Why Are We Not Staying Aggressive?

Scorpion

I am a HUGE Falcons fan but i am starting to doubt our team.

We are keeping games close that we really shouldnt and that is going to come back and bite us in the ***. Everytime we get a lead we go into shutdown mode. When we go up i would like to see us stay aggressive go no huddle and air it out and go up by 2-3 scores. We are very capable of this and have shown in our 4th quarter comebacks that when we play agressive we move the ball with ease. Why not do this from the start and end the game by third QT.

What ALWAYS happens is we will go up (even if its only up by 4 points in 1st half) and then try to run turner up the middle to start killing off the clock (usually results in 1-2 yards gain/loss) or we will thrown some short passes (too scared to go deep with lead). We will also stay in the pocket and kill the clock off.

This is the reason that most of our games we have won by 3-4 points and the ones that we did beat by 2 scores is the result of Turner actually breaking one free during that "conservative mode".

Problem is that this very risky and the risk goes even higher when you play good teams (ie playoff teams). You keep good teams/QB's (aron rodgers, eli mannng, drew brees, Payton Manning) in the game and they will find a way to beat you.

You see all the teams like NE, Saints, Packers,GIants demolish teams because they stay agressive and never give them a shot to get back in the game. They put up 30-40 points and its game over. We couldnt do that even P manning threw 4-5 picks.

I think this is clearly a coaching issue and is one of the biggest reasons we have no had success in the post season.

100% agree. I was sooooo annoyed yesterday. Tampa had ZERO chance of stopping our pass. That was BLATANT. Yet stil, we insisted on wasting downs by handing it to Turner. It is mind boggling!! That game shouldve been a blowout yesterday. Why do we not just let Ryan throw it 40 times a game? WHO ELSE has the receivers we have and the best tight end??? Its sooo frustrating....

Falcons are not punching it in when it matters especially at home. If the Falcons score 43% in red zone at home the margin of victory is much smaller. Un till week 11 the falcons on the road scored TD 65% of the time and average margin of victory was 15 points on the road. Against Tampa it was 50% and the missed FG won't help in putting the game away. The Falcons already pass too much and can't expect to do that against good physical defenses.

Our HC is stuck in a time warp (1990's) where a 3-7 point lead is safe and we can chew clock with a non existent run game and play good defense, because the QB's and WR haven't been given the gift of rule changes that allow them to drive the field at will when you sit back and allow them to do so.

Falcons are not punching it in when it matters especially at home. If the Falcons score 43% in red zone at home the margin of victory is much smaller. Un till week 11 the falcons on the road scored TD 65% of the time and average margin of victory was 15 points on the road. Against Tampa it was 50% and the missed FG won't help in putting the game away. The Falcons already pass too much and can't expect to do that against good physical defenses.

This too...we are not getting it done in the Red Zone

Well for one it's not in Smitty's nature. If you haven't picked up in the last 5 years that he only wants to win the game with minimal effort then you haven't been really paying attention. He'll never attack a team from opening drive until the end of the 4th quarter. Seems he just wants to do enough to make it to the playoffs. After he gets there and what's his plan for team success is a mystery. Historically he has ran the same tired plays in the regular season in the playoffs. Let's hope he doesn't do that this year since he has different coordinators.

Smittyball bro...

Pretty much. Smitty is about time of possession, winning the turnover battle, and minimizing mistakes. I am all for that. So, when we get a lead, how do you minimize mistakes? By running the ball, controlling the clock, and attempting high percentage throws (which are usually short throws).

It's Smitty's mentality. But yeah, more aggression and a killer instinct is paramount more times than not against playoff caliber teams.

All I know is 1 pt. is as good as 21 pts. in a win . I'll take it all day long in the Super Bowl, would anybody disagree, and if you do then which would you rather have a 1 pt loss or a 1 pt win.

You need to go back to 4th grade and take some reading classes because you missed the whole and i mean WHOLE point of my post.

Pretty much. Smitty is about time of possession, winning the turnover battle, and minimizing mistakes. I am all for that. So, when we get a lead, how do you minimize mistakes? By running the ball, controlling the clock, and attempting high percentage throws (which are usually short throws).

It's Smitty's mentality. But yeah, more aggression and a killer instinct is paramount more times than not against playoff caliber teams.

This is exactly why i dont have very much hope of us going deep in the playoffs. If Payton Manning throws 5 picks again and you are still only winning by 4-5 points in the 4th quarter in the playoffs you are playing with FIRE.

ANd you know what happens when you play with fire...you get burned. These elite teams, QB's can score on defenses in 30-40 seconds with ease. Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have shown that time and time again.

The difference is that if Matt throws 3-4 picks against any of the above teams its over. If any of those QB's throw 3-4 picks they are still in the game and we are still playing with fire.

We're in a position to take it easy. Spoon was opining how well Smitty takes care of his guys. i am all for it. That said we need to make our own luck in the Play offs and being conservative is very unlikely to cut much mustard.

I think thursday is another big play off dress rehearsal for this franchise. National TV, arch rival, homefield advantage, a win sends the other team to the Travel Agents and glory is only for the victor. So yeah lets cut loose and only when its 2 TD's or more do we go Smittyballing!

Smitty believes in sitting on a lead by running down the clock. I hate the fact that he is conservative as well but his philosophy has a proven track record because the Falcons are now 10-1 and that is a good thing for the regular season but he needs the "kill or be killed" mentality when it comes to playoff time in order to be successful.

I think some of our fans are completly ignorant about actual NFL football scores:

I am not sure why they are so out-of-touch with reality?

Take this weekend's games for example: 8 games were decided by less than a touchdown.

http://www.nfl.com/scores

No team is winning games and blowing other teams out with regularity. I read the garbage, and think "How Stupid"..... Are they thinking M13 or NCAA. No clue, whatsoever. How sad......

^^^^This.We know Smitty can win in the regular season. I'm really curious to see if he's actually going to do something new for the playoffs.(aka as in "being more aggressive")

This is my only hope. I am hoping hes just trying to to give teams too much video of our true potential and is waiting to unleash it in the playoffs.

However if we go based on previous years playoffs then he just plans on doing the same thing he did in regular season. Lets hope this year is different.

I think some of our fans are completly ignorant about actual NFL football scores:

Take this weekend's games for example: 10 games were decided by less than a touchdown.

No team is winning games and blowing other teams out with regularity. I read the garbage, and think "How Stupid"..... Are they thinking M13 or NCAA. No clue, whatsoever. How sad......

You're right every game does not have to be a blowout, but we don't have to make every game interesting either. When we have our foot on someones throat we need to crush the larynx and we haven't been good at that this year. The culprits to that is poor red zone efficiency collaborated with forcing runs up the gut when we are not good at that either.

This is exactly why i dont have very much hope of us going deep in the playoffs. If Payton Manning throws 5 picks again and you are still only winning by 4-5 points in the 4th quarter in the playoffs you are playing with FIRE.

ANd you know what happens when you play with fire...you get burned. These elite teams, QB's can score on defenses in 30-40 seconds with ease. Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have shown that time and time again.

The difference is that if Matt throws 3-4 picks against any of the above teams its over. If any of those QB's throw 3-4 picks they are still in the game and we are still playing with fire.

Ok so when it comes to the Denver game I think that game has more to do with Franks putting the starting offense in horrible starting positions. When you're back against your own goalline with a lead I can understand being conservative.

My main problem is why we keep trying to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

We waste early downs on OBVIOUS running plays with Turner. And if it's not a running play then it's an almost as equally useless passing play to him. Turner in space? Really? He doesn't have the burst he had 3 years ago and he's not elusive.

If Turner could still give us the tough yards then I could understand why they still want to use him as much but he doesn't even give us that anymore.

Edit: In recap here are my main questions/concerns?

1. Why do we keep going to Turner when it's obvious it limits the offense when he's in?

2. What happened to the 'no-huddle?'

3. Why is Franks still returning punts?

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

You're right every game does not have to be a blowout, but we don't have to make every game interesting either. When we have our foot on someones throat we need to crush the larynx and we haven't been good at that this year. The culprits to that is poor red zone efficiency collaborated with forcing runs up the gut when we are not good at that either.

Fine and good, but you forgot the other team. This week it was a team with a 6 game win streek playing at home, with everything to gain. I am happy to get out with a win. WE DON'T NEED TO GET HOT FOR ANOTHER THREE WEEKS... IT's TOO EARLY...................

Take this weekend's games for example: 10 games were decided by less than a touchdown.

The teams that are keeping games close are doing it because they dont have as much talent as us and are not as explosive us so they are just lucky to squeek by with a win. Look at the good playoff teams like Patriots, Giants, NO, SF and how many times they won by 10+ points and put the game out of reach by in third QT. The games they have kept close are solly based on the fact that they were not able to put them out of reach. WE CHOOSE not to stay agressive and keep the games close.

Fine and good, but you forgot the other team. This week it was a team with a 6 game win streek playing at home, with everything to gain. I am happy to get out with a win. WE DON'T NEED TO GET HOT FOR ANOTHER THREE WEEKS... IT's TOO EARLY...................

I have a feeling our best game at home will be vs the Giants

The teams that are keeping games close are doing it because they dont have as much talent as us and are not as explosive us so they are just lucky to squeek by with a win. Look at the good playoff teams like Patriots, Giants, NO, SF and how many times they won by 10+ points and put the game out of reach by in third QT. The games they have kept close are solly based on the fact that they were not able to put them out of reach. WE CHOOSE not to stay agressive and keep the games close.

5 of our 10 wins have been over a TD........

The teams we are playing don't want us to win big.... They don't want us to win period....

I hope we are saving gas in the tank and plays in the playbook to go deep in the playoffs. This includes "No Huddle"....

There are no quaity points in a win. What did the folks in vegas know. They sure look a lot smarter than some of our posters today.....