5 Years Old Timers

Miller2Rison

It's been a weird feeling to know that our season isn't over before the playoffs. 2009 was the closest to that feeling, and while they didn't make it, the 3 wins to get above .500 to the end the year was a great way to end a season. The old Falcons would have lost those 3 and finished 6-10. I knew when that happened that things were gonna be different from then on. No more one good year, one bad year, one middle of the road year, inconstancy. Now all we need is some playoff success and (hopefully) a SB victory and I'll be set.

exactly! this is why i find the regular negativity from some on this board to be so absurd. Been following the Falcons for 35 years, and prior to the Dmitroff/Smith/Ryan regime, the "golden years" were 1978-1982. This football club has been so bad that having a winning record every OTHER year for a six-year period was considered "golden," huh.png

While we all wish for better playoff results, at least we don't have to "wish" for the playoffs anymore. That used to be the dream - win more games than we lose, and get into the playoffs...every once in awhile. Now this team is consistently among the NFC leaders. Do they have to win playoff games to be considered elite? of course. But to compare it to what we used to have to root for, this is awesome!

The problem is there are a LOT of pro football fans who jump from team to team, depending on who's good at the time. Ask them who their favorite team is, and you'll get a list of 2-3 teams they root for. When being fair-weathered is built into how one acts as a fan, then it's easy to be critical when a team isn't perfect. Green Bay today, Texans tomorrow - these aren't actual fans, they're just bandwagon riders.

The 2012 Falcons still have a lot to prove in the postseason. And i'll be the first to admit there are weaknesses that could easily cut the postseason short. But the foundation is rock solid.

can u old school falcon fans believe we have not had a losing season in 5 years and are likely to make the playoffs 3 years in a row and have made them 4 out of 5 years.

exactly! this is why i find the regular negativity from some on this board to be so absurd. Been following the Falcons for 35 years, and prior to the Dmitroff/Smith/Ryan regime, the "golden years" were 1978-1982. This football club has been so bad that having a winning record every OTHER year for a six-year period was considered "golden," huh.png

While we all wish for better playoff results, at least we don't have to "wish" for the playoffs anymore. That used to be the dream - win more games than we lose, and get into the playoffs...every once in awhile. Now this team is consistently among the NFC leaders. Do they have to win playoff games to be considered elite? of course. But to compare it to what we used to have to root for, this is awesome!

The problem is there are a LOT of pro football fans who jump from team to team, depending on who's good at the time. Ask them who their favorite team is, and you'll get a list of 2-3 teams they root for. When being fair-weathered is built into how one acts as a fan, then it's easy to be critical when a team isn't perfect. Green Bay today, Texans tomorrow - these aren't actual fans, they're just bandwagon riders.

The 2012 Falcons still have a lot to prove in the postseason. And i'll be the first to admit there are weaknesses that could easily cut the postseason short. But the foundation is rock solid.

Says the rose-colored-glasses wearing Homer Zombie because "real fans" aren't supposed to do anything but post "Yaaaa Team" and ignore the flaws and shortcomings. GTFOH.

Don't forget, we've won 10+ games three years in a row, as well (and four of the last five years). At one point, we lost 10+ games four seasons in a row (1987 - 1990).

LOL and I went to every home game then and watched every away game on TV. Those years you'd get excited at just a 7-10 point deficit in the first quarter.Believing Turk Shonert,Hugh Millen and Steve Dils were good enough to get the Falcons to the playoffs.

46 total years for the Atlanta Falcons

Smith era: 1966-2000 6 playoff appearances 2 division titles and 1 superbowl appearance

Blank era: 2001-Present 5 Playoff appearances (have not clinched yet this year and will not put it until then) 2 division titles and 1 NFC championship appearance.

I have been a Falcon fan since 88ish and I love winning.

Any long time fan would shout from a mountain top that these have been the best years to be a Falcons fan.

Talk about getting no respect. FFS... We were such a dysfunctional franchise with the Smiths as owners. They made decisions based on what their pew buddies told them was smart. The only time we had a decent run was the Eddie LeBaron era.

We are headed in the right direction. We own the regular season. We will win a playoff game, when it is our time.

well i personally am enjoyingg being a relevant team, i actually get to see some falcons games on tv now that i live out of the region and we actually win prime time games now, i actually considered 7-9 a decent season in 2001 bc of how bad we sucked in 99 and 2000. if our not enjoying our consistant success u have obviously not been a fan very long.

can u old school falcon fans believe we have not had a losing season in 5 years and are likely to make the playoffs 3 years in a row and have made them 4 out of 5 years.

I hear ya! I go back to the mid 70s, and I can't laugh enough at threads around here talking about how bad a coach Smith is, or the Matt's not an elite QB. They are both elite! It amazes me that we didn't even mark the 5th consecutive winning season. It was such a big deal a few years back and now no one even paid attention to it.

What is even funnier to me is that all the #7 devotees that littered this site for years could never claim that he had even half this much success. We are truly blessed to be having this much success for so long, and have a young core of great players that will carry us through this decde with more winning. It's amazing after living through the mid-late 80s debacle of Henning and Campbell, June Jones' nonsense in the mid 90s, the #7 nightmare, and the Petrino mess.

46 total years for the Atlanta Falcons

Smith era: 1966-2000 6 playoff appearances 2 division titles and 1 superbowl appearance

Blank era: 2001-Present 5 Playoff appearances (have not clinched yet this year and will not put it until then) 2 division titles and 1 NFC championship appearance.

I have been a Falcon fan since 88ish and I love winning.

I know, right? That's why it's funny when fans of other teams, the Saints in particular, come around trying to belittle the team, because to me, they are great, even if they have struggled in the playoffs recently. I'm just excited to be relevant and winning every year. 31 teams are losers at the end of every season. I don't live my life waiting for SB titles and judging my team on it anymore. (I used to). I just appreciate the effort I see every week from this team. It's fun looking forward to the next game!

its great man im only 28 so im younger than a lot of yall but i attended my first game at fulton co stadium as a toddler back in 88 and went to consistant falcons games growing up with my dad when chris miller was throwin the ball around to tail gating and partying with friends in downtown atl when vick was murdering dogs on the side and the best times to be a falcon fan have def been from 2008-now i just wish i could attend a game again

I don't consider myself old school, but I remember it like it was yesterday the up and down seasons we had with Vick and all the constant talk about never having back to back winning seasons. People acted like that was such a huge deal. Now it seems like nothing.

Hopefully we can make the jump to being perennial playoff team who is upset when we don't make the NFCCG/SB on a regular basis.