Mike Smith Achievements

pzummo

Everybody knows a lot of Smitties achievements (winningest Falcon coach, Coach of the Year, blah blah blah), but I was bored and noticed a couple of other nuggets people might not know.

Mike Smith has 53 career wins in his 5th season as the Falcons head coach. The Falcons as a franchise did not accumulate their 53 win until their 12th season in the league.

The Atlanta Falcons had double digit win seasons only 4 times since becoming a NFL franchise prior to Mike Smith being hired as the head coach. The Falcons have had 4 double digit win seasons in Mike Smith's first 5 seasons.

Only 15 Atlanta Falcons teams have ever had a net positive point differential ending a season. Mike Smith has led 4 of those 15, soon to be 5 of 16 after this season. Smith has not led a team with a negative point differential.

Thats why I dont get all the Mike Smith hate.

people wan't to blame someone, despite the team's record. They want to see us win pretty.. They see the patriots or giants win pretty, and they are jealous. Frankly I don't see why they just don't switch teams. Every coach has their style, and the most important stat isn't points, its the number of wins your team has..

Best win percentage of all active coaches, tied with John Harbaugh.

But this is my favorite Mike Smith stat:

In the 42 seasons before Mike Smith became head coach, the best record the Falcons ever had over a 5 season span was 5 games over .500.

Mike Smith is 31 games over .500.

In the 42 seasons before Mike Smith became head coach, the best record the Falcons ever had over a 5 season span was 5 games over .500.

Us fans sure have been spoiled after the 2007 season.

do you think some of the success has to do with the ownership of the falcons as well? Not taking anything away from smitty, hes a good coach and I admire his work ethic and time he committed to our franchise. Though, since Blank bought the team in 01 (might be wrong) the team has been on the up. Now I know there was the Dan Reeves firing (which I wasn't a fan of) and the Bobby Petrino hiring and the Vick era. But you have to give Blank some credit, as an Owner he is VERY PROACTIVE. Yeah he made some bone headed mistakes, but since he bought this team he's been making a good effort to put a winning team on the field. I'm a firm believer a franchise starts from the ownership up. I mean look at the niners eddie debarlo owned them, then when they sold the niners, they were a crap team until the owner decided to fork over a few bucks. Same with the Raiders and their owner issues, and the cowboys as well.

do you think some of the success has to do with the ownership of the falcons as well? Not taking anything away from smitty, hes a good coach and I admire his work ethic and time he committed to our franchise. Though, since Blank bought the team in 01 (might be wrong) the team has been on the up. Now I know there was the Dan Reeves firing (which I wasn't a fan of) and the Bobby Petrino hiring and the Vick era. But you have to give Blank some credit, as an Owner he is VERY PROACTIVE. Yeah he made some bone headed mistakes, but since he bought this team he's been making a good effort to put a winning team on the field. I'm a firm believer a franchise starts from the ownership up. I mean look at the niners eddie debarlo owned them, then when they sold the niners, they were a crap team until the owner decided to fork over a few bucks. Same with the Raiders and their owner issues, and the cowboys as well.

Of course Blank gets credit. He gets credit for hiring TD and Mike Smith.

Mr. Blank had Dan Reeves and fired him and went with Mora and then Petrino. He was in trouble when

Smith got here, very deep trouble. He was making one mistake after another and it was spiraling downward.

He is a good owner but let's remember what Smitty and TD stepped into. We were getting picketed by PETA

and playing losing football. We were a laughing stock.

Mr. Blank had Dan Reeves and fired him and went with Mora and then Petrino. He was in trouble when

Smith got here, very deep trouble. He was making one mistake after another and it was spiraling downward.

He is a good owner but let's remember what Smitty and TD stepped into. We were getting picketed by PETA

and playing losing football. We were a laughing stock.

Blank had enough by December 2007, he reached out to Steelers owner Rooney in putting a blue print for winning franchise. Glad we landed TD and MS and the rest is history. I think Mr. Blank learnt lot from 2007 on what not to do as a owner.