Falcons Fall To #5 In Peter King/cnnsi's Power Rankings

g-dawg

http://sportsillustr.../week-11/2.html

MMQB (cont.)

Fine Fifteen

1. New England (7-3).
No Gronk for a while, but I'd be surprised if the Patriots don't score enough to beat the Jets Thanksgiving night. This is a ridiculously explosive team, with a defense that played better Sunday than it had in recent weeks. I had to think about the top of the rankings for some time Sunday night, and the fact that no one can stop the Patriots tipped the scales. In their last three games: nine takeaways, two defensive touchdowns (both Sunday), 47.0 points per game.

2. Houston (9-1).
Now for the Three-Game Trip From Heck: at Detroit (Thanksgiving afternoon), at Tennessee (Titans 10-4 in last 14 against Texans), at New England. AFC home-field in the playoffs on the line.

3. San Francisco (6-2-1).
The Niners will be hard-pressed to go 2-0 over the next seven days, with Chicago tonight and the Saints, on a short week, in New Orleans next Sunday.

4. Green Bay (7-3).
Does anyone throw a prettier ball, dropped out of the sky into a postage-stamp hole, than Aaron Rodgers? He did it again on Sunday with the rainbow to Randall Cobb to send the Packers past the Lions.

5. Atlanta (9-1).
Sorry, Falcons fans. Just seeing too much out of this team, especially on offense, that I don't like the last couple of weeks.

6. Denver (7-3).
The Broncos have won five games in a row. Scored in the 30s five games in a row. Won the five games by an average of 13.6 a game.

7. Baltimore (8-2).
Three wins in a row in the game's fiercest rivalry, by 28, 3 and 3 points. Loved the hitting and instincts I saw out of cornerback Corey Graham Sunday night in Pittsburgh.

8. Chicago (7-2).
With Jay Cutler under center, they'd be in the 4-5 range of these rankings.

9. New Orleans (5-5).
Since Oct. 1, 5-1, with the margin of the five wins at 11 points a game.

10. Pittsburgh (6-4).
That was just plain weird, seeing strong-armed (or so we thought) Byron Leftwich wind up, throw bombs downfield, and have them flutter to earth three or five or eight yards short. The Steelers have to survive without Ben Roethlisberger for now, and there's only a one-game cushion over Cincinnati for the moment.

11. Tampa Bay (6-4).
Haven't seen that much pure jubilation on a sideline in a long time than what the Bucs showed after winning in overtime at Carolina. Stat line that'll make football traditionalists happy: Doug Martin, 197 carries, 1,000 yards, 5.1 yards per rush, seven touchdowns.

12. Seattle (6-4).
On his bye Sunday, Russell Wilson went to church and when he left, he told the minister, "Go Hawks!" He went grocery shopping and told his checkout gal, "Go Hawks!'' He went to ... You get the message. The guy ends most conversations with the media and with real people with "Go Hawks!''

13. Minnesota (6-4).
Strap it on, Vikes. Next three foes are 21-7, and two are on the road.

14. New York Giants (6-4).
NFC East gets tighter, and the Giants, on the bye Sunday, aren't playing well. They're a game up on 5-5 Dallas, two up on 4-6 Washington, and the Cowboys and 'Skins play Thanksgiving Day in Arlington. If Dallas wins, the Giants will be playing for the division lead next Sunday at home against Green Bay.

15. Indianapolis (6-4).
Thought they were ready to play a shootout game against New England. I thought wrong.

Read More: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz2CfvNJodz

agree .. With King rankings .. Ill even put Denver ahead of us now the way they are playing

If power rankings put more weight solely on how teams are perceived on what they will do in playoffs, Falcons would be ranked even lower.

Right now, Bucs/Saints seem like more complete team than Falcons. We beat Denver, but they are better than us now as well. The inability to run the ball is really going to bite the Falcons moving foward as the schedule toughens.

If power rankings put more weight solely on how teams are perceived on what they will do in playoffs, Falcons would be ranked even lower.

Right now, Bucs/Saints seem like more complete team than Falcons. We beat Denver, but they are better than us now as well. The inability to run the ball is really going to bite the Falcons moving foward as the schedule toughens.

I thought Saints complete team was killed by Denver and Bucs game is coming against them after us.. We would see how these complete teams hang around...

LOL I agree Dawg fan... Aren't your optimistic about Bull dogs getting into the championship game...

All I know that we are much different team than 2010.

no, not overly optimistic about my Dawgs either. Trying to be a glass "half full" but reality for me says "half empty".

Aaron Murray has shown in his three years an inability to win the big games. He is 1-for-2 this year (South Carolina - Murray did not even show up, Florida - he was awful in 1st half but did enough to win in 2nd).

Second reason I am pessimistic is Mark Richt is no match for Nick Saban. Bulldogs put as much talent in NFL the last 5 seasons that Bama has - i'm quite confident you could switch the coaches and Saban could beat Richt with Richt's own players. Saban >>>>>>>Richt.

To be honest, I'm gonna sweat the Tech game. Bulldogs had fits with that crazy Veer offense this week against Georgia Southern and should have been losing 14-10 at halftime......

but "YES" i'm excited that there is at least a possibility of Georgia running the table and getting in the BCS Championship.

a lot of 'good' teams almost lost this week...green bay....houston...ravens(against a backup QB)...the field is open too anyone..

that's what I'm saying.... There's no clean cut favorite this year and as a Falcons Fan we always want our team to be clear cut.. Keep in mind, it's week 10 and we want our team to HEAT up during Dec, Jan and FEB....

We played a good game against Eagles on the road, Dallas at home and Saints game on the road (oh don't kill me on 3&1 or 4&1 now, it took me f**** whole week to get over)...

We just had a bad bad game yesterday but we found a way to WIN.. that's all matter in the regular season...

Are we going to play that type of D again...who knows

rankings are subjective & it's just that individual's feelings,but I do always wonder who is it that they see as so dominant? Every team has a loss, every team except us & maybe GB, has a bad loss. The team he has as #1 lost to this very same Cardinal team that we beat (even though he saw some things he didn't like) The 49er's who King himself said will be hard pressed to go 2-0 over the next two weeks, has been blown out by a team he has ranked 14th, & tied at home against the Rams. Games are tough to win in this league, division & rival games are even tougher (Texans/Jags) So where as i don't care about the rankings for real, it's just annoying to listen to them attempt to justify higher rankings for their favorites & lower rankings for the teams that are not national favorites.