Gsu @ Old Dominion

AF89

I know it's FCS but if any of you are still craving college football Saturday or just plain have nothing better to do (mow the lawn you lazy basterd), Georgia Southern is going to be playing at Old Dominion noon Saturday in the FCS quaterfinals on ESPN. Other than featuring the most acomplished football team in the state (tongue.png) you also have a chance to check out Collins Hill's own Taylor Heinicke, who earlier this year set the NCAA record for pass yards in a game at 730 yards. Should be a good one. biggrin.png

How do you GSU fans feel about the rumored Sun Belt interest? Ready to make the leap?

I think a lot of Georgia Southern fans would like to have some of those answers too.

As far as I can tell we've had plenty of rumors but nothing concrete as of yet, though the announcement could be any week, any day, any hour, any minute now. (what's new dry.png )

We'll have to expand our stadium of course but as its taking them over a year just to renovate two of the freaking cafeterias, I begin to wonder just how long a stadium will take. rolleyes.gif (one of the growing pains of moving up is that our normally pretty campus has got construction orange EVERYWHERE. There doesn't seem to be a spot on campus that doesn't have a new building popping up or being renovated.... the price of progress I guess)

It's going to be strange to have four FBS teams within the state after having just two for the longest time. (And I'm sure we'll be talking about Kennesaw, Valdosta State and Mercer before you know it)

I know it's FCS but if any of you are still craving college football Saturday or just plain have nothing better to do (mow the lawn you lazy basterd), Georgia Southern is going to be playing at Old Dominion noon Saturday in the FCS quaterfinals on ESPN. Other than featuring the most acomplished football team in the state (tongue.png) you also have a chance to check out Collins Hill's own Taylor Heinicke, who earlier this year set the NCAA record for pass yards in a game at 730 yards. Should be a good one. biggrin.png

I hear that kid Heinicke is pretty good.

I hear that kid Heinicke is pretty good.

Yeah I think if they had a do over alot of big FBS programs would love to have their shot at this guy. It wouldn't be too much of an overreaction to say he's physically comparable (maybe an inch shorter) to Aaron Rodgers when he was playing at an even smaller level (before he transferred to Cal). I wouldn't be totally shocked if he ended up being a late round draft pick for someone in the future.

Yeah I think if they had a do over alot of big FBS programs would love to have their shot at this guy. It wouldn't be too much of an overreaction to say he's physically comparable (maybe an inch shorter) to Aaron Rodgers when he was playing at an even smaller level (before he transferred to Cal). I wouldn't be totally shocked if he ended up being a late round draft pick for someone in the future.

The thing most people don't know about Taylor is his running ability. He can kill you with his legs as easy as his arm. The game should be a shootout because Old Dominion can`t play a lick of defense and is forced to run and gun the entire game. It`s not unusual for ODU to get down by a couple of touchdowns and then win by 20 so buckle up your chinstraps for this one.

NDSU is too good for Wofford I think. Good game by the Eagles. Defense showed up late and started getting pressure.

Yep looks like another trip up to North Dakota. They're defense worry's me but I think we can take em. I'm really glad they finally replaced that concrete they called a turf.

SOCON speed for the win!!!

This was a great game. Nice job by GSU. That Taylor Heinicke kid is really impressive and he's only a sophomore. ODU will be playing in C-USA next fall.

Just got back from the game, disappointing to say the least but ODU has a high school defense with a high school coordinator so it`s to be expected. As all of you can see, Heinicke is a solid QB who could start for many FBS schools and is only going to improve. If he had a solid coach (instead of a jack leg who was lucky to get this job), and solid receivers he could break every record in College football. Next year they step up with the big boys with stops at Maryland and North Carolina and hopefully some better recruits on defense. This area should provide it as this is one of the best hotbeds for talent in the country and many people in this area are behind this program. Congrats to GS as they played a solid game, 2 years in a row and two heartbreaking losses.

Edited by Rambler

Just trying to understand who ODU went for it on 4th down and about 10 from their own 39-yard line when the game was tied at 35.

I couldn't say. Their coach has sort of an arrogant reputation so maybe he was sure he could make it. Definitely ended the first nail in their coffin

Just got back from the game, disappointing to say the least but ODU has a high school defense with a high school coordinator so it`s to be expected. As all of you can see, Heinicke is a solid QB who could start for many FBS schools and is only going to improve. If he had a solid coach (instead of a jack leg who was lucky to get this job), and solid receivers he could break every record in College football. Next year they step up with the big boys with stops at Maryland and North Carolina and hopefully some better recruits on defense. This area should provide it as this is one of the best hotbeds for talent in the country and many people in this area are behind this program. Congrats to GS as they played a solid game, 2 years in a row and two heartbreaking losses.

Would not be surprised at all if he found him self on an NFL roster in a few years. He's a little short but otherwise he seems to have all the physical tools.

He's had a nice little season.

I think it was their only shot to win. They weren't going to stop GSU if they punted.

ODU had stopped GSU more than GSU had stopped ODU in the game. I mean at one time it was 35-21 with ODU on top. On the drive GSU tied the game they had to go for it on 4th down from their own 29 but that was just inches. It wasn't about 10 to go. But the other reason you put it there is because it was around 2 minutes in the game and with GSU being a running team they could have ran out of time before scoring again and then the game goes to OT.