Robert Mcclain: Informational Tidbits

theProf

Robert "Reggie" McClain (born July 22, 1988) is an American football cornerback for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League. McClain was a seventh round draft pick of the Carolina Panthers. He was a cornerback, punt returner, and kick returner with the University of Connecticut Huskies.

McClain was a co-captain in 2009 and was selected as All-Big East Second Team cornerback by the coaches and first team Big East as a punt returner by various media organizations. He received the Brian Kozlowski Award "designated for a courageous, hard working and productive person", named for the former Husky tight end and 13-year NFL veteran. McClain was "stellar in all aspects of the game this year contributing on both defense and special teams," and finished his senior season with 60 tackles, four interceptions, three pass breakups and a fumble recovery on defense. McClain stepped in as the punt returner halfway through the season running back 15 punts for a Big East leading 222 yards and a touchdown.[1]

McClain is 5'9" tall and approximately 200 pounds. He attended Patuxent High School in Lusby, Maryland.[2]

College career

2009 season

McClain was tied for second best with 4 interceptions in the Big East, was third on his team with 60 tackles in regular season play, and was considered a prospect for the NFL draft.[3][4] In 10 games he returned 15 punts for 222 yards, an average return of 14.8 yards, including one returned for a touchdown.[5] He also returned two kickoffs for 24 yards.[5] He intercepted 10 passes during his career at UConn.[5]

After a performance in the PapaJohns.com Bowl at Legion Field where McClain was "seemingly was everywhere on defense and special teams Saturday in the Huskies’ 20-7 win over South Carolina", with four tackles, two tackles for losses, three pass breakups breaks up on defense" and impressive punt returns, McClain said he will be trining for a pro football career. "I’m praying to God it happens so I can continue playing football and work hard. Hopefully I get invited somewhere. If it works out, it works out, great. If it doesn’t, it’s the military. I’m going to the Marines. I’ve got to have a plan in case football doesn’t work out." McClain also said he would remember the season, his coaches and his teammate and friend "Jazz" (Jasper Howard) who died in a stabbing during the season for the rest of his life.[6]

2008 season

In the 2008 season McClain intercepted two Cincinnati passes, returning one for a touchdown to help secure a victory.[7] He started against Syracuse November 15 after an injury to Darius Butler and returned an interception 37 yards for a touchdown. He played in all 13 games with four starts, recorded 30 tackles on the season and led the team in tackles in an International Bowl victory over Buffalo University January 3 with eight (including 3.5 tackles for a loss). He accumulated a total of three interceptions on the season, 5.5 tackles for a loss, five pass breakups, a quarterback hurry.[3][5]

2007 season

McClain played corner back and on special teams in 13 games. He recovered a fumble at Pittsburgh and recorded his first career interception against Maine. He made five tackles at West Virginia, four tackles and an interception in a win over Rutgers, and intercepted an end zone pass in the against University of South Florida. He became a starter in the final regular season game at West Virginia University and was a nickel back for much of the season finishing with 30 tackles (19 solo), three interceptions and three other pass breakups.[3][5]

2006 season

McClain played in the final seven games on special teams returning 13 kickoffs for an average of 19.0 yards and two punts. He made five tackles in coverage, four of them solo tackles, and was named the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Week on three occasions.[3]

High school

McClain was an All-State selection in Maryland, named first-team All-Metro by the Washington Post as a defensive back, named All-League as both a running back and a defensive back as a senior and all league defensive back as a junior. He rushed for 1,105 yards and 12 touchdowns, caught 25 passes for 421 yards and four touchdowns, and returned five kickoffs for touchdowns in 2005, one short of the national single-season record. McClain also returned a punt 98 yards for a touchdown, intercepted six passes in 2005, broke up 19 others, and made 53 tackles. He attended high school with former UConn tailback Terry Caulley. He attended Eaglecrest High School in Aurora, Colorado in 2002-2003, where he played as a starting running back. He then later attended Patuxent High School for the remainder of his high school career.

http://en.wikipedia..../Robert_McClain

CB Robert McClain getting a little buzz

Could have added value as a return man Brad Biggs

March 24, 2010, 03:53 PM EST

Connecticut cornerback Robert McClain had a strong showing today at his pro day, turning in a 40-yard dash time of 4.42 seconds and turning heads with a 38-inch vertical jump and 23 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds.

A second team All-Big East selection this past season after tying for second in the league for interceptions with four, McClain is a little on the small side at 5-9, 194 pounds, but he’s got some versatility that NFL teams like. He was third on the Huskies in tackles last season and has played nickel back in the past.

His real value could come on special teams, particularly as a punt returner. He was sixth in the nation among seniors with an average of 12.6 yards per return, including an 87-yard touchdown vs. Cincinnati.

McClain has already had a visit with the New England Patriots, according to a league source. He has a visit scheduled with the Jacksonville Jaguars and will conduct a private workout for the San Francisco 49ers.

http://www.nationalf...z.html&team=125

TRANSACTIONS

Selected in the seventh round (249th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft (4/24/10) by Carolina...Played in 16 games with two starts...Registered seven tackles and one pass defensed...Finished third on the team with 11 special teams tackles...Started as an extra defensive back when the Panthers opened in a dime defense versus Atlanta (12/12) and in a nickel defense versus Arizona (12/19).

.............Waived by Carolina (9/3/11)....

http://www.panthers....d-4f53c65ed12d/

• Jags waive CB Robert McClain
    Thu, Dec 29, 2011 06:24:00 PM

McClain did not appear in a game for the Jaguars after being signed on December 12, 2011.

http://www.rotoworld.../robert-mcclain

Falcons sign McClain to a one-year contract for $540,000 for the 2012 season. He will become a Restricted Free Agent in 2013

http://www.spotrac.c...robert-mcclain/

Behind the Facemask: Robert McClain

Published on November 9, 2012, by admin in All News.

Reggie Roberts: Big stuff this weekend. Big game. Loud dome. Archrival Saints. Have you thought about what that atmosphere will be like this weekend in the “Big Easy?”

Robert McClain: I think it’s going to be a really good environment. We know it’s going to be loud because their fans really get into it. We’ve had a great week of practice, and we’re ready.

RR: Your name sounds so presidential. Do you have a nickname that your friends and family call you?

RM: Bobby Mac, Rob and McClain. Any of those three will do.

RR: Let’s talk about your NFL career. You were drafted by Carolina and have spent time with Jacksonville. This is your third NFL team. Would you like to stay here for a minute?

RM: I definitely want to stay here. This is a fantastic place. We’ve got great players, great coaches and I have learned since I’ve have been here. I’ve been blessed and I thank God for all he has given me since I’ve been here.

RR: Do you know how hard it is for free agents to make the rosters for NFL teams?

RM: I never looked at it like that. All I looked at was the opportunity. I knew that once I got on that field, I had a chance. That’s one of the things my college coach taught me. (McClain played at the University of Connecticut under former coach Randy Edsell). He taught me that the only thing I needed to concern myself with is being ready. I felt like I had a chance (to make the Falcons roster) during the summer when we took that bus trip up the road to scrimmage and practice against Tennessee. We only had four corners that day, but I told myself that I was going to make the most of all of the repetitions in practice because all I wanted was a chance.

RR: Not only did you make the team, you recorded your first career interception – on Monday Night Football – against future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning. What was that like?

RM: Again, it’s all about being ready. Every week, I prepare myself like I am going to start because in the NFL, you are only one play from being out on that field so you’ve got to stay ready.

RR: What website do you visit every single day?

RM: CNN. It’s my home page. Since I was a political science major in college, I always check out CNN.com so I can stay up on what’s going on in the world, pop culture, music, travel, and all of the broad categories on that.

RR: What’s Robert McClain like away from football?

RM: I’m laid back. I keep to myself. I’m kind of a quiet guy.

RR: In your humble opinion, who is the best dressed Falcons player and who is the best dressed Falcons assistant coach?

RM: That’s an easy one. It’s Mike Pete (Falcons veteran LB Mike Petersonicon-article-link.gif). Every week, he comes with something different, but it’s always, clean, classy and stylish. As far as the coaches, it’s a lot of sport coats so they all kind of blend in. Coach Nolan (Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan) is probably the best dressed assistant coaches on our team.

RR: I think I read someplace where you are a pretty decent artist. Do you draw or paint?

RM: I started in the fourth grade. Drawing and art runs in my family in that my uncle, my mother, and my brother all draw. I am interested in doing something with my drawing, and I am researching that aspect of art right now.

RR: Who is your celebrity dream date with?

RM: Eva Mendez

RR: Last thing. You are hosting a dinner party. You can have five men and five women from any period of history. Who would you invite, where would the dinner be held, and what would you serve?

RM: The five men would Robert McClain (Dad), Mark Smith (brother), movie director Spike Lee, and comedians Bernie Mac and Mike Epps. The five women would be Belinda McClain (Mom), actress Eva Mendez, singer Alicia Keys, First Lady Michelle Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. We would have the dinner at a seafood restaurant somewhere in Rhode Island and we would serve seafood because I like lobster.

http://www.atlanta-f...robert-mcclain/

Connecticut cornerback Robert McClain had a strong showing today at his pro day, turning in a 40-yard dash time of 4.42 seconds and turning heads with a 38-inch vertical jump and 23 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds.

23 reps on the bench press for a CB is quite impressive. This would have been second-best for CBs at the 2010 combine, if McClain would have been invited to the combine.

I thought that there was no way in heck he was going to make this team after the first few games of the preseason... When he came in against Denver, I'm like "oh no, this won't end well"... and he keeps balling out. What a great find and I love it when players who bust their a$$ to get everything they have get a chance to play and then play very well. He has definitely been a life saver out there since Grimes went down. Also, a little shout out to CO who played very well Thursday night. Who would have known that with a honest to goodness "real" DC, guys like McClain and Owens can make an impact on the football field.

He's a really well built player. 194 lbs, strong with speed and sound tackler. Looks like he's in the right system here too. Helps that Asante and DRob have taken him under there wings. I wanted him gone in PS for Peyton Thompson bad but McClain is a very good player.

A lot of us wanted to see him out there earlier in the season.

there was a thread during preseason that was more harsh than that. People were not impressed with him. Again I can't remember exactly what other CBs we had, but I'm pretty sure it was McClain that was getting a lot of hate.

after i saw how he was covering his man in the broncos game i already knew he had potiential but half the time these defenders DO NOT!! know how to play in front of the WR and i been sayin that s**** for f***** YEARS!!!!

So true. Asante told me NFL coaches don't really teach these guys how to play corner. Nolan brought in a guy that teaches. Plus Asante himself is teaching and taking guys under his wing. It's good to have position coaches that were former players.

"McClain was a co-captain in 2009 and was selected as All-Big East Second Team cornerback by the coaches and first team Big East as a punt returner by various media organizations.........His real value could come on special teams, particularly as a punt returner. He was sixth in the nation among seniors with an average of 12.6 yards per return, including an 87-yard touchdown vs. Cincinnati."

I didn't know that McClain was an accomplished punt returner in college.