Defensive Scheme, It Makes A Difference....

g-dawg

For a handful of plays yesterday, Falcons defensive corners were Robert McClain, Dominque Franks and Chris Owens(nickel). Granted, it was not an entire game but Falcons defense did OK in those situations.

I firmly believe with BVG/Smith running the controls of Falcons defensive scheming - on top of losing Grimes - and you would be looking at probably #30 pass defense or worse.

Give credit where its due. This Falcons defense has a few nice pieces: Abraham, Spoon, Assante and William Moore - that is four "PLUS" players on defense. We have other good role players and Biermann is a nice renaissance man - but Falcons defense is not loaded w/ talent.

Hopefully Assante can get healed up and Dunta can get back for Thursday night. You really don't want to face "Top 5" QBs like Brees, Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Eli without your best corners.

I'm loving seeing Mike Nolan get the absolute MOST results he can out of this defense. It has been a joy.

Guest Negatorris

I still don't think the defense is playing at the level they should be playing at, but they are better than previous years that's for sure. Can't wait til Nolan gets some real pieces.

Nolan needs to be able to bring guys here. our defensive line is not violent & our linebackers are still a little too reactionary. I know it's gonna take a while to get acclimated to a new scheme but Sugar Bear been here a while and our DLine has never really been violent, but they can play the heck outta keeping contain. maybe it's time to get some new blood to lead the trenches... I liked the Lewis hire for the DBs and so far he's been gold. Nolan's known for having very aggressive defenses and it seems like he been scheming to be a finesse defense. the D is playing great but just not at a true Nolan level. I can't wait until he's able to put his whole stamp on the D

We need bigger corners, each year we lose a CB to injury. We keep coming out there with these small guys, they take a pounding as the season progresses. I was watching the 49ers and all of their corners avg 198lbs, while ours avg 180lbs. That's almost 20lbs difference. We need bigger, stronger, and faster corners.

the point of this thread was not to complain about our deficiencies, personnel wise, on defense - clearly we have talent/size deficiencies.

The POINT - was to recognize that Mike Nolan is getting the absolute best that he can get out of the talent he was given.

The POINT - was to recognize that Mike Nolan is getting the absolute best that he can get out of the talent he was given.

I can only agree. How often for example wrote Yasinkas about the BVG defense......He has to call zone schemes, because this corners cannot play man to man. It is the players.

Now Nolan proves, that this was false. You can call man to man. But I think, that is really the limit coachwise. Because the D lacks pass rushers. So I think, that Nolan calls really very well and coaches very well.

And some were saying, that Nolan had a strong beginning by the broncos..it will be the same here. The Bucs game and Cards game should quiet them. Nolan had the McDaniels problem in Denver. In Miami he was calling a good D over a year!

We need bigger corners, each year we lose a CB to injury. We keep coming out there with these small guys, they take a pounding as the season progresses. I was watching the 49ers and all of their corners avg 198lbs, while ours avg 180lbs. That's almost 20lbs difference. We need bigger, stronger, and faster corners.

You can't compare the Niners DB's to ours and how they play as that Niners front 7 is getting pressure every play hence it makes there DB's look better than they are.If we get the Niners and can protect Ryan I believe our WRer's would tear that Niners secondary a new one.

This is why in a way I'm looking foward to this off season lock Nolan and TD in a room TD goes Mike what do you need thats what I'm looking foward to.