De At Our 2013 Draft Position?

I like B. Werner(FL ST)who may be available when we draft. He reminds me of Bierman ( high motor guy and relentless ) but Werner seems faster and more athletic. Two DE would not be unreasonable in this draft--one early and one late(in a recent post an African stud was mentioned with only a few years of football experience but very athletic with a high ceiling ( John P. Paul type.) Would like to draft him late as a project. Abraham will likely retire in a year or two.

Question--- opinions on DE's available at our 1st round draft position(27--32)? Or opinions on position we take in 1st round of the 2013 draft.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like B. Werner(FL ST)who may be available when we draft. He reminds me of Bierman ( high motor guy and relentless ) but Werner seems faster and more athletic. Two DE would not be unreasonable in this draft--one early and one late(in a recent post an African stud was mentioned with only a few years of football experience but very athletic with a high ceiling ( John P. Paul type.) Would like to draft him late as a project. Abraham will likely retire in a year or two.

Question--- opinions on DE's available at our 1st round draft position(27--32)? Or opinions on position we take in 1st round of the 2013 draft.

1) Werner is nothing like Biermann aside from the color of his skin. He's going to be the Dirk of DEs -- mix of Jared Allen's relentlessness with Justin Smith's run D. He isn't going to be a pass rushing force, he's more like -- this is a terrible thing to say -- Jamaal Anderson coming out of Arkansas. Raw, big, but talented. He could be very good or average since he doesn't have any moves.

2) So because he's African he's going to be a sick project? Relax Al Davis.

3) You don't actually think JPP is short for John P. Paul, do you? I haven't logged on in months, so am I missing a joke here?

4) I'm all for taking a CB in the 1st round. I don't think at our position we can get a DE to step right in and the top DTs are off the board. A guy like David Amerson who last year was considered a top 5 pick is falling and I'd love a 6'3 ballhawk. This would allow Dunta to move back into the nickel and McClain to operate as a great dime back and amazing depth. If any one of the top 3 gets hurt like Brent did this year, McClain slides into nickel. Our secondary is becoming a strength and we should continue to fortify like how the Giants did with their DE spot. We shouldn't just take a DE to take a DE. Cliff Avril will be a free agent and I'm all for him here -- he's a perfect fit in Nolan's defense. He's like Kroy in that he can play DE, 3-4 OLB and LB but he's a far superior athlete and has been limited by Detroit's lack of defensive scheme. I get goose bumps thinking of him in our defense.

4b) I know people arent going to like this, but I think we should do another Julio trade up. Mainly, our team is so good and we have some quality depth that we could use another star impact player vs. two good guys. The two guys that come to mind are Manti Te'o who we can probably get up to #6 for again, or DT Star from Utah. Te'o is the next Ray Lewis/Junior Seau. He may not have Patrick Willis measurables but he's the greatest defensive leader I've ever watched live in college. Nolan's base defense is a nickel with 3 CBs and 2 LBs. Take a moment and imagine Manti Te'o and Sean Weatherspoon as our two LBs. Our run defense gets a HUGE jolt with both of those guys flying all over, and our pass defense also get a huge boost with both of those guys in coverage and Brent, Asante, and Dunta back at CB fully healthy. Nicholas stays on as SLB, Te'o as MLB, Weatherspoon as WLB -- all can cover, blitz, and stop the run. Dent is good depth, but he's been exposed as a Lofton clone and beat in coverage too often.

Star is like a mix of Suh and Ngata -- he's that good. He probably makes more sense from a positional need standpoint as our run defense and pass rush get a MASSIVE boost from this guy, allowing Babs to get single teams and freeing up our outside DEs and Nich/Spoon on blitzes. I was a LB so the idea of Te'o and Spoon is just too good. Both of these guys are very rare prospects, but you only see a Te'o type maybe once every 8-10 years. There was Seau, then Lewis, now Te'o. There are other good LBs obviously (Willis, Spoon, Beason, Urlacher) but this is the kind of player that changes the culture of your defense for a decade. Spoon could go back to focusing on playing at a very high level and not calling the defense or trying to fire the team up -- he can still yap though.

My ideal offseason looks like:

Big FA signing: DE Cliff Avril

Small FA signing: DT Glenn Dorsey -- finally get the guy in ATL red and black to revive his career as a 4-3 DT

Big move up in draft: MLB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame (1st, 2nd, future 1st)

3rd round pick: slot WR/returner Tavon Austin, WVU

and we're done.

I wouldn't mind taking a QB high. Second or third round. OG in the first.

We have gotten extremely lucky with Matt Ryan's durability. But this is the NFL. Every team is one play away from a forced change of QB's. Does anyone feel confident with the no-talent journeyman Luke McCown? And please don't tell me DD is ready. Or that he ever will be. I don't want to gamble on that.

I also do not want us to pull a 2011 Colts due to the loss of one player.

So my vote is for a studly, promising gun slinging QB to back up Matt Ryan next year.

We have gotten extremely lucky with Matt Ryan's durability. But this is the NFL. Every team is one play away from a forced change of QB's. Does anyone feel confident with the no-talent journeyman Luke McCown? And please don't tell me DD is ready. Or that he ever will be. I don't want to gamble on that.

So my vote is for a studly, promising gun slinging QB to back up Matt Ryan next year.

We have too many positions of need to go with your horrible plan. Next....

We have too many positions of need to go with your horrible plan. Next....

If we fill all the other holes, but end up trotting Luke McCown out the to carry us through a season, all those other filled holes won't mean jack squat.

OG and a strong backup QB a "horrible plan"? You are one cling-on on a baboon's butt of a poster.

If we fill all the other holes, but end up trotting Luke McCown out the to carry us through a season, all those other filled holes won't mean jack squat.

OG and a strong backup QB a "horrible plan"? You are one cling-on on a baboon's butt of a poster.

Don't be silly. Your plan is absolutely terrible. Luckily, it will never happen. Next.

Don't be silly. Your plan is absolutely terrible. Luckily, it will never happen. Next.

OK, you brain-dead feces-eating maggot: tell me why you think my plan is terrible. Tell me what happens if Matt Ryan goes down with a season-ending injury and nothing but Luke McWorthless to guide the team the rest of the way.

I say beef up the o line with mongo's 10.11.12blogphoto16.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1349986161484

I agree. First round: best OG.

Second round: QB or DE

Third round: DE or QB.

The Colts showed the entire league how important an effective back-up QB really is.

With not much different than going from Manning to Curtis Painter, the Colts went from Super Bowl contender to a historically bad team in one year.

Going from Curtis Painter to Andrew Luck, the Colts are playoff contenders in one year.

Are you referring to the guy from BYU? If you have ever watched him, he does not appear nearly as athletic as Pierre Paul. Paul while raw, had solid production and ran 4.6. Ansah has no real stats of note prior to this year. He has been good, but doesn't look at all to be in the class of Pierre Paul. Ansah may be on the board but I'm not a big fan. Datone Jones of UCLA is the DE I really like. Bojern Werner, Sam Montgomer, Jarvis Jones and Damontre Moore (Texas A&M), those are the premium passrushers. All juniors so who knows if they come out. I don't think the Falcons have a shot at any of them. They are going to be picking in the bottom 5 of the first round.

I think guys like Datone Jones, Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan and maybe a Corey Lemonier if he enters the draft are the guys that Atlanta will have a shot at. Time will tell as we get closer to draft day, but when i think about it, I don't even consider those guys until we see a Julio Jones type of move. Thoes types of moves don't happen often.

Also, don't under estimate the possibility of a young CB. We need one bad. Jonathan Banks and Jordan Poyer seem to be the two at the top of the board, but i'm wondering if Desmond Trufant and Terry Hawthorne eventually end up in the first round. RB is still a big need, I don't see a ton of talent, but you have to look at Montee Ball, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylro, Mike Gillislee and maybe LeVeon Bell if he enters.

Edited by isproab

Are you referring to the guy from BYU? If you have ever watched him, he does not appear nearly as athletic as Pierre Paul. Paul while raw, had solid production and ran 4.6. Ansah has no real stats of note prior to this year. He has been good, but doesn't look at all to be in the class of Pierre Paul. Ansah may be on the board but I'm not a big fan. Datone Jones of UCLA is the DE I really like. Bojern Werner, Sam Montgomer, Jarvis Jones and Damontre Moore (Texas A&M), those are the premium passrushers. All juniors so who knows if they come out. I don't think the Falcons have a shot at any of them. They are going to be picking in the bottom 5 of the first round.

I think guys like Datone Jones, Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan and maybe a Corey Lemonier if he enters the draft are the guys that Atlanta will have a shot at. Time will tell as we get closer to draft day, but when i think about it, I don't even consider those guys until we see a Julio Jones type of move. Thoes types of moves don't happen often.

Also, don't under estimate the possibility of a young CB. We need one bad. Jonathan Banks and Jordan Poyer seem to be the two at the top of the board, but i'm wondering if Desmond Trufant and Terry Hawthorne eventually end up in the first round. RB is still a big need, I don't see a ton of talent, but you have to look at Montee Ball, Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylro, Mike Gillislee and maybe LeVeon Bell if he enters.

I like Lemonier if we could get him in the second. Guy has Elite get off. Pretty much a pure speed rusher IMO, not much against the run. I think Nolan could do some things with him.

I really don't think that is going to happen. I think the Falcons like Domnique Davis. While as a free agent rookie he was not ready to be the #2. I think he will be closer to that in year 2. I just don't think with the needs you have at RB, TE, OG, DE/OLB, MLB, CB that you can spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB. Go get Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Moore or Drew Stanton if you want a really good #2. No rookie 2nd rounder in this draft is going to be better.

Edited by isproab

OK, you brain-dead feces-eating maggot: tell me why you think my plan is terrible. Tell me what happens if Matt Ryan goes down with a season-ending injury and nothing but Luke McWorthless to guide the team the rest of the way.

There isn't a backup in the league or a QB in the 2nd/3rd round of the draft that would guide this team deep into the playoffs/to the Superbowl if Matt went down. Not a single one. If Matt's season is over, our season it over. The only thing a good backup would accomplish is giving us a worse draft pick. And, if we had a backup that good, he'd be traded away like Schaub for a player that'll actually see the field, or picks that'll actually see the field.

Either way, it simply won't be happening, no matter how great your idea may be.

Wow. You are mad.

Your plan is terrible. Do I really need to explain it to you? How many teams in the NFL would be dead in the water if their starting QB went down? That's right, an overwhelming majority. We need help on both sides of the line. We need a TE, a WR, a RB, a LB etc etc. Terrible, terrible, terrible...