I Love The Falcons.... But Let's Be Real

I want to state that I am a die hard fan and am extremely excited about the teams progress over the past couple seasons. Not to mention that they are a currently sitting atop the NFC and holding on to home field advantage going into the last 6 games.

So before all the hate starts being spryaed I just wanted to state that.

But it's time to be real. The team is still one that can be labeled as "soft". This goes for both sides of the ball. The offensive line can't hold their own against more physical D lines. I.E. The Carolina, Oakland, NO, and Dallas games. And the defensive line is consistantly blown off the line by average offensive lines. I.E. The Oakland, Arizona, and Washington games.

In the close games (CAR, OAK, ARZ, DEN, and DAL) Ryan has saved this teams @$$. Which gives me both great hope and makes me cringe at the fact that if he's not on his "A Game" this team won't be succesful in the playoffs again.

As it sets up right now this may be the toughest NFC playoff bracket we've seen in a long time.

1 Atlanta 9 1 0 .900 1-1-0 5-1-0 .382 .370 NFC South Champ 2 San Francisco 7 2 1 .750 2-0-1 5-2-1 .505 .500 NFC West Champ 3 Green Bay 7 3 0 .700 2-0-0 5-2-0 .529 .479 NFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Chicago based on head-to-head win percentage.) 4 NY Giants 6 4 0 .600 2-2-0 5-2-0 .451 .444 NFC East Champ 5 Chicago 7 3 0 .700 1-1-0 4-2-0 .485 .354 6 Seattle 6 4 0 .600 0-3-0 4-4-0 .490 .508

Wins tie break over Tampa Bay based on best win percentage in conference games. Wins tie break over Minnesota based on head-to-head sweep.

Two of these teams completely embaressed the Falcons in the playoffs already and the other 3 all have top 5 overall defenses and built to play keep away with powerful run games. The Falcons will already be at a disadvantage scheme wise against these teams, and the only advantage they will have is the home field which we've seen fail them before.

I still don't completely trust Smith in big games nor do I have any reasone to believe that the Falcons can stop or run the ball when it counts most.

Don't get me wrong... there is very little that would make me happier to see them prove me wrong(not that my opinion holds any weight or needs to validated by them). But this team needs to seriously prove that they can stand up and get/stop teams from getting the hard yards when it counts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to state that I am a die hard fan and am extremely excited about the teams progress over the past couple seasons. Not to mention that they are a currently sitting atop the NFC and holding on to home field advantage going into the last 6 games.

But it's time to be real. The team is still one that can be labeled as "soft". This goes for both sides of the ball. The offensive line can't hold their own against more physical D lines. I.E. The Carolina, Oakland, NO, and Dallas games. And the defensive line is consistantly blown off the line by average offensive lines. I.E. The Oakland, Arizona, and Washington games.

In the close games (CAR, OAK, ARZ, DEN, and DAL) Ryan has saved this teams @$$. Which gives me both great hope and makes me cringe at the fact that if he's not on his "A Game" this team won't be succesful in the playoffs again.

As it sets up right now this may be the toughest NFC playoff bracket we've seen in a long time.

1 Atlanta 9 1 0 .900 1-1-0 5-1-0 .382 .370 NFC South Champ 2 San Francisco 7 2 1 .750 2-0-1 5-2-1 .505 .500 NFC West Champ 3 Green Bay 7 3 0 .700 2-0-0 5-2-0 .529 .479 NFC North Champ (Wins tie break over Chicago based on head-to-head win percentage.) 4 NY Giants 6 4 0 .600 2-2-0 5-2-0 .451 .444 NFC East Champ 5 Chicago 7 3 0 .700 1-1-0 4-2-0 .485 .354 6 Seattle 6 4 0 .600 0-3-0 4-4-0 .490 .508

Wins tie break over Tampa Bay based on best win percentage in conference games. Wins tie break over Minnesota based on head-to-head sweep.

Two of these teams completely embaressed the Falcons in the playoffs already and the other 3 all have top 5 overall defenses and built to play keep away with powerful run games. The Falcons will already be at a disadvantage scheme wise against these teams, and the only advantage they will have is the home field which we've seen fail them before.

I still don't completely trust Smith in big games nor do I have any reasone to believe that the Falcons can stop or run the ball when it counts most.

Don't get me wrong... there is very little that would make me happier to see them prove me wrong(not that my opinion holds any weight or needs to validated by them). But this team needs to seriously prove that they can stand up and get/stop teams from getting the hard yards when it counts.

+20 my dude.

When you go to a Home Game, do you want to see your team

Win or Lose the game.

My point is that is where it starts.

A team that consistantly has winning seasons.

Cakes require Icing and a Cherry on top.

A pan of Brownies are good just the way they are.

So this year we conclude the season with Brownies or Cake.

Stop yer Bicthin.

Winning a championship isn't suppose to be easy. There isn't a team in this league that I'm scared of us playing. As much as some posters want to downplay our current record this is a good team. So many want to say the Texans are the most complete team yet they have went to overtime two weeks in a row against teams with 5 wins combined. I'm not saying the Texans aren't good......but they too are flawed.

Nothing in this league is a given.......but I like our chances.

Winning a championship isn't suppose to be easy. There isn't a team in this league that I'm scared of us playing. As much as some posters want to downplay our current record this is a good team. So many want to say the Texans are the most complete team yet they have went to overtime two weeks in a row against teams with 5 wins combined. I'm not saying the Texans aren't good......but they too are flawed.

Nothing in this league is a given.......but I like our chances.

Love ur optimism, but I've been dreading this sunday for weeks, could I get a hug?wink.png

Edited by vabchbirdlover

I agree with most of what you posted but disagree with certain aspects of it. Soft is not the proper term. Soft teams crumble when they face adversity. We don't. We do have trouble in short yardage on offense, but our defense has made plays in short yardage.

We are a different team with Julio, Spoon, and Asante healthy. Injuries are part of the game and you are what your record says you are. We are 9-1, so that says we are a very good team.

Arizona gave the Pats everything they could handle and more. These are not college teams we are playing. They are NFL teams bringing their best every week. Oakland came out with a completely different personnel and scheme package that took us a while to adapt to.

All I am saying is that we do have a great team and we've won some big games this year. Washington in Washington was a bigger win than we get credit for. They are good. Denver at home was huge. SD in SD was a dominant win. Beating Dallas was big for us. Beating Philly in Philly was bigger than people realize. That Philly team beat Balt and NYG at home this season. These are all big games that we came out on top this season. A lot of those teams were also desperate for a win and gave us their best shot. Dallas and Washington would both have winning records if we didn't beat them and they will probably end up with winning records when the season is done.

One other note I think we as fans should really learn to appreciate. What Falcon team has ever been able to overcome injuries and remain competitive like the one we have now? These are HUGE impact players missing games. Grimes out for the season. We keep winning. Spoon misses games. We keep winning. Samuel misses time during a game and our defense still steps up in his absence. Julio misses time and when he is playing, you can tell he's not 100%. Our offense still puts up 20+. Turner has taken an enormous step back and has been playing injured. We keep winning.

Overall, I think this is the best Falcon team we've ever had. The 98 team had 1 distraction to a defensive player and the defense crumbled in the Superbowl. They lose 1 RB and our entire offense crumbled the next year. Think about what this team has worked through to get to 9-1 and tell me 1 other Falcon team that could deal with this many problems to this many marquee players.

One other note I think we as fans should really learn to appreciate. What Falcon team has ever been able to overcome injuries and remain competitive like the one we have now? These are HUGE impact players missing games. Grimes out for the season. We keep winning. Spoon misses games. We keep winning. Samuel misses time during a game and our defense still steps up in his absence. Julio misses time and when he is playing, you can tell he's not 100%. Our offense still puts up 20+. Turner has taken an enormous step back and has been playing injured. We keep winning.

Overall, I think this is the best Falcon team we've ever had. The 98 team had 1 distraction to a defensive player and the defense crumbled in the Superbowl. They lose 1 RB and our entire offense crumbled the next year. Think about what this team has worked through to get to 9-1 and tell me 1 other Falcon team that could deal with this many problems to this many marquee players.

I think this is an excellent point. This team has overcome serious injuries on the defensive side.

here's a possible playoff seeding:

1) ATL

2) SF

3) GB

4) NYG

5) CHI

6) TB

GB and CHI win.

2nd rd matchups:

ATL hosts CHI, Birds win

SF hosts GB, 9ers win

ATL hosts SF.

None of the above would be shocking, and yet it would mean the Falcons wouldn't face either the Packers or the Giants. I'd take the Falcons at home against Cutler and Smith (or Kaepernick).

Getting the #1 seed and HFA is the key.

Love ur optimism, but I've been dreading this sunday for weeks, could I get a hug?wink.png

Wy dread this game? We haven't locked anything up but we are ahead of the pack by 1.5 games.

I think this game is a great test for our team.

I totally get where some of you are coming from. You're scared to love because you've been hurt before. I get that. I like where we're at as a team tough. Would I like another pass rusher? Sure. But I believe in Nolan. Do I worry about our run game? Sure. But I believe in Ryan.

We are a good coached team with a solid roster. I like our chances.

Wy dread this game? We haven't locked anything up but we are ahead of the pack by 1.5 games.

I think this game is a great test for our team.

I totally get where some of you are coming from. You're scared to love because you've been hurt before. I get that. I like where we're at as a team tough. Would I like another pass rusher? Sure. But I believe in Nolan. Do I worry about our run game? Sure. But I believe in Ryan.

We are a good coached team with a solid roster. I like our chances.

Away game against the SECOND BEST TEAM in the NFCS, young and improving QB, DM against our porous run D, our current inability to run the ball, and now we face team that defensiveily thrives in stopping the run. The only bright spot for me is Spoon is back to help us in that area and the god awful Buc pass defense

Edited by vabchbirdlover