You're The Coach - What Would You Have Done?

Bart2Ryan+beyond

I'm thinking about Smitty's decision to attempt the 55yd FG late in the 4th. To recap, Atl is up by 7 with 4.5 minutes to go. It was 4th and too long to go for it, so do you punt (worst case scenario it goes in the end zone and NO gets it at their 20) or do you attempt the FG (worst case scenario is a miss and NO starts at their 45)?

I agree with the decision because if it is good then you're up by ten with 4.5 minutes to go plus you get the bonus of raising Bryant's confidence after his bad game at TB (plus no one is really going to fault Bryant if he misses a 55yd FG). If he does miss then Brees has 4.5 minutes and 55 yards to go to TIE the game. To me that's the key. The D was playing great and, unless Vitt wants to go for two, the worst thing that'll happen is a time game.

Odds are that if NO gets the TD that they won't use up all of the clock (getting the ball near mid-field), so it's likely Atl gets the ball back with about a minute left and a couple of timeouts. So I agree with the decision and I'm trying to ignore the fact that I know the kick was good.

But if the Falcons were up by less than a TD then I say punt it and force NO to go the length of the field and put the game on your D's shoulders.

What say ye?

i say we dont even get in that situation in the first place. Dont sit on a 10 point game before halftime vs the saints.

Go no huddle and take some time off the clock.the conservative attitude is gonna kill us 1 day. Come out like a ball of fire then the rest of the game look like a burned out match.

Koetter doesnt know the saints and that gameplan was dumb. Luckly Nolan had his guys ready.

Saints offensive coaching was truly horrible in that game.

in the second half we were gashing the Falcons defense with traditional I-Formation runs. What good does it do to keep switching from I-Formation runs to empty backfield pass formations? you are telling the defense what you are doing

if you are able to run for 4-10 yards a carry, you don't stop running until they shut it down. period.

I was fine with the FG. Our kicker is better than the misses he has had recently. he needed this kick. Not allowing him to try would say we no longer trust him or we think he cant do it.

Also Smith has took chances vs the saints. many times not paying off. But id rather he take 1 risk that take none and lose the game because he played not to lose instead of playing to win.

even if we missed... it was the right call to kick the FG.