Got A Question

J-RoC770

I just recently follow college football this year week to week, usually I just watch the bowl games but how come Notre Dame is automatically in the BCS game? While Alabama and UGA gotta duke it out in the SEC championship? Does ND not have a division game at the end of their season?

What makes them independent? Are they the only team that's independent?

There are a few others, independent as in not associated with a NCAA conference. This means that they do not have to play a game to determine conference champion so they will stay #1 in the polls no matter what happens.

Does ND not have a division game at the end of their season?

They do not have to play in a conference championship because they do not belong to a conference. They are independent.

They kind of "joined" the ACC recently... kind of. Starting next year, most of their sports will, indeed, be a part of the ACC. The football team will not, however, they will play a lot of ACC teams. The football team will still be technically independent though.

It's weird, but that's college football.

There are a few others, independent as in not associated with a NCAA conference. This means that they do not have to play a game to determine conference champion so they will stay #1 in the polls no matter what happens.

Well that's just dumb, that just means they have an advantage to the BCS game since they are ranked #1 and other teams gotta play another extra game just to be the #2 team?

Notre Dame hasn't been in a conference historically because they didn't have to be. Because of a lot of ancient history, they have always been guaranteed TV time and favoritism in the human polls, and they haven't had to share TV revenues because of it. However, my understanding is that they will be joining the ACC for football and/or other sports in a few years.

Well that's just dumb, that just means they have an advantage to the BCS game since they are ranked #1 and other teams gotta play another extra game just to be the #2 team?

well, yes and no, this year they sort of have an advantage because they are ranked #1 and do not have to play a championship game like Alabama & UGA but on the other hand, as an independent team it can be harder for them to get invited to bowl games; though this is typically offset by the fact that ND is one of the most prestigious football schools in the country.

Also, that "extra" game is going to happen wether or not UGA & BAMA are 2 & 3. If they were ranked 20ths and 30th they would still have to play the SEC Championship game, this year it will just determine who will go to the big one.

Edited by Aftermath

no conference at all, they are just kind of in NCAA limbo.

For further reading. http://en.wikipedia....pendent_schools

Yep. You'll notice that one of the major reasons for joining a conference is for TV money. Notre Dame has had the good fortune of being able to remain independent while at the same time bringing in tons of TV money. Despite their lack of success over the last 10 years or so, they are still a "brand". They negotiate their own TV contracts with the networks.

I think it's BS. I'm glad there's gonna be playoffs soon.

Yeah, it's BS. But as I said in an earlier post, college football is weird. I'm also glad that playoffs are finally going to happen. I hope they expand it to an 8 team format at some point. They probably will once they realize the TV money that can be made.

Yeah, it's BS. But as I said in an earlier post, college football is weird. I'm also glad that playoffs are finally going to happen. I hope they expand it to an 8 team format at some point. They probably will once they realize the TV money that can be made.

But the top 8 was still be based on computers, polls, etc? Not winners of the conference right?

I think 8 team playoff works best for NCAA. Keep the current format. Win your division and play for the conference championship. The winner of each conference goes into a bracket 1-8 like any other sport 1 vs 8 and so on until there is 1 National Champion. There are 12 conferences in D1 so instill a 10 wins gets you in the playoffs rule. Have your ranking #1 thru 8 is based of the voters, coaches, and AP polls. This will make college more interesting, build fanbases, create new rivalry and make more money (which is the main goal).