Updated Mock Going Into The Mini-Bye

Zodiac

I have to say, I'm blown away with the progress that Dent has made since he started getting a big amount of reps a few weeks back. His first two or three starts he looked bad, the last 4 he's done very well in both coverage and run support. The interior on the other hand continues to erode week by week. I love Todd McClure but from a physical standpoint it's probably time for him to hang it up after this year, he just isn't showing the strength to push DL-men off the POA and the lateral quickness to consistently get out on these WR screens. I'll say the same thing that I always have about Konz. He's a great C prospect but he'll never be a great guard. I'm not sure what has happened to Blalock but he has been bad the past three weeks but he did rebound a little bit from last week's debacle. Overall the entire interior OL looked bad in pass protection. They consistently got knocked around and pushed back. That cannot continue to happen. On the defensive side Travian Robertson made some good plays and got two pressures, a QB hit, and a stop on a running play in 18 snaps. He continues to progress with more and more reps but we still need a large body to get in there and physically dominate the POA.

Trade- Falcons trade their first round pick to the Eagles in exchange for their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

2nd Round, 38th Overall Pick. Larry Warford, G, Kentucky, 6'3 340 LBs.- Guard is by far the biggest need on this team. The more I watch Warford the more I am comfortable with his ability to function well in a vertical offense. He has exceptional lateral agility and can get out and pull. Warford's feet are also very good for an interior lineman and his strength happens to be exceptional. Warford may look like a road grader (and he is) but he can also get out and pull on counters and shift around up front to pick up blitzers. The big issue I have with Warford is that he wears down as the game goes along and starts to lean on the DL-Man. It's probably in his best interest to get to the 330-335 LB Range so he can stay fresh during games.

2nd Round, 60th Overall Pick. Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State, 6'1 200 LBs- I have Randle as my top rated RB for this class, but to be honest I have no idea how much RBs will be valued in this draft since the RB class is relatively weak. Randle is a weird back in a way that he has a great frame and potential to add more weight and increase his power but he works very well at his current weight because he's so explosive and dynamic in the open field. The best case for Randle would be to get to about 210-215. He has a good amount of power and has punched in quite a few TDs for the Cowboys this season. He reminds me of Jamaal Charles in some ways but he doesn't have the break away speed or super fast acceleration that Charles does. He'd be a very good rotational back with JacQuizz IMO.

3rd Round, 68th Overall Pick. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers, 6'6 220 LBs- I'll give credit to JMPasq for showing me this guy. I'm blown away, he's a big man that can read coverage, run great routes, and has long strider speed (AKA his 40 will be meh but running 60 yards down the field he's pretty **** fast). I had worries because I know bigger guys can be clumsier off their releases, especially when they are being jammed but he managed to get off of his release. I'm not entirely sure if he declares but I've been informed that he's leaning towards declaring. He reminds me a lot of Colston of a first glance but I need to get a better 2nd look at him. Either way he automatically boosts the WR depth and gives us a huge red-zone threat.

3rd Round, 94th Overall Pick. Daniel McCullers, DT/NT, Tennessee, 6'8 380 (Yes 380) LBs- McCullers is another prospect whose status is up in the air but with all the turmoil at UT he could easily declare. I know I had him 4th round a couple weeks ago but I am moving him up. As I said before the guy is massive and when he gets proper leverage you are not moving him off the POA. He's also shown the ability to push the pocket in passing situations off of pure strength. I can only imagine what our DL would be like if we put 5 down men (Abe, Babs, McCullers, Peters, Biermann) and got McCullers matched up one on one with a C. Also He's 6'8 with long arms, there's a certain QB in our division that is 6'0 tall and has to throw over DL. He'd be perfect in short yardage and goal line situations.

(Trade, trading out 4th round and next years 3rd to move up to the 104th overall pick)

4th Round, 104th Overall Pick. Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State, 6'5 280 LBs- Sims is a freak of nature and likely to declare due to the fact that the QB situation at Michigan State is an absolute mess. At 280 LBs Sims can reportedly run in the sub 4.7. Yes I basically just said a 280 LB man that runs in the 4.5-4.6 40 range, we might need to go check Al Davis' grave to make sure he's still there. Either way Sims has been a consistent target for Michigan State and QB Andrew Maxwell having hauled in 35 Balls for 400+ yards and 2 TDs (Note he missed 3 games during the season). So why is Simms falling this far? He's only been a starter for one year and has a felony charge on record from when he was indicted as being a part of a computer stealing ring in HS I believe. Either way at this point I feel our locker-room can handle that type of "risk". Especially considering that Sims hasn't had any run ins w/ the law since then.

4th Round (Compensatory Pick)- Kenny Tate, S/LB, Maryland. 6'4 230 LBs- Kenny Tate was in my 6th round in the last draft. After watching much more of Tate I've moved him up quite a bit. He can be the big nickel that we need. He is somewhat stiff in the hips but he's a thumper in the run game and would be the best thing we could get in this draft to line up over Jimmy Graham every time we play the Saints. His versatility as a LB is something that both Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Nolan will love.

5th Round- 166th Overall Pick (Adjusted for Comp)- Terron Armstead, OT, Ark-PB, 6'5 320 LBs- Armstead was a guy I looked into a few weeks back and came away impressed with what I saw. He needs some polish and coaching but Armstead also has long arms and quick feet along with great lateral agility (Pine-Bluff would have him completely pull around the OL at times as a lead blocker.) He's a punishing run blocker in the FCS and he looks like he could be a very good RT in the future if he is developed right. The one thing I've noted in his passing set is that he leaves his base a little to wide when protecting against the speed rush and this could leave him susceptible to inside moves.

6th Round- 204th Overall Pick-Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Mizzou, 6'3 240 LBs- Gooden is a very fast LB who also happens to be Sean Weatherspoon's replacement at Missouri. There was some hype surrounding Gooden as a prospect coming into this season but he's had a down year and I'm not sure if he has the physicality or instincts to be a starter in the NFL. Still he has all the making of being a very good ST player and quality depth.

7th Round- 248th Overall Pick- Dri Archer, RB, Kent State, 5'7 175 LBs- Archer is lightning in a bottle and has apparently been timed at a 4.21 running the 40. He likely lacks the size and durability to be an every down runner but he would be a dangerous KR and screen game back. He'd give the STs the home run threat it needs at KR.

I like the idea of trading out of the first myself and have mentioned a few times as well. Like the positions addressed in your draft as well. I dont know much about the individual players because I don't watch much college football. Just curious why you would not look at DT or DE before the third pick though.

The play of Babineaux and Walker have been exceptional in terms of rushing the passer and pushing the pocket. They've both done a great job, Travian Robertson has flashed some as well. The important thing to remember is that Jerry is a FA and he may not be retained, bringing in McCullers gives Atlanta the big situational NT that they could use in GL situations and he also has a lot of potential in the future.

DE is deep in this class and I have a feeling teams will make a huge run on them, so while we'd still get a quality DE that is a good value pick if we wait till next year we could get a very good DE that falls just due to the fact that so many teams drafted a pass rusher in the prior draft and simply can't afford the luxury of taking another one so soon with other needs.

The play of Babineaux and Walker have been exceptional in terms of rushing the passer and pushing the pocket. They've both done a great job, Travian Robertson has flashed some as well. The important thing to remember is that Jerry is a FA and he may not be retained, bringing in McCullers gives Atlanta the big situational NT that they could use in GL situations and he also has a lot of potential in the future.

DE is deep in this class and I have a feeling teams will make a huge run on them, so while we'd still get a quality DE that is a good value pick if we wait till next year we could get a very good DE that falls just due to the fact that so many teams drafted a pass rusher in the prior draft and simply can't afford the luxury of taking another one so soon with other needs.

Gotcha. Also, why not pick up another big RB at the end of the draft for short yardage situations?

I doubt we go the whole draft without adding a pass rusher. I like Biermann, but still nobody but Abe. Even if you just add Tank or Quanterus as injured players to bring along slowly. We have the 14th ranked defense compared to the 7th ranked offense. Don't take the defense's performance last night out of proportion. Add a DE and DT to the front that can pressure QBs and collapse pockets while being stout in the run game is what we need first. You can find the pieces we need on offense in the mid to late rounds (TE, OG, RB). I like Warford, but you can get a guy like Frederick, Jackson or Bailey in the 3rd and be fine. Same with RBs. I like the Sims pick and think he could be good in the league at 275. Like a Crumpler time TE.

Overall, I think still too much emphasis on the offense when DLine is the biggest need. McClure is the only weak link on the OLine right now. We don't know if they are going to move Hawley up or slide Konz over and make another fight at RG with Reynolds. But we do know that we will be without Edwards and most likely Sidbury in our DE stable. That's 2 less DEs and most likely moving on from Jerry.

I doubt we go the whole draft without adding a pass rusher. I like Biermann, but still nobody but Abe. Even if you just add Tank or Quanterus as injured players to bring along slowly. We have the 14th ranked defense compared to the 7th ranked offense. Don't take the defense's performance last night out of proportion. Add a DE and DT to the front that can pressure QBs and collapse pockets while being stout in the run game is what we need first. You can find the pieces we need on offense in the mid to late rounds (TE, OG, RB). I like Warford, but you can get a guy like Frederick, Jackson or Bailey in the 3rd and be fine. Same with RBs. I like the Sims pick and think he could be good in the league at 275. Like a Crumpler time TE.

Overall, I think still too much emphasis on the offense when DLine is the biggest need. McClure is the only weak link on the OLine right now. We don't know if they are going to move Hawley up or slide Konz over and make another fight at RG with Reynolds. But we do know that we will be without Edwards and most likely Sidbury in our DE stable. That's 2 less DEs and most likely moving on from Jerry.

The only DE I would feel completely comfortable is Okafor and I'm not sure he will be there. I think Sam Montgomery will but there's huge bust potential with him. I like Carradine and will consider him depending on his progress over the off-season w/ his ACL

Guest Negatorris

I would love Brandon Coleman. I know we don't need more WRs, but put with Julio and Roddy, it would become near impossible to cover them. Coleman is ever taller than Calvin Johnson. It would be nice to have a guy with that kind of size. Also, I think drafting a DE is as important as drafting an OG.

I would love Brandon Coleman. I know we don't need more WRs, but put with Julio and Roddy, it would become near impossible to cover them. Coleman is ever taller than Calvin Johnson. It would be nice to have a guy with that kind of size. Also, I think drafting a DE is as important as drafting an OG.

We can always find a decent pass rusher to provide a solid 6-7 sacks. The best OG in this years FA class is Brandon Moore. AKA the guy who forced Sanchez to fumble by using his ***

I also want Warford and hope he'll be available with our 2 Rd pick; would be willing to trade up in 2nd to be sure we get him.

I never believed Konz was destined to stay at RG; just think it helps to have him cross trained and also have a good grasp of the position while he works at C.

I also want Warford and hope he'll be available with our 2 Rd pick; would be willing to trade up in 2nd to be sure we get him.

I never believed Konz was destined to stay at RG; just think it helps to have him cross trained and also have a good grasp of the position while he works at C.

Yea I don't think trading up in the top two rounds is extremely feasible. Trading back is a route that I think Dimitroff and company will weigh heavily

I agree with this approach. Sensible, can be done w/o wrecking our draft. Give 2 of our 1st 3 picks to Nolan. If he can "cobble together" a defense like ours has played lately, imagine what he can do with w/ 2 hand picked players at the positions he feels we need most to run the defensive scheme he prefers! Peters is likely to walk after this year and one of the 3 DT's you mentioned would be an improvement.

On offense, RG and RB are our top needs. The remaining top 3 pick could be used to get the best

available between those 2 positions, and the other position selected with the 4th pick. The OL should be another "experiment " next off season. Manly may surprise at RG and Holmes may also be a +.

The OL may look like this-- Baker, Blalock, Konz, Manly ( or draft pick ) and Clabo (or Holmes ) .

I agree with this approach. Sensible, can be done w/o wrecking our draft. Give 2 of our 1st 3 picks to Nolan. If he can "cobble together" a defense like ours has played lately, imagine what he can do with w/ 2 hand picked players at the positions he feels we need most to run the defensive scheme he prefers! Peters is likely to walk after this year and one of the 3 DT's you mentioned would be an improvement.

On offense, RG and RB are our top needs. The remaining top 3 pick could be used to get the best

available between those 2 positions, and the other position selected with the 4th pick. The OL should be another "experiment " next off season. Manly may surprise at RG and Holmes may also be a +.

The OL may look like this-- Baker, Blalock, Konz, Manly ( or draft pick ) and Clabo (or Holmes ) .

I would rather let Jerry walk instead of Peters.

We have too many issues on our OL now.... practically the entire 5 to some degree, and a ton of supposed OL guys developing (Holmes, Hawley, Johnson, Manley, Konz).

TEN OLmen to choose from and the only two that we can say have had semi-good seasons so far are Clabo and Baker.

We MUST get this OL issue resolved.

McClure has been a weak spot for two seasons already, yet...

Hawley has proven incapable of replacing him.

Johnson's been hurt, then hurt again, finally healthy, but he can't claim a G spot.

Konz is not a true G; he's a C.

Blalock is getting worse; not a strong point now... after he gets a nice contract extension.

Clabo is getting older and is okay, but not great.

Baker has been better this year thank goodness, but he isn't a great pass blocker or run blocker.

Reynolds at G... always been silly to me that he wins that position. A reflection on ineptness of other options more than anything.

Holmes... who knows at this point?

Manley... same.

I hope that Massoquai, Matthews, and Robertson all become DL studs next season. ** at this point I am assuming that Sidbury is gone since he can't seem to get on the field now** But who knows what we have with Mass... is he yet another good prospect that does nothing??!!

What TD does in the draft this year will tell us a lot about how the coaches see the talent in the young'uns we have hanging around.... but my goodness, we MUST get some legit results on our OL eventually right???

I believe we need a G, and a big DT, both that can contribute and/or start in rookie year.

Guest Negatorris

We can always find a decent pass rusher to provide a solid 6-7 sacks. The best OG in this years FA class is Brandon Moore. AKA the guy who forced Sanchez to fumble by using his ***

That didn't work out so well last time.

I like this draft. We filled just about every need. Warford at G with Konz at C will be a great combination on the inside for years. Randle is a pretty good pick and has great skill. I doubt that Archer will be available in the 7th if he runs in the 4.2s. The raiders may take him in memory of Al.