On This Date In 1983...

Shaggy 2.0

Steve bartkowski throws a 42 yard desperation pass that is deflected to Billy Johnson at the 5 yard line and he then fights his way into the end zone to give Atlanta a 28 -24 win over the 49ers. - Time dispatch (Richmond, va) a little history about our birds from a va newspaper!

i hated 1983 , i was 6

Steve bartkowski throws a 42 yard desperation pass that is deflected to Billy Johnson at the 5 yard line and he then fights his way into the end zone to give Atlanta a 28 -24 win over the 49ers. - Time dispatch (Richmond, va) a little history about our birds from a va newspaper!

I remember that game! I see so many similarities in that team and todays team.

We are lucky there was no replay back then. I remember watching that and screaming my head off. What a a great play in Atlanta history

yeah watch that closely and he was down before he got the ball in. replay would have overturned that,

unless the opposing coach threw the challenge flag before the replay assistant had time to buzz down...... ahem.........

Falcons Niners have had some pretty lopsided games and plays, but the last minute Billy Joe heave to Michael Haynes is my all time favorite, especially because Miller was out. That or the 70 yard backbreaker play by Roddy White in 08 I think it was? way different niner team back then, even though it's a lot of the same players on defense

I was only 4 years old at the time. I brought this up with my dad in a phone call and he said he is pretty sure we were at that game. I thought that was pretty cool. I don't remember it , I mean I remember going to games at that age just not what happened or what particular game it was.

I was six and literally crying on my couch because we were "losing AGAIN!" my parents were trying to console me when the hail Mary was answered again. I'll never forget that day. Who knows? I might have defected to another team as a youngster if not for that play.

I was at FCS when Tolliver had his prayer answered to Michael Haynes in 91. What a great game that one was as well!

You saw what happened to Ed Reed didn't you? Reduction or not he shouldn't be paying a cent for that hit.

NFL is a ball of hypocrisy to me right now.

I heard about it but I didn't see it......

After 3 disappointing YouTube videos that didn't show it, I finally watched NFL.com's gamecenter video. I couldn't find it from another angle or in slo-mo, but it did look like helmet-to-helmet to me.