1980 Falcons-Dallas Defeat

jm_falcons

Still remember it like it was yesterday. We really had the best team that year. We win the SB if we win that game. I still remember Madden saying at one point that year that the Falcons beating the Patriots was the best football team he had seen all year.

I haven't watched a minute of that game since seeing it live. That loss set the team back almost a decade.

Ironically, the Super Bowl that year was also held in New Orleans...

I haven't watched a minute of that game since seeing it live. That loss set the team back almost a decade.

Ironically, the Super Bowl that year was also held in New Orleans...

I haven't watched it either. It was such a shame too, because Philly ended up going, and the Falcons completely owned them earlier that season and would have gotten them at home. I believe the Falcons would have beaten the Raiders in the SB that year for sure. The loss to Dallas was just a complete coaching blunder. Took the foot off the gas and let them back in it.

I almost lost my job that day. I was 17 years old and working in a restaurant as a cook. I had to work that day and we were watching when we could and listening. When they lost I went in the back and started just throwing sh*t everywhere. My boss was upset too but he told me if I didn't calm down he was going to have to fire me on the spot. I still remember the quote from White that burned me the most all. It went something like "I threw three interceptions and our guys caught them all." In other words balls he thought should have been picked off but weren't.