Doug Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIw6WfOB59k

we can't STOP him.....our LB's will have to play out of their skin to keep him under 100yrds.

I mean the lateral speed & burst upfront he has is unmatched....& especially the way we have misfit & mistackled big runs as of date....I dont expect anything different.

I just hope our passing game keeps us in game otherwise we are toast!

This is a two part post:

First of all, I am worried about what Martin will do to the Falcons on Sunday. We have struggled against the run from average RBs this year and now we have to face a guy who is arguably one of the hottest backs in the league. Anyone think we have a chance to stop him and if so, how?

Second, does anyone else have him on your fantasy team? You figure this guy will probably get 25+ pts this week against ATL, so how do you deal with the mix of emotions watching a guy on your fantasy team succeed at the expense of your real team? I think I want to see him get 5 - 40 yard runs during the game, but get stopped at ATL's 40 every time and have to punt rolleyes.gif

concerned ,must stop him that is all

we can't STOP him.....our LB's will have to play out of their skin to keep him under 100yrds.

I mean the lateral speed & burst upfront he has is unmatched....& especially the way we have misfit & mistackled big runs as of date....I dont expect anything different.

I don't know if you have watched many of our games but I'll fill you in. As long as Ryan doesn't have his head up his a** Sunday then he will put up huge numbers and be able to put the game away. Martin will probably get his yards but your run d would have to be historically bad for us to win this game.

When I say that our pass defense is bad I'm understating it a bit. Multiple receivers running their routes uncontested every play. We don't disrupt them on the line, we don't throw them off their timing. Our corners backpedal then get burned. That's it. Our best cove guy is undrafted Leonard Johnson who has been playing well but he clocked in with a 4.7 40 at the combine so obviously he doesn't match up to speed well.

After him we have Biggers who is the guy that always misses making a play by a few inches. That gets old real fast. Then we have Eric "never get" Wright. If he's healthy enough to start the game I guarantee you he won't be healthy enough to finish it. And even if he wasn't injury prone, he's playing about as well as a backup should. Add in the fact we don't have a free safety, instead we field two strong safeties that struggle in coverage and linebackers that are coach (hopefully) to sell out for play action and you got yourself a s*** storm for pass defense.

Unless we somehow miraculously get a competent pass defense, there's no way you should lose this. Look for a huge day for Matt Ryan.

Edited by BigSombrero

Our problem has been giving up big runs for the most part. If you take away the 2 long runs from LaRod Stephens-Howling on sunday he averages less than 2 yards per carry.

The only games I can think of when we constantly got run on were the first half of the Redskins game and possibly the Saints game.

I do have Doug Martin on my fantasy team and I fully expect to start him against the Falcons. Of course Falcons winning trumps my fantasy team winning.

I have Martin on my team.

I also have Steve Smith & Payton Manning and I feel the same way about Martin as I did about them.

I would be happy if I get nothing from him and we win... Which is exactly what happened with both of them when we played them.

Edited by Sun Tzu 7

I realize that I am in the minority, but this guy doesn't really impress me. There has been an epidemic of bad tackling in the NFL this year. Yes, the guy is quick and makes people miss, which is his biggest strength, but teams that put a hat on him and wrap up drop him easily.

I think the key to martin is to not give him space. That is where his strength is. I'm mostly concerned if Asante plays because the he is so bad at supporting the run. I would like for us to go into our base 4 - 3 and bring a safety up. I'm pretty sure we can handle the Bucs passing game with minimal damage running our base, but we have got to bottle up Martin and hit him before he gets into the open field. Maybe throw some run blitzes at the bucks and clog the running lanes. If we run a constant nickle he will eat our lunch, but I'm hoping we don't run a lot of nickle

I honestly don't know why anybody would be worried, have some faith. Wasn't Martin the same guy that about 4 weeks ago the coach was complaining about. Something to the affect that his backs needed to run harder.

NFL is week to week. Bears looked like world beaters on D right, but they get it handed to them against a guy making his first start??? Big bad 49ers last week only could pull out a tie in OT against a 3 win team. Texans get pushed to OT with the sorry Jags.

My point is that everythign is week to week. There is no dominant team that is just been lights out from start to finish every week. Falcons have their issues, so do ever other team. Game is going to be played and it will be 0-0 when it starts. I look for the Falcons to come out on top. Tampa will not be a push over, but lets paly the game.

I realize that I am in the minority, but this guy doesn't really impress me. There has been an epidemic of bad tackling in the NFL this year. Yes, the guy is quick and makes people miss, which is his biggest strength, but teams that put a hat on him and wrap up drop him easily.

I think the key to martin is to not give him space. That is where his strength is. I'm mostly concerned if Asante plays because the he is so bad at supporting the run. I would like for us to go into our base 4 - 3 and bring a safety up. I'm pretty sure we can handle the Bucs passing game with minimal damage running our base, but we have got to bottle up Martin and hit him before he gets into the open field. Maybe throw some run blitzes at the bucks and clog the running lanes. If we run a constant nickle he will eat our lunch, but I'm hoping we don't run a lot of nickle

Amen on hoping we don't run a lot of nickel- but think this guy is a stud- enough of a stud to beat us if we play a decent 4 quarters- no. But if we don't- it could get ugly. IMO we're pretty afflicted with bad tacklingitis. Solid Pop Warner fundamentals would definitely keep him more under wraps.

This is a two part post:

First of all, I am worried about what Martin will do to the Falcons on Sunday. We have struggled against the run from average RBs this year and now we have to face a guy who is arguably one of the hottest backs in the league. Anyone think we have a chance to stop him and if so, how?

Second, does anyone else have him on your fantasy team? You figure this guy will probably get 25+ pts this week against ATL, so how do you deal with the mix of emotions watching a guy on your fantasy team succeed at the expense of your real team? I think I want to see him get 5 - 40 yard runs during the game, but get stopped at ATL's 40 every time and have to punt rolleyes.gif

Spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIw6WfOB59k

Guy looks like a bigger faster version of Ray rice.