Report: Ray Edwards Released By Falcons For Insubordination

fuego

Not sure if this had been posted.

Earlier this week, the Falcons surprisingly released defensive end Ray Edwards. Though he hadn't been all that productive on the field, that reportedly wasn't the reason that Atlanta parted ways with him.

According to Jay Glazer on Fox NFL Sunday, the Falcons released him after he was insubordinate to coach Mike Smith in the locker room following Atlanta's loss last week to the Saints.

Glazer said Smith was about to make his postgame speech, and he requested the presence of Edwards -- who refused to leave his locker. Three times, Smith asked him to join his teammates in the middle of the locker room (other Falcons also apparently tried to cajole Edwards). Three times, Edwards ignored him.

Adding further to the problem was that owner Arthur Blank and general manager Thomas Dimitroff were in the locker room and witnessed the reported insubordination first-hand.

The Falcons had wanted to sign Charles Johnson in the first place before the 2011 season, but he signed an enormous deal with the Panthers. According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Falcons were wary about signing Edwards in the first place.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21042174/report-ray-edwards-released-by-falcons-for-insubordination

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't hop on the board yesterday before the game so I'm not sure if it was posted (I'm sure it was) but I saw the report by Glazer and it made sense. Regardless of how much Ray sucked it really made no sense to cut him midseason based SOLELY on his poor play. I knew there was something else to it. Especially when Smitty and TD refused to really address it other than saying the move was "better for the team" and guys on the squad said they weren't surprised.

Didn't hop on the board yesterday before the game so I'm not sure if it was posted (I'm sure it was) but I saw the report by Glazer and it made sense. Regardless of how much Ray sucked it really made no sense to cut him midseason based SOLELY on his poor play. I knew there was something else to it. Especially when Smitty and TD refused to really address it other than saying the move was "better for the team" and guys on the squad said they weren't surprised.

I know man Falcons have a history of carrying dead weight for years that's why it surprised me when he got the axe. This makes more sense

As much as I didn't like Edwards play, it pains me to see a guy so lost. What he did is a sign that he is a troubled person. Maybe Ray will seek out a way to find what is missing in his life. Unfortunately the falcons did not have a lot of options when they signed ray. Hope the falcons and ray both find a way to fill the void.

As much as I didn't like Edwards play, it pains me to see a guy so lost. What he did is a sign that he is a troubled person. Maybe Ray will seek out a way to find what is missing in his life. Unfortunately the falcons did not have a lot of options when they signed ray. Hope the falcons and ray both find a way to fill the void.

Meh, maybe he was just born an A-hole.....

lol @ Falcons were wary of signing Edwards in first place but do it anyway

Can't wait to TD is fired . Blank must be happy he is eating 4.5 million next year of dead salary

Best stretch in the Falcons franchise ever, and you still find something to whine about. People like you are amazing and I do not mean that in a positive light.

You can say this a million times and it still won't be any more true.

I don't see how Blank would justify keeping Smith and TD with zero playoff success in 6 seasons and think something will change

fool me once .. shame on you

fool me twice ... shame on me

fool me 3,4,5,6 .. yeah that's a trend and changes need to be made

I don't see how Blank would justify keeping Smith and TD with zero playoff success in 6 seasons and think something will change

fool me once .. shame on you

fool me twice ... shame on me

fool me 3,4,5,6 .. yeah that's a trend and changes need to be made

You realize that under this logic every head coach and GM in the NFL should be fired every three to four years. There is no other GM and head coach in the NFC that have had winning seasons for five straight years. You cannot make the playoffs if you don't have a decent regular season record. So, you can go ahead and keep saying moronic things like you have or realize that even though we have not won a super bowl yet, this franchise is lucky to have a HC and GM like we have. It will only be a matter of time before we start winning in the playoffs.