Mock 11.20

vel

I wanted to do one with a 3-4 twist to it:

FA:

I still believe Reggie Bush would be a great signing. He is very versatile and dangerous every time the ball is in his hands. I would put Chris Ivory here, but he's a RFA and could be kept for very cheap with a tender, even though the Saints are in cap heIl right now.

1. Jonathan Jenkins, NT, UGA

Big monster in the middle. Of course we'd need that to make it work. But Jenkins has a high ceiling as he's pretty athletic. Very stout in the middle and can only be moved with a double team. Would make the transition seamless and give us a true 0-tech.

2. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

If you haven't watched any film on Jones, I suggest you do so and soon. This kid is going to be good. He is very difficult to contain for a full 60 minutes. He is a penetrating 5-tech with very good speed, can anchor and can win 1v1. He requires a double team more often than not out there on the west coast. Watching Anthony Barr highlights made him jump out to me and spark this mock. He looks like JJ Watt out there at times. Watch some film on him and then picture Jenkins and Jones on the same DLine. Could be really scary.

3. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

Very good guard on Miss St. OLine. Big mover. Here is what Tony Pauline had to say about him recently:

Jackson is a massive lineman who has taken his game to another level this season. He possesses terrific power and easily controls defenders at the point of attack. At the same time Jackson easily moves his 320-pound frame around the field and flashes skill-blocking in motion. He's a third-round prospect with great upside and word is the junior is headed to the draft at the end of the season.

Gives us some more beef on the inside.

4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, MSU

Here's my faller of the draft. There will be no first round back. I don't see anybody truly worthy right now. The avg number of RBs taken in the draft is 19. That's 2.7 per round. With none going in the first, that leaves 9 going in the 2nd-4th range. I have Bell falling due to faster or more accomplished runners going ahead of him. I think he runs an average 40-time for his size, slightly deflating his stock. Having cut Turner and adding Bush, we have a very good stable of backs with Bush, Bell, Rodgers and Snelling. May have to move up in the round to get him, but I won't be surprised if he is available in the fourth round.

4 (Comp). Dion Sims, TE, MSU

Double dip Michigan State. Dion Sims is a big TE with good athletic ability. A little overweight in my opinion, but he is a really good blocker due to that size and is still a valuable WR. Won't stretch the field or be what Tony was here, but he could be a really good consistent TE threat. I focus on blocking ability here due to my next pick.

5. Marcus Davis, WR, VT

Big bodied, very fast with good hands. Inconsistent still. At 6'4 232, he would be a massive target to develop. Let Roddy get his hands on him and see Julio's work ethic and it'd be hard for him not to develop. Let him act as the "TE" of the offense since Sims can't stretch the field. Has good speed and it's hard for smaller corners to guard him due to that size. Could grow to be a terror in the league like Brandon Marshall.

6. Quanterus Smith, DE, WKU

Was tied for the lead in sacks with Damontre Moore. Had a 3 sack game against BAMA. When's the last time that's happened. Was really raising his stock until his ACL tear. Falls due to because of poor timing of the injury. Very good rusher. Taking him let's him fully recover at his own pace without pressure to hurry up and produce. Has 2nd-3rd round ability but has a very bad injury that could have him out until week 12 of the 2013 season and not full strength until 2014. Could be a good 3-4 OLB since he's already shown he can get after it with his hand in the dirt.

7. Michael Mauti, ILB, PSU

Very instinctive. Workman like attitude. Will just hit you because that's what he's supposed to do as a linebacker. I like it. Reads his keys very well, is not often fooled and tackles well. He's got a lot of what Dent doesn't. Only problem: he's just hurt his knee again. I see Mauti as a longer term project than Smith though, so again, no rush. In a 3-4, Spoon and Nic would be our ILBs. Mauti would be depth and a STer and push Dent to develop or get out.

You know that I've been drafting Jenkins for a while know, and his stock is on the rise. If the draft were today, he'd probably be the third DT off the board, and a top 20 pick. Luckily, we have a few things going for us there. First, Jesse Williams, the kid can bench press 600 lbs and will probably leapfrog Jenkins in the offseason. Second, he's pretty much a pure NT with little experience in a 4-3, so with Sheldon Richardson's stock rising, he could come off the board before Jenkins as well, simply b/c he's more of a 4-3. Third, if Louis Nix declares, with the way his stock is now, I wouldn't be surprised for him to get picked before Jenkins as well. All these things could end up pushing him down, and if he falls to the bottom of the 1st, he'd be a steal.

Eh we just can't use a first rounder on a rotational tackle, I know I gave us a NT too in my latest mock but that was in the 4th round.

I like some of the mid round picks, as a prospect I really just don't like Bell, he doesn't run with great pad level, he tries to shake and bait instead of truck...his running style just isn't very good

I wanted to do one with a 3-4 twist to it:

FA:

I still believe Reggie Bush would be a great signing. He is very versatile and dangerous every time the ball is in his hands. I would put Chris Ivory here, but he's a RFA and could be kept for very cheap with a tender, even though the Saints are in cap heIl right now.

1. Jonathan Jenkins, NT, UGA

Big monster in the middle. Of course we'd need that to make it work. But Jenkins has a high ceiling as he's pretty athletic. Very stout in the middle and can only be moved with a double team. Would make the transition seamless and give us a true 0-tech.

2. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

If you haven't watched any film on Jones, I suggest you do so and soon. This kid is going to be good. He is very difficult to contain for a full 60 minutes. He is a penetrating 5-tech with very good speed, can anchor and can win 1v1. He requires a double team more often than not out there on the west coast. Watching Anthony Barr highlights made him jump out to me and spark this mock. He looks like JJ Watt out there at times. Watch some film on him and then picture Jenkins and Jones on the same DLine. Could be really scary.

3. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

Very good guard on Miss St. OLine. Big mover. Here is what Tony Pauline had to say about him recently:

Gives us some more beef on the inside.

4. Le'Veon Bell, RB, MSU

Here's my faller of the draft. There will be no first round back. I don't see anybody truly worthy right now. The avg number of RBs taken in the draft is 19. That's 2.7 per round. With none going in the first, that leaves 9 going in the 2nd-4th range. I have Bell falling due to faster or more accomplished runners going ahead of him. I think he runs an average 40-time for his size, slightly deflating his stock. Having cut Turner and adding Bush, we have a very good stable of backs with Bush, Bell, Rodgers and Snelling. May have to move up in the round to get him, but I won't be surprised if he is available in the fourth round.

4 (Comp). Dion Sims, TE, MSU

Double dip Michigan State. Dion Sims is a big TE with good athletic ability. A little overweight in my opinion, but he is a really good blocker due to that size and is still a valuable WR. Won't stretch the field or be what Tony was here, but he could be a really good consistent TE threat. I focus on blocking ability here due to my next pick.

5. Marcus Davis, WR, VT

Big bodied, very fast with good hands. Inconsistent still. At 6'4 232, he would be a massive target to develop. Let Roddy get his hands on him and see Julio's work ethic and it'd be hard for him not to develop. Let him act as the "TE" of the offense since Sims can't stretch the field. Has good speed and it's hard for smaller corners to guard him due to that size. Could grow to be a terror in the league like Brandon Marshall.

6. Quanterus Smith, DE, WKU

Was tied for the lead in sacks with Damontre Moore. Had a 3 sack game against BAMA. When's the last time that's happened. Was really raising his stock until his ACL tear. Falls due to because of poor timing of the injury. Very good rusher. Taking him let's him fully recover at his own pace without pressure to hurry up and produce. Has 2nd-3rd round ability but has a very bad injury that could have him out until week 12 of the 2013 season and not full strength until 2014. Could be a good 3-4 OLB since he's already shown he can get after it with his hand in the dirt.

7. Michael Mauti, ILB, PSU

Very instinctive. Workman like attitude. Will just hit you because that's what he's supposed to do as a linebacker. I like it. Reads his keys very well, is not often fooled and tackles well. He's got a lot of what Dent doesn't. Only problem: he's just hurt his knee again. I see Mauti as a longer term project than Smith though, so again, no rush. In a 3-4, Spoon and Nic would be our ILBs. Mauti would be depth and a STer and push Dent to develop or get out.

I like it. I think we need a big athletic NT to take up blocks so the LBs can flow freely to the ball. I also think it will free things up for Abraham and whoever on the other side. I also think we should look into a guy like Kevin Minter at MLB.

Would rather get Louis Nix instead of Jenkins, but I can live with him. Not a bad draft at all though. One of the best I've seen, yet again lol

Louis Nix is easily one of my favorite players, but he may not even declare. He's a redshirt sophomore according to ESPN. If he declares, I think he would be better than Jenkins for us, but I don't know if he's even declaring so I passed on putting him in.

Eh we just can't use a first rounder on a rotational tackle, I know I gave us a NT too in my latest mock but that was in the 4th round.

I like some of the mid round picks, as a prospect I really just don't like Bell, he doesn't run with great pad level, he tries to shake and bait instead of truck...his running style just isn't very good

Yes you can when he's a good player. Even where we are picking, it's a late first. How many 350lb NTs pop up that are worth anything these days? Poe was trash. Jenkins at least produces at UGA and plays the 0-tech right now.

As for Bell, I only add him to have a big back to replace Turner. With Bush and Quizz in this scenario, we don't have the best inside short yardage runners. Also, if he falls to the 4th, I think he is very good value.

I really want us to get a big NT but we have 3 good DTs right now and I see DE as more of a need.

However if he is BPA I wouldn't mind picking him.

I just don't see a first round DE being there anymore that I like. Moore was my favorite but he's skyrocketed. Jordan may not be there. Not sold on Ansah. Okafor reminds me of a slightly better Israel Idonije. Those are the only first rounders I see us possibly landing in the 30s. That's why I take Jenkins and Jones back to back. Jenkins gives us a true 3-4 NT and Jones is a capable 4-3 LE but a better 3-4 5-tech. Put those two on the line, move Babs to RDE, have Biermann and Abe standing with Nic and Spoon in the middle.

Also, I did this mock solely based on us going to a 3-4, not based on our current defense.

Louis Nix is easily one of my favorite players, but he may not even declare. He's a redshirt sophomore according to ESPN. If he declares, I think he would be better than Jenkins for us, but I don't know if he's even declaring so I passed on putting him in.

Yes you can when he's a good player. Even where we are picking, it's a late first. How many 350lb NTs pop up that are worth anything these days? Poe was trash. Jenkins at least produces at UGA and plays the 0-tech right now.

As for Bell, I only add him to have a big back to replace Turner. With Bush and Quizz in this scenario, we don't have the best inside short yardage runners. Also, if he falls to the 4th, I think he is very good value.

I just don't see a first round DE being there anymore that I like. Moore was my favorite but he's skyrocketed. Jordan may not be there. Not sold on Ansah. Okafor reminds me of a slightly better Israel Idonije. Those are the only first rounders I see us possibly landing in the 30s. That's why I take Jenkins and Jones back to back. Jenkins gives us a true 3-4 NT and Jones is a capable 4-3 LE but a better 3-4 5-tech. Put those two on the line, move Babs to RDE, have Biermann and Abe standing with Nic and Spoon in the middle.

Also, I did this mock solely based on us going to a 3-4, not based on our current defense.

Nix is a junior