Story About Falcons Practice Squad Linebacker In Nytimes

AnonFalcFan

This is a pretty interesting article about Pat Schiller, a rookie undrafted free agent from Northern Illinois. Whereas "Hard Knocks" provides more of a general overview of how a team operates, this piece provides more depth about one player's obstacles to living his dream of being an NFL player.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magazine/the-hard-life-of-an-nfl-long-shot.html

Whew .. got to page 6.

I will finish reading this later when I am in bed. Its a pretty good read. I love this.

“O.K., don’t laugh,” he said. “But when I’m listening to this, I imagine myself running through a primeval forest somewhere with just a loincloth on and a huge hunting knife in my mouth. I’m really looking to kill something.”

9sASo.jpg

D-BLOCK!

It's a little long, but that's the trade-off I'll take for the amazing amount of depth in this article. It's hard to tell a story in a page or two.

Yea , I HAD to come back and finish. The wife called and broke it up the first time. I really like what I read.

Even if I make it,” he said, “the average career is what, three or four years tops. But if I get hurt now, I’m gone. It’s nothing personal. If I’m injured, I’m dead weight. I’m stealing their money. Do you know how many linebackers there are sitting home right now that want my job? Hundreds. I mean, let’s get real. As much as Coach Smith or Coach Pires might like me, it would be: ‘Hey, it’s been a fun ride. You’re a good kid. But see ya, Schiller!’ ”

Wise young man. I really hope Schiller works out. I feel like I know him.

Man that was an awesome story. Thanks for posting it for us to share. I got totally into it, and just loved getting some insight into the lifestyles of these guys. Man I know it is tough in the NFL, but you really have no idea until you read an article that can delve that deeply into the challenges a player faces trying to play in the NFL.

It really puts a personal face on a game that has no mercy on the people who play it.

Man that was an awesome story. Thanks for posting it for us to share. I got totally into it, and just loved getting some insight into the lifestyles of these guys. Man I know it is tough in the NFL, but you really have no idea until you read an article that can delve that deeply into the challenges a player faces trying to play in the NFL.

It really puts a personal face on a game that has no mercy on the people who play it.

Exactly!

To all Falcon fans , you need to read this. That is the faceless , nameless , voiceless , kid in the back of D-Block. Such a cool story.

LOL @ complaining about length. It's obvious who doesn't read books in this thread. It's the length that makes it a good story because it paints a picture the entire time. That's the point.

Lol yer after reading ASoIaF there are descriptions of food longer than that.

LOL @ complaining about length. It's obvious who doesn't read books in this thread. It's the length that makes it a good story because it paints a picture the entire time. That's the point.

The length and the detail really is what makes it. It could have been simply one of this ten question and answer interviews and it would have 'sucked' as the one poster stated.

His uncle SUCKS as a reporter. Is this an article or a movie script. Longest interview ever.

Brevity is not always- in fact, it is rarely- a sign of significant insight. If I was writing about a nephew I cared about-I'd want to man up and put some blood down. It just may take a few pages.

Tired of the "preteen" girl text shorthand that passes for thought and analysis these days.

Props to the writer.

Brevity is not always- in fact, it is rarely- a sign of significant insight. If I was writing about a nephew I cared about-I'd want to man up and put some blood down. It just may take a few pages.

Tired of the "preteen" girl text shorthand that passes for thought and analysis these days.

Props to the writer.

How about some irony.

LMAO 2Cool Bro! lol