Our 'tough' Schedule

egoprime II

I am all for showing respect for other teams. I acknowledge our Falcons' weaknesses and deficiencies, mainly our O line and run defense. However in our rush to emphasize the Falcon's weaknesses, it seems the many strengths of our team get short changed not only by some of the media but many fans here. I see a lot of 'this is what the other team can do to us' talk. Let me show you another way to look at our Falcons.

The Falcons have had a winning record for five straight seasons, despite having only two top ten picks on the team (Ryan and Julio).

Four of the past five seasons (assuming this one), our Falcons have made or will make the playoffs.

The Falcons started this season with 8 straight wins. The Saints won game nine because they played thier best game of the season, at home. It took everything NO had to win...by a big four points. The Falcons did not play thier best game, and still had a chance to win in the end. My thinking is that the Saints simply felt the need to win this game more than the Falcons did, with the added mortivation of ending the Falcons' unbeaten season. Yet Ryan and company still gave NO all they could handle.

Our Falcons could have easily lost this last week with all the turnovers. Our players are persistent, with the never say die attitude a team needs to win close games.

Above all coach Smith has this team ready to play every week. His record in our tough division is very underappreciated. Against the supposedly superior AFC, Smitty is 16-4. Mike Smith is easily one of the three best HC's in the NFL.

And the Falcons have yet to play thier best game. It is still to come.

THIS and more is what opponents and knowledgable fans see when they look at Atlanta on thier schedule. A tough team that is no easy win like the old days and is more than likely a loss for thier team. So keep in mind, next time you look at our upcoming schedule. Yeah we have to play some good teams....but THEY also have to play US.

Would you want your teams' schedule to have the Falcons on it?

I am all for showing respect for other teams. I acknowledge our Falcons' weaknesses and deficiencies, mainly our O line and run defense. However in our rush to emphasize the Falcon's weaknesses, it seems the many strengths of our team get short changed not only by some of the media but many fans here. I see a lot of 'this is what the other team can do to us' talk. Let me show you another way to look at our Falcons.

The Falcons have had a winning record for five straight seasons, despite having only two top ten picks on the team (Ryan and Julio).

Four of the past five seasons (assuming this one), our Falcons have made or will make the playoffs.

The Falcons started this season with 8 straight wins. The Saints won game nine because they played thier best game of the season, at home. It took everything NO had to win...by a big four points. The Falcons did not play thier best game, and still had a chance to win in the end. My thinking is that the Saints simply felt the need to win this game more than the Falcons did, with the added mortivation of ending the Falcons' unbeaten season. Yet Ryan and company still gave NO all they could handle.

Our Falcons could have easily lost this last week with all the turnovers. Our players are persistent, with the never say die attitude a team needs to win close games.

Above all coach Smith has this team ready to play every week. His record in our tough division is very underappreciated. Against the supposedly superior AFC, Smitty is 16-4. Mike Smith is easily one of the three best HC's in the NFL.

And the Falcons have yet to play thier best game. It is still to come.

THIS and more is what opponents and knowledgable fans see when they look at Atlanta on thier schedule. A tough team that is no easy win like the old days and is more than likely a loss for thier team. So keep in mind, next time you look at our upcoming schedule. Yeah we have to play some good teams....but THEY also have to play US.

Would you want your teams' schedule to have the Falcons on it?

The Falcons have no run game. As a result, a good QB has to be almost perfect behind a questionable O-line. The Head Coach (who deserves his props), has worked magic with mirrors thus far. How long will it last??? Only time will tell...

The Falcons have no run game. As a result, a good QB has to be almost perfect behind a questionable O-line. The Head Coach (who deserves his props), has worked magic with mirrors thus far. How long will it last??? Only time will tell...

Time will tell Sunday.

Time will tell Sunday how far Freeman has come.

Time will tell if Schiano's angry treat grown men like crap style really works.

Time will tell.

Time will tell Sunday.

Time will tell Sunday how far Freeman has come.

Time will tell if Schiano's angry treat grown men like crap style really works.

Time will tell.

Time will tell if you have enough meat on your O-line...

Time will tell if you have enough meat on your D-line...

Time will tell if you can pass all day without a run game...

Time will tell if you can STOP a competent run game...

Time will tell if Matty can pass +45 times WITHOUT an interception IN TAMPA...

Time will tell if your CB's can hold up to superior receivers...

Time will tell if you can compensate for the aggressive tweaks we now have on Special Teams (and I'm NOT talking Victory Formations either)...

Yes, TIME WILL TELL....

This is a bold face lie.

Belichik (if spelled wrong you know who I mean) and McCarthy might be better. Tomlin and Coughlin went to strong organisations where all they had to do was not mess things up. Harbaugh in San Fran, its only his second season.

The facts are what they are. Judging Mike Smith according to the situation he inherited and the results he has gotten, Smitty is right up there. The facts support what I say.

What facts do you have to support what YOU say?

I don't know where Mike Smith ranks, but I do think he is a GREAT Head Football coach. I think he is better at what he does than TD is at what he does, although I do think TD is a very good GM.

Head Coaches don't win playoff games. I know they get judged for them, but it's just not reality. It's the QBs.

Matt Ryan is awesome, best QB the Falcons ever had by a million miles, but he is the one who needs to step up. The HC can't do it. He is on the sidelines.

We are a tough draw...period! 9-1 is who we are this week. Shoulda coulda woulda losses happen to every team (see Houston the past two games). Winners win and yes luck sometimes plays a part, but if I had another team, I would not be happy to see the Falcons on the other sideline...much the same way people get worried about other teams

Belichik (if spelled wrong you know who I mean) and McCarthy might be better. Tomlin and Coughlin went to strong organisations where all they had to do was not mess things up. Harbaugh in San Fran, its only his second season.

The facts are what they are. Judging Mike Smith according to the situation he inherited and the results he has gotten, Smitty is right up there. The facts support what I say.

0-3

I don't know where Mike Smith ranks, but I do think he is a GREAT Head Football coach. I think he is better at what he does than TD is at what he does, although I do think TD is a very good GM.

Head Coaches don't win playoff games. I know they get judged for them, but it's just not reality. It's the QBs.

Matt Ryan is awesome, best QB the Falcons ever had by a million miles, but he is the one who needs to step up. The HC can't do it. He is on the sidelines.

I disagree, a HC has a great deal to do with how a team performs in the playoffs. Even more so than the QB.

Not long ago with a lot of the same players our run game was one of the best in the NFL. Here is why we have issues running the ball:

The emphasis has gone from clock eating running the ball and keeping our D off the field, to passing the ball in order to score a lot of points and make the other team try to keep up. With our skill position guys that is hard for most teams to do.

Our offense passes more than it runs so that is what our D practices against most the time, plus our D runs far more passing defense plays to stop the pass. This new philosophy is why TD was willing to let Lofton walk. It is also why our D is not at its best when defending against the run.

Add in the new CBA rules restricting practices and there you have part of the reason for our running game and run D looking not so great.

If Koetter ran the ball more and if we played with three starting LBs instead of two and practiced it more, both our running game and run D would improve. Both are still there, they simply have to be used more in practices and in games.

0-3

Coach Smiths career is just getting started. Many of the best NFL coaches had several losing seasons to start out, seasons where thier teams did not even make the playoffs, before they took thier teams to championships. Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson are some examples.

Coach Belichik was fired in Cleveland before landing the NE job. Tom Coughlin, fired in Jacksonville. Tony Dungy, fired in Tampa Bay. They did and have done OK with thier new teams.

Thank goodness Blank will not be firing Smitty anytime soon, he has more sense than that.

I disagree, a HC has a great deal to do with how a team performs in the playoffs. Even more so than the QB.

Well I really wish Mike Smith hadn't told all those defensive players to miss all those clean shots on Rodgers in the playoffs, and I especially wish he would have not told Matt Ryan to throw those two ridiculous INTs to Tramon Williams.

We are a tough draw...period! 9-1 is who we are this week. Shoulda coulda woulda losses happen to every team (see Houston the past two games). Winners win and yes luck sometimes plays a part, but if I had another team, I would not be happy to see the Falcons on the other sideline...much the same way people get worried about other teams

True dat. Every team gets a loss sooner or later. Way I look at it, our Falcons lost to a team with one of the best qbs in the game today in Drew Brees. How many teams have a Drew Brees at QB?

Ummm ... optimism around here is treated like the plague.

If you would of titled this " Why Vick is better then Ryan " I bet you would have 150 responses by now.

Good post though, keep it up.

Not concerned here with response count because most responses are not worth responding to. Or even looking at.

Yours is. Thanks for the props. :)

Time will tell if you have enough meat on your O-line...

Time will tell if you have enough meat on your D-line...

Time will tell if you can pass all day without a run game...

Time will tell if you can STOP a competent run game...

Time will tell if Matty can pass +45 times WITHOUT an interception IN TAMPA...

Time will tell if your CB's can hold up to superior receivers...

Time will tell if you can compensate for the aggressive tweaks we now have on Special Teams (and I'm NOT talking Victory Formations either)...

Yes, TIME WILL TELL....:

One difference between Bucs fans and Falcons fans: Falcons fans do not need to trashtalk before games. Our team does its thing and racks up wins far more than it loses.

Belicheck, Sean Payton (inactive), and McCarthy are all better coaches than Mike Smith. Guess what they all have in common? Jim Harbaugh has already surpassed Mike Smith as a HC in the time period of one year. Harbaugh has built a contender while Smitty has built a pretender.

Belicheck, Sean Payton (inactive), and McCarthy are all better coaches than Mike Smith. Guess what they all have in common? Jim Harbaugh has already surpassed Mike Smith as a HC in the time period of one year. Harbaugh has built a contender while Smitty has built a pretender.

You and I have differing opinions, and thats ok. If we all thought alike these message boards would be -very- boring.

The pot calling the kettle black. First off, Harbaugh hasn't built crap, Nolan put together more of that team then he has. He has certainly got them playing well but Mike Smith came into a **** of alot worse situation..pot. This coming from a guy who puts out fake X-rays if Matt Ryan's hand and calls himself a legit fan. In the words of GnR, why dont you just **** off.