Pff Released Their Gradings For Cardinals @ Falcons

Rai

Haven't done one of these in a while but I got a bit of free time and there's some interesting stuff for me to share.

Offense

- The pass protection gave up 1 sack, 4 hits and 6 hurries. A further hit and 3 hurries came unblocked.

- Baker gave up a sack, a hit and 2 hurries. Doesn't sound great but considering we dropped back 48x, it's slightly lower than the league average. He graded bad in run blocking though, leading to an overall grade in the red.

- Blalock graded pretty well in run blocking and like Baker, was roughly at a tiny bit below league average for a guard in pass blocking as he yielded 2 hurries.

- McClure didn't yield anything in pass protection and considering he pass blocked 47x, that's actually average (the average centre gives up a form of pressure once every 45-50 pass blocks). His run blocking was pretty bad though.

- Konz graded out as average overall, not doing especially good or bad in either pass blocking or run blocking. Just solid. Gave up 2 hits.

- Clabo was the best by far. He had a perfect day in pass protection as he gave up nothing and added in some strong run blocking too.

- Hawley and Johnson combined for just 4 snaps in the game.

- Turner didn't do much good. He only forced 1 missed tackle in 11 attempts, and averaged a poor 1.6 yards after contact per attempt. Compare that to the Panthers where he forced 11 missed tackles on 15 attempts, and getting a 4.0 yards after contact per attempt. Not looking good. He also dropped a pass and gave up a hurry.

- Rodgers was in for 34 snaps, 1 more than Turner actually. He wasn't so great running the ball either, not forcing any missed tackles but he did do well in the receiving game catching 5/6 for 35 yards including a long of 17 and forcing a missed tackle. He also gave up a hurry in pass protection.

- Snelling played 18 snaps, doing all sorts. 1 rush which went for a loss, 8 pass routes which resulted in 3 catches for 25 yards forcing 2 missed tackles in the process but also fumbling, 4 snaps run blocking where he graded positively and 5 im pass protection where he didn't give up anything. I think Snelling can be a weapon in this offence. He's a big guy that can shift quickly for his size, and he can run block and catch too. His size and acceleration should also have you believe he could be a good short yardage back. A good all-round player that should be getting more looks.

- Cox played 21 snaps at fullback, run blocking 12x where he graded slightly positively. He gave up a hit in pass protection though,

- Gonzalez graded out as average overall. He again had a negative run blocking grade and caught 3/8 for 33 yards as it appeared the offence wasn't in sync, especially this Ryan-Gonzalez duo who otherwise averaged a 79.2% completion heading into this game.

- Palmer played 19 snaps but was very average. Coffman played 1 snap, sent out on a pass route.

- Roddy White graded in the red for receiving and also negatively for run blocking. Not his best day, despite the 123 yards as he also had 2 dropped passes and I think he got pegged for failing to locate the deep sideline pass Ryan threw (though I'm not certain).

- Jones just played 36 snaps, majority of which was being sent out on a route. 3/7 for 33 yards as he battled through injury and graded slightly negatively.

- Douglas played 54 snaps. He caught 5/6 for 48 yards but had a penalty. Drew Davis played 15 snaps but was only targeted once for a 4 yard gain.

- Matt Ryan had a bad game, just unable to deal with pressure as he had a 0.0 QB rating when under it and a terrible -5.0 grade. Under no pressure his QB rating wasn't good either (62.2) but he did have a healthy +2.4 grade in them situations which means he can definitely take some positives from his performance. His worst game since week 7 last season, and his first negatively graded game this season.

- Only two players graded out in the green: Justin Blalock and Tyson Clabo.

- Game ball on offence is an easy choice, as Tyson Clabo had a grade triple that of Blalock, the next best.

Defense

- The defense managed 3 sacks, 2 hits and 3 hurries. Against the Cardinals OL, with a rookie QB. A hit and a hurry came unblocked. The 8 pressures we managed is the fewest the Cardinals conceded, the next fewest being 15. For comparison, the Rams managed 47 pressures in one game. What the ****.

- The DL came up with 2 sacks, 1 hit and a hurry. Wait, that was entirely from John Abraham. Pretty good efficiency, even better with the strip-sack which gave him a juicy boost in the gradings. He also did well in run defense with 2 stops and finished with a strong grade.

- Biermann did well in run defense with 3 stops, even if he missed a tackle. He actually is leading the league in run stop % with 19 stops in 150 run snaps. He didn't create a single pressure in 19 attempts though. Matthews and Massaquoi combined for 9 snaps but didn't do anything of note.

- Our DT play was mixed. Babs had 50 snaps, and graded negatively but he did have 2 stops though. Peters had 41 snaps but was poor, especially in run defense and could add nothing to the stat sheet. Jerry (29 snaps) actually did pretty well against the run and had the best grade of the defensive tackles. Walker played just 15 snaps, grading slightly negatively. As previously mentioned, no one on the DL outside of Abraham generated any form of pressure.

- Nicholas played really well, grading positively in all 3 facets of the game. He rushed the passer 6x and came out with a sack and a hurry as well as adding 3 tackles (1 stop).

- Dent actually graded in the green and it was mainly from pass coverage as he didn't let Doucet get more than 4 yards. He picked up a hit and a hurry in 9 attempts rushing the passer and recorded 3 solo tackles and 2 assists, of which 3 were stops. Dent played all 58 snaps today, joining Moore and DeCoud as the only 3 to do so.

- Peterson graded slightly positively for run defence as he turned 4 of his solo tackles into 2 stops.

- Samuel graded poorly against the run (2 missed tackles) but well against the pass (0/5) in limited snaps (16). You think teams are targeting Samuel as a weakness in the run game?

- Robinson did well, allowing just 2/6 for 25 yards while getting a PD. Not much else to say.

- McClain graded positively for his work in coverage despite missing a tackle there but he also had a slight negative grade against the run as he missed a tackle here too. He was targeted 8 times but gave up just 4 passes for 20 yards (16 YAC) while getting a PD. He was targeted 4x while covering Fitzgerald but held his own as the result was 1/4 for 11 yards. I like this guy.

- Owens played 25 snaps, grading slightly positively 3/3 for only 16 yards with the longest being just 6 yards. Franks played 9 snaps all in coverage and wasn't tested.

- William Moore had a good day, grading positively in run defence and pass coverage.

- DeCoud graded negatively. He wasn't tested in coverage but did miss a tackle on the long run which lowered his grade close to the red. It's been a bit of a topsy-turvy season for DeCoud compared to last season. He's graded out as a top 10 cover safety but a bottom 10 run defender. Crazy, it looks like he worked extra hard on his weakness in the off-season but at the cost of his former strength. When he puts it all together, he'll be great.

- Game ball on D goes to John Abraham, despite some close competition from Nicholas. It has to go to Abraham though, for some great plays - particularly the strip sack which was returned for a TD.

- MVP goes to John Abraham. While Clabo finished with a higher grade, Abraham was more valuable because he carried the pass rush again and made impact plays. It's ridiculous how we still rely this much on him. Without him, we'd have had 1 sack, 1 hit and 2 hurries. Unbelievable but kudos to Abraham.

How does PFF determine what is or isn't a missed tackle. I saw Turner break more than just 1 and I definitely saw Quizz make at least 1 defender miss.

I'm not sure, though missed tackles are a subjective number which they try to stay consistent with. I just assume breaking arm tackles aren't counted, I haven't seen the game again so I can't really say.

I'm not sure, though missed tackles are a subjective number which they try to stay consistent with. I just assume breaking arm tackles aren't counted, I haven't seen the game again so I can't really say.

Yeah, who knows. Cause the term "missed tackle" to me means making a defender (who is in position to make a tackle) whiff. Or their tackle is broken/run through. Idk.

I believe they watched all 22 before game rewind sold it...

they probably use all 22 now that's it's available. this is from their FAQ:

13) Do you use coaches’ film, or TV broadcasts for your analysis? How can you see what players are lined up where?

We use TV broadcasts for both the analysis and the player participation data. We’ve been asked a lot how therefore is it possible to determine who was on the field in every position through TV pictures. Surely that just isn’t possible? Well, just because something is not easy doesn’t mean it is impossible. Firstly, the high definition picture from which we work is excellent, and that gives us the best starting point outside of coaches’ film, which isn’t attainable outside of NFL offices.

they probably use all 22 now that's it's available. this is from their FAQ:

13) Do you use coaches’ film, or TV broadcasts for your analysis? How can you see what players are lined up where?

We use TV broadcasts for both the analysis and the player participation data. We’ve been asked a lot how therefore is it possible to determine who was on the field in every position through TV pictures. Surely that just isn’t possible? Well, just because something is not easy doesn’t mean it is impossible. Firstly, the high definition picture from which we work is excellent, and that gives us the best starting point outside of coaches’ film, which isn’t attainable outside of NFL offices.

They don't use all 22 tape, NFL doesn't release all 22 till Tuesday/Wednesday for a Sunday game. I understand why PFF doesn't want to wait for all 22 though, its bad business for them to delay the grades after the game is played.

Edited by falcons007

I believe they watched all 22 before game rewind sold it...

Nope, they use broad cast TV in HD. Its not so much about quality of picture but lack of the footage on gaps,assignments,schemes and all 22 players. Last year PFF credited Falcons OL with 45 hits but NFL and ESPN had the hits at 84, they missed hits because not every hit is shown on the TV.

Edited by falcons007

I've had this argument with you before. It's a pathetically subjective way of analyzing production, and it's a shame that people pay money to receive it.

There's nothing that comes within the same zip code as being as reliable and accurate at them. The only way to top them would be have actually NFL coaches breaking it down... which isn't going to happen.

Nope, they use broad cast TV in HD. Its not so much about quality of picture but lack of the footage on gaps,assignments,schemes and all 22 players. Last year PFF credited Falcons OL with 45 hits but NFL and ESPN had the hits at 84, they missed hits because not every hit is shown on the TV.

NFL and ESPN count sacks as hits, like they do with counting INT as PD. You're probably reading on what the OL conceded from PFF, not taking into account the hits coming from free rushers.

89 is the total number of sacks and hits PFF recorded against Matt Ryan in 2011. That number might be off because PFF record split sacks as a full sack.

Edited by Rai

They don't use all 22 tape, NFL doesn't release all 22 till Tuesday/Wednesday for a Sunday game. I understand why PFF doesn't want to wait for all 22 though, its bad business for them to delay the grades after the game is played.

They do use all-22, especially on plays they aren't sure on. They just release their old method of grading first and then any suspicious plays as well as random segments of games, they use all-22 which is why we see some grade tweaking of certain players from the beginning of the week to the ending of the week.