders with an impressive regular season won-loss record.

We haven't lost a playoff game this season.

Yet.

I am not confident that we will, but I am not tossing in the towel, either.

Every likely opponent we will face in the playoffs has shown significant faults, flaws, and failures.

If a team rolls into the dome and whips out a B-game? We will beat them in a close game.

If a team shows up on fire and on top of their game, we will likely get Rick-rolled again.

If we can't withstand the fired up intensity of a divisional rival who is 3-9, then what would lead any one to believe this team can man-up against an elite playoff team's fired up intensity?

Why do you believe the coaches can fix the problems when one of the problems is Turner being in the game during the no huddle and other crucial periods of the game and our head coach refuses to rectify that issue?

I honestly don't no what to make of Turner this year and to answer your question I don't no.

Wheather they are showing faith in Turner by persistently playing him in certain situations your guess is as good as mine.

All I no is offensively we have to get into Rhythm early and for me if I'm coaching I leave it Ryan's hands the playbook goes out the window until we get into offensive rhythm.

Once this is established then i start sending plays in but until then I leave Ryan running the game.

What starters would anyone trade for with Carolina?

We have a better QB, better receivers, better TE, better defensive players across the board.

We had no business losing this

Really? Ok, I'll bite.

HD for Steve Smith

Biermann for either of their defensive ends

Dent for their rookie MLB

Turner for DLo Williams

Franks for whoever they got returning punts

And last but not least a handful of OLineman for whoever they got.

I can't believe in this day and age of parity people still think the difference in 11-1 and 3-9 is some dramatic difference in talent. It's not. It's chemistry, scheme, and knowing how to win. Yes, we have problems. And frankly we're OUTMATCHED in talent a lot of the times. But we have every one of the intangibles or we would not have the record we have.

So what is it that you want?

You want the message board members in unison to cry about what happened today?

If the Falcons beat the Giants next week, this game just won't matter anymore. So I am just going to wait til next week and see how it goes.

Peyton I always enjoy reading your posts, however this one suggests I shouldn't be able to express my feelings about the state of the Falcons at this moment. Did my thread post bother you? The truth does hurt sometimes ya know. Look, I know there is nothing you or I can say or do that will change anything about the Falcons current situation, but don't ever try to downplay my thoughts that I am free to post on a message board. This team has serious issues. You and I both know it.

We just lost to a 3-9 team.

Yes, I am all about moving forward, but we can't act like we didn't just get beat down by a drastically inferior team.

We need to be CRUSHING inferior teams and I think with our talent we SHOULD be!

We wouldn't be 11-2 if we couldn't...

it's not that it didn't happen, it's that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. The only thing the regular season is for is playoff positioning. the falcons, despite the loss, are still clearly the lead favorites to accomplish everything that can be accomplished for January.

then there is the argument that if this team plays like today in january they will lose... the truth is that argument doesn't make sense either. this game doesn't project how we will play in the playoffs any more then either saints game, the eagles game, the broncos game, the chargers game, the bucs game, or any other game we have played.

it was one loss that didn't really change anything and didn't really mean anything. could the falcons go one and done? absolutely, but not because of anything that happened today. they could also go all the way, again, not because of anything that happened today.

if the falcons collapse and lose HFA, which is still very unlikely, then today will have mattered. i don't see that happening.

Should the Giants have panicked last year when they lost late in the season to the Redskins for the 2nd time that year?

Should the Packers have panicked the year before when they lost to a Lions team that had 2 wins prior to the game in which they beat them?

Should the Saints in '09 have panicked when they lost to TB late in the season?

The reality is...sh*t happens! It's the NFL and you're going to lose games to "inferior" opponents at times. I can honestly say I'm not surprised with the outcome and I wasn't all that upset or bent out of shape about it. Really didn't change much. Still very much in the driver's seat after collecting only our SECOND loss of the season. Things to worry about? Sure! Not really the huge deal some seem to be making it though.

I know it's hard for Atlanta sports fans to not get nervous but some of y'all really need to get a grip.

What starters would anyone trade for with Carolina?

We have a better QB, better receivers, better TE, better defensive players across the board.

We had no business losing this

Better QB? I could understand you saying that at the beginning of the year when Ryan was on fire and Cam was struggling, but that is not the case anymore.

Cam played better with inferior recievers, and his O-line is hurt. Why is Matt struggling when he has better recievers like you said? Neither teams's offensive line is great.

Panthers have a better Defensive line, and we have a better secondary. LBs are about the same.

The fact is that Ryan has peaked and Cam is still learning. Cant blame Cam for the Falcons having a better GM and coach.

agree. the game happened, it just didn't matter.

no reason to sweat the small stuff.

If Falcons step up next week and put their big boy pants on and beat the Giants - then I think this game will be a cliff note in the season.

I think the panic - and somewhat justified - is simply that this 2012 version of the Falcons seems to be deteriorating before our eyes - Falcons have battled and won many games while getting worse - but getting worse they have.

If Falcons step up next week and put their big boy pants on and beat the Giants - then I think this game will be a cliff note in the season.

I think the panic - and somewhat justified - is simply that this 2012 version of the Falcons seems to be deteriorating before our eyes - Falcons have battled and won many games while getting worse - but getting worse they have.

i don't know about worse, i think that it's just been a different unit steps up at different games. today was a bad game, but at the same time, gotta give credit to newton and the panthers D... they made plays.

last week against the saints we weren't great on offense, but we were outstanding on defense. against tampa we were good on defense and good on offense. we have already been through the cards game so i wont go there, im sure our same disagreement exists. in the first saints game the offense was very good, the defense was bad.

the falcons haven't put together many games where both units showed up at the same time... i would say the philly game and the san diego game come to mind, maybe the kc game.