Veteran Ref On Turner Fumble

Guest Negatorris

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those refs where CLEARLY giving the saints every chance they could to strip that ball. The ball shouldve been blown dead way before the fumble. At the same time Ive seen that exactly at the end of other non related games around the league, but it never turns into anything. Turners tendency to stand his ground physically bit his big caboose there.

One of those guys asks if Vitt should have instantly challenged the touchdown. Its interesting. Because of the rule if Vitt would have challenged immediately after the scoring play, by rule the refs are supposed to take away the chance for review. Meaning the TD stands. Could that have happened even if it would go against the Falcons? Just an interesting loop hole.

Guest Negatorris

Those refs where CLEARLY giving the saints every chance they could to strip that ball. The ball shouldve been blown dead way before the fumble. At the same time Ive seen that exactly at the end of other non related games around the league, but it never turns into anything. Turners tendency to stand his ground physically bit his big caboose there.

Yeah, I was going pretty crazy about that. I'm surprised they didn't give them the TD too.

I mean...how long was Turner stood up by 4 Saints defenders literally just grabbing the guy going nowhere, play well over. Forward progress done...no whistles.

For all this crap about protecting players, that was such a BS play. Should have been over at least 3 or 4 seconds before turned 'fumbles'.

Do not try and blame that on Turner.

That was forward progress if there ever was.

How lame is that to blame it on Turner.

RefJimD_normal.jpg@RefereeJimD

Come on guys this is forward progress! Why would they not kill the play? Unbelievable!

I also officiate football games, albeit not on the pro level and I can say with certainty that if any of us had held up a running play for that long, we wouldn't hear the end of it from the supervisors once we returned to the locker room. You give the ball carrier every opportunity to advance the ball but once it becomes clear that his progress has stopped, you have to go in strong and kill the play with your whistle blaring. Ridiculous...

Edited by ratesforless

One of those guys asks if Vitt should have instantly challenged the touchdown. Its interesting. Because of the rule if Vitt would have challenged immediately after the scoring play, by rule the refs are supposed to take away the chance for review. Meaning the TD stands. Could that have happened even if it would go against the Falcons? Just an interesting loop hole.

Nope, they made the rule so that you can only get this penalty and review punishment if you are the team the review can help

Do not try and blame that on Turner.

That was forward progress if there ever was.

How lame is that to blame it on Turner.

Come on man im not blaming that on turner. The refs screwed us. I get it, but that doesnt completely exonerate turner from not going down/securing the ball better. The saints did the same thing the previous play. Im sorry but he could have played that much safer. Coming off of that horrible decision to run backwards in Tampa i think it is fair to ask if he could have done anything differently. Sorry if that's lame man. Didnt mean to strike a nerve.

Nope, they made the rule so that you can only get this penalty and review punishment if you are the team the review can help

Thanks for clearing that up. Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Anybody believe that if Turner busted loose at the end of that play and ran toward the goal line with the ball, they would not have blown the whistle to stop him?

Yeah, they would have blown it dead at that point. Really weird decision by the refs to let it go on so long. Almost like they were too busy watching and not reffing.

It's like I told the kid tonight,...When we play the Taint's it's an unspoken NFL rule that the refs have to try to give the Bayou ******** every call if at all possible. IE: Katrina Rules. Deal with it.

I think his forward progress had stopped, but lets be honest, we fans see the game moving at 1/60th speed. turner was only stopped for 1-2 seconds before he was stripped. What really hurt us was that one of the saints plays actually helped turner push himself forward a couple yards, which gave the other two saints players enough time to strip him.

Had turner stopped moving when he first got hit( at the 29), then the whistle would have been blown, but him moving forward a second later to the 27/28 made the refs hesitate just enough to give the saints time to strip him.

The refs blew the previous run play dead correctly. That shows, with close proximity, that they know when to blow the play dead for forward progress. The fact that, on the very next play, Turner was stood up for 3-4 seconds with no progress and they they let the play continue is just odd. I can think of only 1 reason, and its bias.

I seen a few things that i didnt like early in the game from the refs. The saints got off 2 plays where the play clock was at 0, one of which was a 30 something yard pass completion. The next thing that i didnt like was the PI on RW. Then, i thought those no calls could have been a coinidence when the refs made the right calls at the end of the 2nd half. However, the false start in the redzone they called on TG, the Turner fumble, and the offsides on abe that negated an INT, changed my mind. I think the ref's bias was on full display tonight.

If anyone can get a clip of that offsides called on abe, it would be appreciated. I seen him move, but i did not see him move forward. Looked like his back leg came up and his body nudged forward but his front leg didnt move.