Mort Says The Franchise Tag For Jake Long Will Be 15 Million Dollars.

Mort just said on NFL 32 that do to Jake Long's massive rookie contract, if he were hit with the franchise tag... his salary for that 1 year would be 15 million dollars!

They just drafted the Martin dude last year that can slide over to LT.

Put 2 and 2 together and I think he hit the FA Market.

I'd take him over resignining Baker ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!

AND TWICE ON SUNDAY!!!

ohmy.png

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Long to be the world beater that some do, but this is a little crazy.

Baker: 5 sacks, 4 hits, 27 hurries in 528 passing plays - 1 penalty, 0 accepted

Long: 4 sacks, 7 hits, 10 hurries in 414 passing plays - 7 penalties, 3 accepted

Long is slightly better at run blocking but not by a lot, and still below average.

Long's issue has been injuries are slowing him down...just like Baker has been

Jake Long with injuries is still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sam Baker

Long's worst year has been this year. 4 sacks, 7 hits, 10 pressures, +0.6 run block grade.

Bakers best is this year. 4.5 sacks, 4 hits. 27 pressures, -3.9 run block grade

And Long has been forced to hold his blocks longer with a rookie QB. imagine the line with Long on it. He'd still be an instant upgrade over Baker.

Long: 4 sacks, 7 hits, 10 hurries in 414 passing plays - 7 penalties, 3 accepted

Long is slightly better at run blocking but not by a lot, and still below average.

Long also has a rookie quarterback. trust me, his overall play is better than what's been shown in stats alone.

Compare overall body of work. Not just a sample. Would you have rather had Baker last year over Long? Year before?

I didn't say Long was a world beater, but I rather have him over Baker.

Compare overall body of work. Not just a sample. Would you have rather had Baker last year over Long? Year before?

I didn't say Long was a world beater, but I rather have him over Baker.

Not at the price he'd command. Give Baker a reasonable contract, move Konz to center after McClure retires, and get some monster to play right guard. Ryan's getting a lot of pressure up the middle, which keeps him from stepping up in the pocket to avoid the edge rush. Shore up the interior and both the run blocking AND pass blocking will improve.

I'd take Warmack out of Alabama if he's there (I know he's playing left guard right now, but I suspect he's good enough to make the switch to the right side).

Not at the price he'd command. Give Baker a reasonable contract, move Konz to center after McClure retires, and get some monster to play right guard. Ryan's getting a lot of pressure up the middle, which keeps him from stepping up in the pocket to avoid the edge rush. Shore up the interior and both the run blocking AND pass blocking will improve.

I'd take Warmack out of Alabama if he's there (I know he's playing left guard right now, but I suspect he's good enough to make the switch to the right side).

That's a whole other topic. Correct, sir or ma'am, I too would rather have Baker at his price vs Bakers price.

I was disputing that Baker isn't better than Long. I think the smart move would be to keep Baker. He owes the Falcons something because they didn't give up on him when he was getting Ryan killed. They stayed the course and hopefully it pays divideds past just this year.

Funny how much changes in a season, but NO. Baker has done fine at LT and for the money it would take to get Long we could get serious upgrades elsewhere that are actually needed. Not to mention Long has been injury prone as of late. I don't think there's any chance we go for him and I think that's the right move.