Great Win.....having Said That, Felt Like Our Playcalling Kept Tampa In The Game

g-dawg

That was a very mediocre NFL running day - but by Falcons accounts this season, it was all-world. Quizz definitely looks good and Turner had a few "OK" runs - but still think 90% of the time, a Turner handoff is a wasted play.

Jimmy Johnson said at halftime, he's confused by Falcons playcalling. I am as well. To me, with Falcons up 17-13, it looked like Falcons were sitting on a lead with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

It just seems when Falcons are playing with a lead in 2nd half, they let the air out of the football. Some possessions, Falcons just need to go out and throw it 5 times in a row - when they do that - especially against a pass defense like the Sucs, they were successful. Its almost like Mike Smith does not want to win by double digits. Perplexes me - was it Koetter or Smith, I don't know but it seemed Falcons were stubborn with the run at all times.

Falcons should have won that game 31-17, something like that - should have never been that close as we were clearly the better team today.

I know 1/2 of you will just say "shut up, Falcons won" - believe me, 10-1 is a great place to be - but Falcons should be "Packers South" and we are not - Falcons COULD BE a dominant team but I don't think Mike Smith will let them.

I could give you a long dissertation as to why it's not a good idea to pass on every play, but I think I'll just choose to be in the half of the people that say Shut up, the Falcons won.

i don't think we should pass the ball - the whole game......but i also think that when you are up 4 points, its OK to come out and try to score another TD in the 2nd half before your opponent takes back the lead.

Falcons held Doug Martin in check all day and did not give huge plays - a road win against a good team is a good thing - but we help our opponents some times.

I feel this game was more of a "show the league we can run it" game, and in the first half we were doing just that. The Falcons used a lot of new looks in the running game today that the Saints will have to spend some of their precious little time gameplanning against. I think Smitty should have passed more in the second half as well, but that didn't seem like the plan today.

i don't think we should pass the ball - the whole game......but i also think that when you are up 4 points, its OK to come out and try to score another TD in the 2nd half before your opponent takes back the lead.

I hear ya, but the play selection on the drive you are talking about was pass, run, pass. Sometimes the other team just stops you.

That was a very mediocre NFL running day - but by Falcons accounts this season, it was all-world. Quizz definitely looks good and Turner had a few "OK" runs - but still think 90% of the time, a Turner handoff is a wasted play.

Jimmy Johnson said at halftime, he's confused by Falcons playcalling. I am as well. To me, with Falcons up 17-13, it looked like Falcons were sitting on a lead with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

It just seems when Falcons are playing with a lead in 2nd half, they let the air out of the football. Some possessions, Falcons just need to go out and throw it 5 times in a row - when they do that - especially against a pass defense like the Sucs, they were successful. Its almost like Mike Smith does not want to win by double digits. Perplexes me - was it Koetter or Smith, I don't know but it seemed Falcons were stubborn with the run at all times.

Falcons should have won that game 31-17, something like that - should have never been that close as we were clearly the better team today.

I know 1/2 of you will just say "shut up, Falcons won" - believe me, 10-1 is a great place to be - but Falcons should be "Packers South" and we are not - Falcons COULD BE a dominant team but I don't think Mike Smith will let them.

Once again to the morons who seem to live in a world where everything is black or white, we are all happy we won, we are all ecstatic to be 10-1, but if you don't have concerns about the inability of this team to play a complete game, you need to quit huffing gas. This team can't keep playing this close every game and expect to make a run in the playoffs. We have to start dominating teams every now and then.

Which conservative call was the worst. The one where we passed for a 3rd down conversion in the final two minutes or the one where we tried if long FG in the final minute.

If that was conservative, I'd hate to see us when we are aggressive. Personally, I liked the first call and hated the 2nd one. I would have ran some kind of sweep on 4th down and tell the RB to run it as long and wide as he can and then sit down prior to going out of bounds. No way I'm allowing an attempt to block a kick in that situation. We would have lost less than 7 yard on such a play leaving the Bucs with a longer field.

Which conservative call was the worst. The one where we passed for a 3rd down conversion in the final two minutes or the one where we tried if long FG in the final minute.

If that was conservative, I'd hate to see us when we are aggressive. Personally, I liked the first call and hated the 2nd one. I would have ran some some of sweep on 3rd down and tell the RB to run it as long and wide as he can and then sit down prior to going out of bounds. No way I'm allowing an attempt to block a kick in that situation. We would have lost less than 7 yard on such a play leaving the Bucs with a longer field.

I'm not speaking about either of those plays of which you reference above. Specifically, I'm referrring to the 3rd quarter on the possession after Julio scored and a few other possessions thereafter - when we were stubborn w/ the run to our detriment.

I agree we have to run every game - but sometimes you just have to have a feel for when its a waste...

Once again to the morons who seem to live in a world where everything is black or white, we are all happy we won, we are all ecstatic to be 10-1, but if you don't have concerns about the inability of this team to play a complete game, you need to quit huffing gas. This team can't keep playing this close every game and expect to make a run in the playoffs. We have to start dominating teams every now and then.

Wahhhhh I get no joy out of nothing wahhhhhhhhhhh

Sad life it must be bro. I'm out to actually have fun in life and enjoy my team winning, you keep sitting there and crying. I guess living glass half empty in life works for you. Have fun!

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold on there....easy now.

Let's get this straight! WE ARE NOT nor SHOULD BE <insert media darling> South! What kind of fan are you if all you're going to do is compare us and hope we fashion after any other team? No Champion ever goes in saying "Hey, if I can be the next <insert media darling>, I can win a championship too." Mocking others doesn't get championships but playing your game and making your opponent follow your tempo, get's it done. WE ARE FALCONS....10-1 on the way to 18-1....period...

Wahhhhh I get no joy out of nothing wahhhhhhhhhhh

Sad life it must be bro. I'm out to actually have fun in life and enjoy my team winning, you keep sitting there and crying. I guess living glass half empty in life works for you. Have fun!

yeah, you seem like a real 'fun' guy....good times.

I'm not speaking about either of those plays of which you reference above. Specifically, I'm referrring to the 3rd quarter on the possession after Julio scored and a few other possessions thereafter - when we were stubborn w/ the run to our detriment.

I agree we have to run every game - but sometimes you just have to have a feel for when its a waste...

That is kinda my point. You say we were stubborn with the run on one series. I say we passed in situations where we haven't in the past. I think that is a sign that the play calling was fairly balanced throughout the game.

Were you expecting the Falcons to win this game?

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold on there....easy now.

Let's get this straight! WE ARE NOT nor SHOULD BE <insert media darling> South! What kind of fan are you if all you're going to do is compare us and hope we fashion after any other team? No Champion ever goes in saying "Hey, if I can be the next <insert media darling>, I can win a championship too." Mocking others doesn't get championships but playing your game and making your opponent follow your tempo, get's it done. WE ARE FALCONS....10-1 on the way to 18-1....period...

great analysis

Falcons held Doug Martin in check all day and did not give huge plays - a road win against a good team is a good thing - but we help our opponents some times.

You're right

Were a better team than they are and it should have been 31 to 17 or more. Until we develop a killer instinct, we might as well get used to close games. ( look at NE they never take their foot off the gas pedal) With that said, I believe Turner will have to be replaced, he is way to slow hitting the hole. I saw several holes open up, but by the time Turner got there it was closed.