Don Banks On Atlanta Falcons

3 falcons_50.png

Last Week: 2

Atlanta Falcons (11-1)

It's not Atlanta's fault, but the Falcons just haven't played the kind of schedule this season that commands respect. The only team they've faced that currently has a winning record was Denver, way back in Week 2, before the Broncos became a Manning-led machine. Atlanta's opponents haven't even won 40 percent of their games this year, and that makes it difficult to accurately gauge the Falcons' strength. But the playoffs will serve that purpose quite nicely.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/12/05/nfl-week-13-power-rankings/index.html#ixzz2ED2S4U8B

I don't care about the Ranking but that's the BEST he could do.

But if we lost to Tampa, Dallas, and Washington then we would've played 4 teams with winning records

Skins ..Falcons don't do well on ROAD

Eagles never drop a game after BYE week

Dallas got a Top Ranked Pass D ( I think we exposed them and everyone is throwing at them after that)

Bucs are the HOTTEST team in the NFL

NO is the most dangerous team in the NFL

But if we lost to Tampa, Dallas, and Washington then we would've played 4 teams with winning records

true. but if those three teams finish strong then I'm SURE Don Banks will change his viewpoint here, right?

my guess is, there will be something else - by then that will bug him about Atlanta.

The 72 Dolphins had a weak schedule (.357). Lots of teams have had weak schedules.

The 99 Rams had a .363, The 70 Colts had the easiest ever (.353).

I read only 9 out of 43 Super Bowl Teams have ever had a strength of schedule over .500.

.400-.500 is about normal. This is a bogus excuse to undermine the Falcons success.

Just keep winning...

The NFL is nothing like the NCAA with their rankings and polls. This is the big boy league where it's settled on the field. Do I care that we have such a "weak" schedule? No. Look at the great and mighty '72 Dolphins, I believe their opponents winning percentage was like .353 or something of that level. In this league all you have to do is win and not worry about what talking heads have to spew.

(Posted this at the same time Paulitik did his.)

Edited by CrimsonFalcon

Guest Negatorris

When you're 11-1 your schedule is going to look weak. But when you're the Panthers or Chiefs then your schedule probably looks tougher than it actually is. Strength of Schedule never factors in if a team had lost some of those games, which is why trying to criticize a team because of their schedule is a weak argument.

Yes, if Falcons would have tied or lost a game against terrible opponent and blown out by a winning team at home, we would have got more respect.

That's the way it works. If we destroyed the Broncos, Bucs, and Saints (on TNF) and we lost the Oakland or Arizona game, the pundits would think higher of us. In this scenario, 10-2 looks better than 11-1

Maybe if we were dominant and didn't squeak by terrible teams at home we'd get more respect.

The thing is though when did being dominant become the barometer for earning respect? When did it stop becoming about wins and losses and more about how pretty you looked winning? Seems to me it's more about the endzone dance than getting to the endzone and the media has a big hand in that. You know not that long ago football wasn't as "pretty" as it has become at times. It use to be ground and pound, man vs man, mono y mono, grind it out style football games. They weren't flashy. The team is 11-1, your record speaks for itself, this is the NFL all of these guys from every team are the best at what they do. If respect isn't earned at 11-1 it's likely not going to be earned people have already made up their minds. The best thing about lack of respect or even an abundance of respect, it doesn't throw footballs, convert 1st downs, break tackles, cause turnovers, kick field goals or anything of that nature. On game day it's simple: 2 teams on a field playing a game, best team wins. Our respect level won't win us the game, our ability to win from all phases of the game will margin of victory be damned.

That's the way it works. If we destroyed the Broncos, Bucs, and Saints (on TNF) and we lost the Oakland or Arizona game, the pundits would think higher of us. In this scenario, 10-2 looks better than 11-1

You play to win the game. I will take 11-1 over what Pundits say. WIn is better than a loss, I have bought enough season tix to watch my falcons lose.

Edited by falcons007

I have been a fan of this team for 37 yrs. Yes I am older than dirt but the fact is I could give

a rats azz what any of these clowns think , write or say.

This team feels different to me , I believe they have finally got the right mindset to handle

a deep run and the past failures will become important " mental ammo" as this team charges

forward.

They have not accomplished anything yet and they know it. I like where they are sitting,

just enough non believers and negative press to keep them in a humbled state and a get

down to business attitude that is allowing them to attain goals one by one.

We have the right mix of age, experience, talent, coaching and I think we have a real shot

to hoist the Lombardi. Power rankings and talking heads wont have a thing to do with it so

lets watch our team do the talking on the field.

The thing is though when did being dominant become the barometer for earning respect? When did it stop becoming about wins and losses and more about how pretty you looked winning? Seems to me it's more about the endzone dance than getting to the endzone and the media has a big hand in that. You know not that long ago football wasn't as "pretty" as it has become at times. It use to be ground and pound, man vs man, mono y mono, grind it out style football games. They weren't flashy. The team is 11-1, your record speaks for itself, this is the NFL all of these guys from every team are the best at what they do. If respect isn't earned at 11-1 it's likely not going to be earned people have already made up their minds. The best thing about lack of respect or even an abundance of respect, it doesn't throw footballs, convert 1st downs, break tackles, cause turnovers, kick field goals or anything of that nature. On game day it's simple: 2 teams on a field playing a game, best team wins. Our respect level won't win us the game, our ability to win from all phases of the game will margin of victory be damned.

I disagree. There are many people here who will say "this isn't college, it doesn't matter how you win or how much you win by". I do not believe in this. We've had about as soft a schedule as possible. I know you can only play that games that are on your schedule, but it doesn't mean you need to play nail-bitters against ARI, OAK, and CAR. Playing a dominant game on both sides of the ball means a lot.

I disagree. There are many people here who will say "this isn't college, it doesn't matter how you win or how much you win by". I do not believe in this. We've had about as soft a schedule as possible. I know you can only play that games that are on your schedule, but it doesn't mean you need to play nail-bitters against ARI, OAK, and CAR. Playing a dominant game on both sides of the ball means a lot.

Show me one team in the league that is dominating on BOTH sides of the ball week in and week out .........

Exactly.

NOBODY else is held to that standard. If we don't deserve respect for winning 11 games, why do teams with 3 or 4 losses to their name deserve respect and why arenlt the medai rippin those teams?

The media simply can't and won't say anything positive or complelmentary about us. They just have an irrational and unwarranted hatred of the Falcons, pure and simple.

If we make the super bowl we should refuse to do any media events all week, or particate and give bland 1 word answers. They've shown us no repsect, so they deserve none in reutrn. The NFL would go ballistic, but what could they actually do about it?

The media can downplay the Denver game and make all the excused they want (Peyton was rusty, ran out of time, lost his arm strength etc.), but Denver are a top AFC team - and we controlled that game. The final result flatered the broncos. It was only a 1-score game because we took our foot off the gas too early.

SanDiego were off to a 2-0 start when we faced them.

The Skins are 6-5 in games against rest of the NFL, and in playoff contention. We beat them by 7 on the road. The reigning champions only beat them by 4 at home.

The Panthers may have poor record, but 7 of their losses were by 1 score. The Bears only beat them by 1 at home.

The Bucs were hot, having won 5 of 7 when we played them and are still in playoff contention

The Saints won 5 of 7 before playing us last week.

The Eagles were 3-3 when we played them

The Cowboys were good enough to beat the Ginats once, and lost by only 1 score in the other game.

Our 2 worst performances were against Oakland and Arizona - 2 teams that were coming off their bye and therefore had an extrat week to game plan against is - a fact which is ignored by the media.