13 Carries 17 Yards

Ethos

His play calling was. He is old and slow. When his #33 was played correctly we did well. He even won the game with a TD. I will not and cannot speak truthfully wrong about a man who deserves all of our respect. He broke a record today. Who is talking about that? This guy.

I respect the h*ll out of Turner for what he has done for the Falcons, but Quizz needs to start.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can score when Turner scores, but when he's stuffed in short-yardage or power runs, it's his fault.

Like the play against NO. Turner not scoring the WINNING SCORE cost Atlanta the game. Problem is, the entire thing was bottled up. No one was scoring with the Saints getting their entire push 2 yards into the backfield.

...Turner lost us that NO game, but he doesn't win this game here. rolleyes.gif

Or against Arizona...

And yes, the run call was different. Atlanta has OBVIOUSLY tried to get more runs on the edge the last 2 weeks. DING DING, thus involving Rodgers more. Huh, imagine that.

Runs downhill never happen with this team anymore. And definitely runs up the gut don't happen.

I respect the h*ll out of Turner for what he has done for the Falcons, but Quizz needs to start.

Then there it is.

I might be different but when I truly respect a person I might take shots at but not over and over again.

For some of us out there we need to really rethink wtf is going on.

Its more or less making sure people respect where its due. I want a replacement , but I will fight tooth and nail to make sure people understand what that man did for us.

All you have to say is you respect him.

It's safe to say I respected him. But I hold nothing but disdain for him now. Once he stops putting out a $hitty product out on the field that might very well change.

Anyone can score when Turner scores, but when he's stuffed in short-yardage or power runs, it's his fault.

Like the play against NO. Turner not scoring the WINNING SCORE cost Atlanta the game. Problem is, the entire thing was bottled up. No one was scoring with the Saints getting their entire push 2 yards into the backfield.

...Turner lost us that NO game, but he doesn't win this game here. rolleyes.gif

Or against Arizona...

And yes, the run call was different. Atlanta has OBVIOUSLY tried to get more runs on the edge the last 2 weeks. Runs downhill never happen with this team anymore. And definitely runs up the gut don't happen.

Good post , we all know the guy is going away AFTER the season. That said what is the point in trashing him? I mean Im all about a good joke. Its just the redundancy that gets old.

I am nobody though , it is all my opinion and should be taken as so. I would just like to remind folks who we are trashing after 50yrs of heII we deserve a lot of love for the big guy. Just keep it in check.

It's safe to say I respected him. But I hold nothing but disdain for him now. Once he stops putting out a $hitty product out on the field that might very well change.

To me that is wrong , you should dislike his play and thats it. A lot of you folks and you are the ring leader dont like the person. Its not right. Maybe you are to young to realize our past but he is a major reason we are spoiled right now.

Then there it is.

I might be different but when I truly respect a person I might take shots at but not over and over again.

For some of us out there we need to really rethink wtf is going on.

I'm not the one calling him fat and lazy. I'm the one pointing out his flaws when it comes to being a RB. Since we are discussing football, I feel as though that is allowed. Additionally, since he is the RB for my favourite team, I also feel as though I'm allowed to want a different player to start in his spot whether or not it will happen. From my point of view, it's pretty clear that Turner does not "want it" as badly as Quizz does.

To me that is wrong , you should dislike his play and thats it. A lot of you folks and you are the ring leader dont like the person. Its not right. Maybe you are to young to realize our past but he is a major reason we are spoiled right now.

Not wrong. Past doesn't mean $hit when we haven't even won a playoff game. Spoiled is three SB's in one decade like the Patriots, not consecutive chokejobs. Go Falcons!

Not wrong. Past doesn't mean $hit when we haven't even won a playoff game. Spoiled is three SB's in one decade like the Patriots, not consecutive chokejobs. Go Falcons!

You took his point out of context.

Atlanta had it's best rushing game EVER with Michael Turner here (better than Vick inflated days). At least on the stat line. I'm surprised, since McClure was never a top-notch blocker at the point of attack and 'who else' does Atlanta have as far as road grating OL again?

Also, this era started with Turner did begin and is continuing the best time ever for the Falcons franchise.

I'm not the one calling him fat and lazy. I'm the one pointing out his flaws when it comes to being a RB. Since we are discussing football, I feel as though that is allowed. Additionally, since he is the RB for my favourite team, I also feel as though I'm allowed to want a different player to start in his spot whether or not it will happen. From my point of view, it's pretty clear that Turner does not "want it" as badly as Quizz does.

You know maybe you are just getting the backwash. It still doesn't change the fact people are seriously dissin Turner as a whole. I am old and have a buzz right now so its probably all me. I just feel folks need to respect him. Ive lived through many crappy teams with crappy players. He deserves more then just trash and screams for his head. We need a new back but we are stuck till next year , we are also slaves to our OC. He needs to call plays that work. Today , at least half of ti were working. No more up the gut and more draws and pitches. You know I am right and you know when called correctly we didnt do so bad with the old fat guy.

I am okay with jokes like I said but there comes a time when its to much.

Ironically, he may very well score the SB winning TD.laugh.png

We can still dream, I guess. Or is that not the point of rooting for your team?

He could also play terribly like he has en route to the Falcons going 0-4 in the playoffs.. Rooting for your team goes both ways. There are dreams, as well as nightmares.

Edited by Falcanuck

To me you sound like every cheap commentator looking for hits on his blog. He deserves a lot of credit for our recent wins. Recent as in years. I remember decades of piss poor play , so a guy who has so much good to infuse into our system for 4 years then I recognize. Im not asking for nut hugging , all I ask for is respect where respect is due.

That to me is all a grown man with any sense of integrity can do right?

Joke all you want just know what he was and what he did.

You know maybe you are just getting the backwash. It still doesn't change the fact people are seriously dissin Turner as a whole. I am old and have a buzz right now so its probably all me. I just feel folks need to respect him. Ive lived through many crappy teams with crappy players. He deserves more then just trash and screams for his head. We need a new back but we are stuck till next year , we are also slaves to our OC. He needs to call plays that work. Today , at least half of ti were working. No more up the gut and more draws and pitches. You know I am right and you know when called correctly we didnt do so bad with the old fat guy.

I am okay with jokes like I said but there comes a time when its to much.

I'm not arguing that. But why gameplan and "scheme" with Turner when you can get more out of another back. I'm not disrespecting Turner in any way. Quizz has shown in the past few weeks that he deserves Turner's spot. This does not mean I think Quizz is "the answer", but he (in my opinion) deserves to start.

He could also play terribly like he has in the playoffs en route to the Falcons going 0-4 in the playoffs.. Rooting for your team goes both ways. There are dreams, as well as nightmares.

It's a wonder how Turner ever got all those Falcon rushing records. He's obviously not going Jim Brown on anyone like he used to. blink.png

...I still don't get why people don't just accept the decline of the OL as being real and ignore that fact instead of being so adamant about Turner just being so bad?

I mean. I saw Quizz and Snelling also stuffed today. I also vividly remember this OL; with a hurt Baker(using Svitek), piss poor problem with an ailing McClure and nobody at RG, not give Matt Ryan protection time enough to throw the ball(routes actually develop, instead of relying on max protect and 3 maybe 4 receiving options max all game) AND the Giants blowing up the LOS all game in the playoffs.

How the **** can anyone CONSISTENTLY run the ball in that game in NY last January? HOW?!

Edited by slimjim

Its never not allowed period. It just gets old to see what I perceive to be grown men not understanding how things work with the game they love.

Talk **** all you want. It really bothers me none. Im just being a dik myself.

I still think most the kids around here dont

1) remember before Ryan and Turner

or

2) dont care whatn he has done for the franchise.

I think he deserves a lot of respect.

I'm not arguing that. But why gameplan and "scheme" with Turner when you can get more out of another back. I'm not disrespecting Turner in any way. Quizz has shown in the past few weeks that he deserves Turner's spot. This does not mean I think Quizz is "the answer", but he (in my opinion) deserves to start.

That is my hope. That is what I wish for. I want Quizz to get 20+ carries and have for games. Turner still deserves more respect then folks give him.

Like I said Im all about jokes and making fun. Its the fact that some cant remember why he is famous and here in the first place.

That is my hope. That is what I wish for. I want Quizz to get 20+ carries and have for games. Turner still deserves more respect then folks give him.

Like I said Im all about jokes and making fun. Its the fact that some cant remember why he is famous and here in the first place.

And I'll agree 100% on that. My first Falcon's jersey has #33's name on it. He was my favourite player for a long time, but he is holding the team back.

Aside from the OL decline, I don't know why he has declined in tenacity and overall play myself.

The guy is 30...okay, but Adrian Peterson has more rushing attempts in his career. So, it's not like Turner's mileage has caught up to him. Is he out of shape, not enough drive?

It seems like the big plays that stand out in my memory recently have definitely been on the OL. THAT is what my hang up is.

I realize the game plan today went to getting ALL of our RBs on the edge more.

I also realize Turner HELPS the passing game by being in a typical 'look/formation' that the opposing D wants to try to defend the run and get that stuff, but Atlanta gets a good play-action play instead.

That was the only passing game we had before Julio Jones. Play-action. Run first team.

The OL and RB have declined. It's just, I firmly believe Turner can still be the bulk carrier if the OL would step it up.

If they aren't sharing the blame, is the FB position that much worse off without Ovie?

Why I'm a Turner 'hugger' for believing that and we can't discuss this like in the other threads, IDK.

I'm ALL for sharing the load and changing things up, like with Quizz today. IMO, that was the perfect usage of Quizz.

THE question is this: Can Atlanta continue to run on the edge 20+ times a game if Quizz is the carrier?

Edited by slimjim

its so easy to say that but Smith has a history of not making decisions when they need to be made. He's stubborn as ****. It took Adam Jennings losing us a game before he made the change at PR years ago. Franks is even worse than Jennings. and the guy that took over for Jennings and played much better is still on the roster, Harry Douglas. Giving the ball to Turner almost lost this game and it did lose us the Saints game. nothing positive comes from playing Turner. The coaching staff "knew so much" to go 13-3, only to get destroyed in our first playoff game. U can miss me with that coaching staff knows better ####### when its clear as day that Turner sucks

I still stand by my point.. since Smith took over in 2008, this franchise has been nothing short of success. I firmly believe coaching has much more to do with teams then the actual players.. besides that, Smith's performance here in Atlanta speaks for itself.. Once Smith constructs a disappointing season.. (and yes I am still not 100% happy until we have success in the playoffs) I will then question his effort or his coaching.. Until then he's winning football games and if he thinks Turner is the starter this year then Turner is the man. (would like to see us draft a new RB next yr though)

I still stand by my point.. since Smith took over in 2008, this franchise has been nothing short of success. I firmly believe coaching has much more to do with teams then the actual players.. besides that, Smith's performance here in Atlanta speaks for itself.. Once Smith constructs a disappointing season.. (and yes I am still not 100% happy until we have success in the playoffs) I will then question his effort or his coaching.. Until then he's winning football games and if he thinks Turner is the starter this year then Turner is the man. (would like to see us draft a new RB next yr though)

Agreed on all points.

I sat in the south endzone so i had a really good look at our line and backs. I was slighlty dissapointed in a few of Turners runs, there was one toss where he missed a hole and followed his blockers. Then there was another run where he should have just went straight instead of trying to spin out of a tackle. Saying that he was still effective in other runs. Our line still isnt blocking great and id much rather have Quizz running tosses and stretch runs.

The one thing that concerns me is that while Quizz was better running outside, teams will gameplan for him from here on out. I also saw Rogers get hit behind our line and Im worried that teams will be waiting on him.

We're growing our 1-2 punch in the backfield.

I sat in the south endzone so i had a really good look at our line and backs. I was slighlty dissapointed in a few of Turners runs, there was one toss where he missed a hole and followed his blockers. Then there was another run where he should have just went straight instead of trying to spin out of a tackle. Saying that he was still effective in other runs. Our line still isnt blocking great and id much rather have Quizz running tosses and stretch runs.

The one thing that concerns me is that while Quizz was better running outside, teams will gameplan for him from here on out. I also saw Rogers get hit behind our line and Im worried that teams will be waiting on him.

We're growing our 1-2 punch in the backfield.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Great post.

It's the entire point. Atlanta unveiled a new scheme of getting a rushing game established on the edge.

It will be HARDER and harder...to do that consistently depending on the opponent. They at least have time to scout the look now(formation, personnel package, play development itself for their players to defend the edge better)...

...but if it and the screen passing game got good enough, it would help the short-yardage situations have more flexibility as far as execution potential compared to the poor 3rd and 3(shorter) situations where runs straight ahead have hurt so much.