#1 Seed Trend

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

So we all know how the #1 seed haven't been great at reaching the Superbowl, historically, but a short trend has started and I'm hoping it keeps going with us if we do get the #1 seed. In 2006, the #1 seeded Bears reached the Superbowl. 3 years later, in 2009 the #1 seeded Aints reached the big dance, and now 3 years later, the projected #1 seeded Falcons can continue that trend. I was hoping the 2003 #1 seed in the NFC reached the Superbowl, but they fell one game short(Eagles lose to Panthers). But the Patriots reached the Superbowl as the #1 seed, but that's in the AFC. The next season, the #1 seeded Eagles reached the Superbowl though.

We need to go 3-0 in the postseason. Period. I do think we are better than every team though. The Niners and Packers will be the toughest match ups just because the Packers can score and the Niners have a good defense.

This.

The only thing I would add is the NYG to your list of GB and SF. We will likely have to beat two of them then the AFC Champ which will probably be either NE, DEN, HOU or BAL. That's three tough games. Better be ready for January ball. We haven't been since 1998.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

This is not a trend to me. Plus I could care less what stats, record, etc. is out there.

If people went off stats, then Biermann would be gone.

If people went off records then brees would still have a Td.

Let new remind you. We went to the eagles and stomped them. We were the ones to give them a flat tire and stole their spare.

We will crush any record and not think twice about it.

Doesn't matter, no way we finish 12-4 IMO. Say we beat the Panthers, which we should we are 12-1. We got the Giants next, could go either way, say we drop that one at home. 12-2. We got Detroit next win that one 13-2. Finish with the Bucs at home. If we already have the # 1 seed locked up against the Lions, do we rest the starters the last week? At that point, yes we want momentum, but 13-3 or 14-2 doesn't make a difference IF THE STARTERS are not playing. On the other hand, the Bucs could be in a fight that last week to earn a wildcard. Do we lay an egg the last week and allow a division rival to waltz into the playoffs, only to possibly face them again 2 weeks later? I say **** no.

Remember a couple of years ago? the Bengals did that. They let the Jets in the playoffs only to end up playing them again 6 days later in the wildcard and the Jets beat them twice. You never give someone a playoff berth, let alone a divisional rival who knows you well, which in our case we could do with Tampa. Even if we swept them, historically, it's really hard to beat a team 3 times in one season.

I don't see the Bears winning out anyway, which is what they have to do. How do the Bears have a better conference record? Maybe because we started with so many AFC games? It would even out in the end. We have only lost to New Orleans as of now. They lost to the Packers, Texans, 49ers and Seahawks as of today.

If the playoffs started today, The Packers would be home vs. the Seahawks...interesting matchup, rematch, Russell Wilson back in Wisconsin, etc.

Edited by JOKER2

Doesn't matter, no way we finish 12-4 IMO. Say we beat the Panthers, which we should we are 12-1. We got the Giants next, could go either way, say we drop that one at home. 12-2. We got Detroit next win that one 13-2. Finish with the Bucs at home. If we already have the # 1 seed locked up against the Lions, do we rest the starters the last week? At that point, yes we want momentum, but 13-3 or 14-2 doesn't make a difference IF THE STARTERS are not playing. On the other hand, the Bucs could be in a fight that last week to earn a wildcard. Do we lay an egg the last week and allow a division rival to waltz into the playoffs, only to possibly face them again 2 weeks later? I say **** no.

Remember a couple of years ago? the Bengals did that. They let the Jets in the playoffs only to end up playing them again 6 days later in the wildcard and the Jets beat them twice. You never give someone a playoff berth, let alone a divisional rival who knows you well, which in our case we could do with Tampa. Even if we swept them, historically, it's really hard to beat a team 3 times in one season.

I didn't say it was going to happen. Oh and it was the Colts that let the Jets in the playoffs by pulling Peyton and losing and then the Jets turned around beat them in the playoffs.

I don't see the Bears winning out anyway, which is what they have to do. How do the Bears have a better conference record? Maybe because we started with so many AFC games? It would even out in the end. We have only lost to New Orleans as of now. They lost to the Packers, Texans, 49ers and Seahawks as of today.

If the playoffs started today, The Packers would be home vs. the Seahawks...interesting matchup, rematch, Russell Wilson back in Wisconsin, etc.

I don't think we can afford to sit our starters.. If we get the bye week, that one extra week is enough.. The last couple of years have shown that the hottest team at the end of the season has the best chance to go far in the playoffs. No reason to bench our starters in week 17 and take a 2 week break if we want our momentum to carry over into the postseason.. I guess we could do like the 2009 Colts and play the starters in the first half and the backups in the second, but I just don't want us to lose our momentum by resting the starters too much, if we get that 1st round bye.