Update On Babin Waiver Status

As of this post, we know that Babin visited Atlanta last night and apartently is going to NOLA tonight. I was very doubtful of him clearing waivers until I saw this tweet:

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

Interested to see if Babin claimed. Teams I thought might (BAL, ATL, IND, CLE) don't plan to claim him. Many would have free agent interest

Retweeted by Jay Adams

It looks as though most teams are not interested in picking up his contract, which means it looks as though he will hit the market.

Bring him home TD?

Edited by Cole World

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at everything I could about Babin and his 9 years in the NFL, I don't think we will go after him if he clears waivers except for maybe a contract to the end of the year. I don't think there is anyway in the world he would sign a 4 game (plus playoff) contract.

He is 32, has only really had two good years and is not an every down DE.

After looking at everything I could about Babin and his 9 years in the NFL, I don't think we will go after him if he clears waivers except for maybe a contract to the end of the year. I don't think there is anyway in the world he would sign a 4 game (plus playoff) contract.

He is 32, has only really had two good years and is not an every down DE.

I'd prefer we draft/sign a young stud that can play with the team for many years.

Someone posted something debunking that and truthfully, why would a guy visit teams if he hasn't cleared waivers yet?

not sure to be honest. ive never been through the waivers process myself. i guess i would at least think about who i was planning on signing with if i cleared though. maybe he knows he is gonna clear

Beat writer Sean Jensen believes the Bears have interest in free agent DE Jason Babin.

Like many teams, the Bears may not want to put a claim in on Babin because they'd have to eat the remainder of his 2012 salary, roughly $1.8 million. But if he clears waivers at 4 p.m. today, expect a whole bunch of teams to get in on a guy one year removed from an 18-sack season. The Lions, who run the wide-nine scheme Babin prefers, could also show interest. The Ravens, Falcons, Colts and Browns are reportedly not interested.

Has it been confirmed that he actually visited the Falcons last night? Link, source?

Yeah, everybody keeps citing the same article, and it's dubious at best. I find it hard to believe that a guy who hasn't even cleared waivers would be flying around the country visiting teams. He's probably sitting at his home, enjoying his family.

not sure to be honest. ive never been through the waivers process myself. i guess i would at least think about who i was planning on signing with if i cleared though. maybe he knows he is gonna clear

Nah, that's just not how they do things. Why would a team or a player waste time if they had no shot at a guy (assuming he's claimed) instead of waiting a day to find out. I actually think they may be prohibited from contacting a player until he clears.

I don't think you people get it. Babin WANTS to play for a team that has a shot at the SB. That's us and a few others. The Falcons WANT a player that can get some kind of pressure on the QB to compliment Abe. Babin will play for cheap THIS SEASON. But we don't need to keep him for next season.

And to the people saying you'd rather draft a young stud DE..... what? Do you think we can just go out and do that tomorrow or something? This is our year, let's sign this guy to help us win the SB.

I don't think you people get it. Babin WANTS to play for a team that has a shot at the SB. That's us and a few others. The Falcons WANT a player that can get some kind of pressure on the QB to compliment Abe. Babin will play for cheap THIS SEASON. But we don't need to keep him for next season.

And to the people saying you'd rather draft a young stud DE..... what? Do you think we can just go out and do that tomorrow or something? This is our year, let's sign this guy to help us win the SB.

I totally agree, If he clears the waivers, we should pursue him and hopefully lands him... We are already in good position to have HFA and on top of that he got enough time to learn our system from Rushing the passer point of view..

I'm crossing my fingers that he clears waiver...

Just saw this as well:

Sheil Kapadia@SheilKapadia

In addition to Jason Babin's release, Trent Cole recently walked out on a DL meeting, @Tim_McManus reports: http://bit.ly/TldZec

Now my mouth is salivating! That's the DE you go for if he's cut. It would be hilarious (in a good way) to see the two Eagle players that have dominated the Falcons in the past...actually become Falcons.