Is Niners Locker Room Divided Over Benching Of Alex Smith?

falcons007

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/schefter-staley-upset-over-alex-smiths-benching/

Schefter: Staley upset over Alex Smith’s benching

Posted on December 2, 2012 by Grant Cohn

This is what Adam Schefter just said on Sportscenter.

SCHEFTER: “It’s not just 49ers fans fans who have gotten emotional about the decision to bench Alex Smith and start Colin Kaepernick.

“It turns out that offensive tackle Joe Staley has as well. One day during practice last week when 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh noticed Staley seemed down, he pulled him aside, and the two had a discussion about it.

“Staley explained that Alex Smith is his best friend, somebody he had blocked for throughout his entire career and he was disappointed to see Smith treated the way he was.

“Harbaugh explained why he made the decision that he did to Staley. It’s not that Staley didn’t believe that Kaepernick could do the job, but he felt that strongly about his friendship for Smith and the job that he has done.

“It just goes to show you that there is more emotion involved in a simple decision than to just go with Colin Kaepernick at this point in time.”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never agreed with it. What was the reasoning behind Harbaugh's decision? You don't sit your starting QB who had been playing extremely well all season and led the league in completion percentage and QB rating at one point late in the season . . . .

I guess same reason they went after Peyton Manning in the off season. Its weird though.

I guess same reason they went after Peyton Manning in the off season. Its weird though.

What message were they sending to Alex Smith then . . . . and what message are they sending now? I know Smith has to be seething on the inside. They played him in the off-season, and now this is nothing short of a daggar to the heart and jugular at the same time. Non-sense!

Yeah, Alex wasn't playing extremely well. He was doing ok. I heard on countdown smith had 6 passes over 20 yards in 270 or something passes. Colin had that in 74 passes. Nobody is scared of Alex Smith in the post season

Yet they were a doorstep away from the SB. Harbaugh messed up man. I did not know you had to play extremely well to keep your starting gig.

in a league where injuries are part of the game, the unwritten rule that a player doesn't lose his starting job due to injury is a key tenet to the mindset that helps players put their body on the line week after week. While Harbaugh may be right that Kaepernick gives them a better chance to win in the long run, there's something to be said for team chemistry and respecting those unwritten rules which are the foundation of the integrity of the game.

Yet they were a doorstep away from the SB. Harbaugh messed up man. I did not know you had to play extremely well to keep your starting gig.

yeah he helped them. But perhaps Jim thinks Colin is the better QB. He torched that Bears defense. I think Colin will have his ups and downs. But I also think he is a better QB then Alex

Yeah, Alex wasn't playing extremely well. He was doing ok. I heard on countdown smith had 6 passes over 20 yards in 270 or something passes. Colin had that in 74 passes. Nobody is scared of Alex Smith in the post season

A 70% completion rate is nothing to snub your nose at. And the Rams aren't scared of Kaepernick now. If 49ers didn't have those two pick 6's against Saints they might have lost too. He lead them to a whopping 17 points.

What an upgrade.

Edited by Sui_Generis

A 70% completion rate is nothing to snub your nose at. And the Rams aren't scared of Kaepernick now. If 49ers didn't have those two pick 6's against Saints they might have lost to. He lead them to a whopping 17 points.

What an upgrade.

Some players on the team might be asking the same question in their minds.

Chemistry sometimes out weighs talent. I do believe that Kaepernick is a good to great QB, but the 49ers were a botched catch away from the SuperBowl last year.

Alex Smith balled out in the playoffs last year. Kind of weird to just switch it up midstream. The old saying rings true. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Think Harbaugh might of outsmarted himself on this one.

Edited by Sui_Generis

Smith was definitely playing good enough to not lose his starting job because of an injury, I pretty much feel like Harbaugh did him wrong....and it would be fitting if it turns out to bite him in the azz....chemistry is very important in a "team" game, all the individual talent in the world won't win in the NFL if you can't play together....just look at the Eagles so called "dream team" from last year

Nope. Sure isn't. And yet Alex Smith still isn't starting

Because Harbaugh is the coach. This is the guy who should have a translator at his pressers.

Over a 70% pass completion, third best record for a starting QB in two years, and a botched catch from the SB.

But yet QB's like Sanchez just now got benched today. I don't understand it, but it's cool with me. Whatever helps the Birds clinch HFA sooner.

I never agreed with it. What was the reasoning behind Harbaugh's decision? You don't sit your starting QB who had been playing extremely well all season and led the league in completion percentage and QB rating at one point late in the season . . . .

That is how I feel about it all. Even now if they do go back to Smith he already has that in his head and could possible affect his play.

Alex Smith was the NFC Offensive Player of the Week the game before he got hurt, and he was 7 for 8 with a TD in the game he did get hurt in.

With the way it all went down you just gotta believe this was Harbaugh's plan all along he just kinda got gift wrapped his chance to do it in his mind with Smith getting injured isn't he a FA next year? If so I know of a few teams that would like to have him

It should be...

Makes absolutely zero sense to bench a veteran of Smith's skills and resume the past two seasons over an absolute unproven, unknown rookie at this juncture of the season.

If one was a starting and performing veteran at any position right now how secure and appreciated would you feel if you suddenly were injured?

I like Harbaugh a lot and certainly am not questioning his coaching ability...I'm questioning his leadership, discernment and judgment skills to sustain unity and loyalty of his players.