Kickoffs?

it has been reported that Roger Goodell floated the idea of removing kickoffs from the game in a recent meeting. One possiblity is that the offense would just start with the ball on the 20. Another possiblity would be a 4th and 15 from the 30 after every TD by the offense. The second option may sound ridiculous, but it makes for very interesting discussion.

Thoughts?

i agree that they shouldve never been moved at all, but at this point i think they should just change it. it has gotten to the point where it feels like every kickoff goes through the endzone. its such a waste of time now

See I think it just made it more dangerous. Watch how many times guys run it out from 7,8 and 9 yards deep in the endzone.

Before they moved the kickoff that never happened

I don't like it, but by opposing teams just starting with ball on the twenty you cut breaks making the game faster, you also might no longer need rosters of 53. I can see the appeal.

One of the worst things about watching football is seeing the offense come off the field, comercial break, special teams run one play, comercial break, defense come on the field.

I respect the fact that Goodell and the NFL is trying to make the game the most safe for their players but they also have to understand that it is still a violent game and players will get hurt regardless, some worse than others. Even if they were to eliminate kickoffs, then they will be looking for the next possible thing to either change or eliminate from the game. It will be an on going process that will have no actual resolution because of the nature of the game.

Guest Negatorris

Goodell is an idiot. I loved what he did to the Aints, but he is slowly trying to turn the league into a flag football, a step lower than the Lingerie Football League. Before everyone's eyes the NFL is becoming the AFL folks.

Starting on the 20 may be more likely now but making it automatic takes a human element out of the game. Kickers can screw it up. Kicks can be muffed. Penalties can give new sets of downs. They can still be brought out at times which means possibly worse field position, better field position, scoring, and turning the ball over.

It would rule out onside kicks. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

How could taking out one of the riskiest and potentially game changing plays of the game ever be good? With the game on the line it brings great joy or great despair. Every fan cringes when they see it. They should remove the hail mary pass too.

Goddell has lost his F'king Mind.

The Opening Kick Off is "The start of the Game.

This is Tradition as Mom, Apple Pie, and a Saturday Night Date.

You take this away and you have arena football.

Goddell Has to Go.

I urge us all to create a Pettition of Revolt and have it sent to Arthur Blank and Rich McKay.

I am now off to DaBearz to urge them to do the same thing.

This Game and the NFL was built by the paying fans.

Goddell has absolutely No Right to make this drastic change to the game.

ARE YOU WITH ME?

If not the GTF out of the way.

THIS IS WAR!

This is Tradition as Mom, Apple Pie, and a Saturday Night Date.

I hadn't yet thought of it in those terms (mainly from the shock of the news) but you are right. He is screwing with a very sacred tradition.

What are we going to call it now? The opening rip-off?

Next we should have players play rock/paper/scissors instead of the coin toss.

I am busy on twitter in a hostile revolt.

If any of you have a few minutes go to twitter and beat on every sports writer that you

are following.

This my tweet

This is Tradition as Mom, Apple Pie, and a Saturday Night Date. GODDELL MUST GO!

Just copy and paste this or create one.

No Quarter/No Mercy!

IMO this is an insane idea and nothing more than a lame attempt to make people think he really cares about player safety.

How often do you really see guys getting injured on kickoffs compared to normal plays? In all of the years I've watched football I can't ever remember kickoffs being worse for injuries than regular plays.

As far as I'm concerned it's Goddell that needs to go, not kickoffs.