If Neither Mass Or Matthews Work Out.

Snafu

I am a die-hard fan of the Atlanta Falcons. I have the logo tattooed over my heart and have been a fan for nearly 2 decades (I'm only 27 years old). I refer to the Falcons as my first love, to my wife. Please, don't discredit me if you find this post to be pessimistic.

If neither of these guys work out, I have no faith in our FO to ever DRAFT a high quality pass rusher. I'm afraid that we will be stuck taking 2nd level FA pass rushers for the rest of our existence. John Abraham is by far and away the best trade or offseason move this franchise has ever made in its entire existence. I dont expect a move of that level to EVER happen so cheaply again. He was worth that trade tenfold. Lets face it, if he left right now, how would we fare? I am scared of not having him on this team.

Who was the last GREAT pass rusher the Atlanta Falcons drafted? Patrick Kerney, 1999. Ever since Pat left in 2007 we have tried to find a player to match Abes production. 5 years...FIVE YEARS we have tried to find a player to simply help John Abraham and have failed (Though I love Kroys motor, and love him as a rotation guy). We didn't draft a complimentary player to Kerney in the 8 years he was here. We literally have not drafted a dominant DE in the last 13 years. 13 FREAKING YEARS. That is inexcusable. The hunt for a dominant DE has gone on long enough. One of these guys need to step up and fill the void or I'm afraid we may be screwed.

Edited by RubberDucky

Guest Negatorris

I don't think the Falcons were ever looking for a DE to match Abe's production. Most of the DEs drafted were projects. TD has never really spent a high round draft pick on a DE. The good news though, is that there is a great chance we finally spend a 1st round pick on a DE, and I'm sure Nolan will play into that. If we don't there are also a few DEs that are FAs that we could look at. Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett(RFA). Any of these guys would be solid imo, I'm just afraid we might get another Ray Edwards.

But the Falcons really haven't had a pass rush for a while. It was decent in 08, but since then the highest it's been ranked is 19th. That's pretty bad. Abe is obviously slowing down. He honestly doesn't get sacks unless we play a hapless teams. I'm sure he'll have a big day against ARI, but might fade when we play the Bucs. He's lost a step and once he's gone we're either going to have to beef up the secondary even more, or hope the offense can score 35/game.

In all honesty, after the Edwards fiasco I'd rather us just take a chance in the draft on a DE. 1st or 2nd round...my thing with FA D-linemen is once they get paid will they continue to play at a high level. With a drafted player with the new rookie cap, these young guys got to prove they are worth it, so it's possible you could get up to 4 years of good production(if they aren't a bust)

We also have to consider how much we move into a 3-4 base would play into getting a DE and the type of DE Nolan would want. But this is all contigent upon the 3 guys we have waiting in the wings not working out, which we 7 games and the playoffs to find out about.

I am a die-hard fan of the Atlanta Falcons. I have the logo tattooed over my heart and have been a fan for nearly 2 decades (I'm only 27 years old). I refer to the Falcons as my first love, to my wife. Please, don't discredit me if you find this post to be pessimistic.

If neither of these guys work out, I have no faith in our FO to ever DRAFT a high quality pass rusher. I'm afraid that we will be stuck taking 2nd level FA pass rushers for the rest of our existence. John Abraham is by far and away the best trade or offseason move this franchise has ever made in its entire existence. I dont expect a move of that level to EVER happen so cheaply again. He was worth that trade tenfold. Lets face it, if he left right now, how would we fare? I am scared of not having him on this team.

Who was the last GREAT pass rusher the Atlanta Falcons drafted? Patrick Kerney, 1999. Ever since Pat left in 2007 we have tried to find a player to match Abes production. 5 years...FIVE YEARS we have tried to find a player to simply help John Abraham and have failed (Though I love Kroys motor, and love him as a rotation guy). We didn't draft a complimentary player to Kerney in the 8 years he was here. We literally have not drafted a dominant DE in the last 13 years. 13 FREAKING YEARS. That is inexcusable. The hunt for a dominant DE has gone on long enough. One of these guys need to step up and fill the void or I'm afraid we may be screwed.

Dang brah, you are hardcore fan , much respect , much respect, tatooo over the heart is pretty dedicated LOL....your wife must be an angel to put up with you....

I really think Mass is going to be a great one in time. He has the heart to be very good. I believe we will get to see it fairly soon. Matthews is my second pick to make it if he has the will. Edwards had the goods but not the heart. I knew that the giant's would not have let him go if he was all that so I never expected much from him because he had never produced. They took him off of potential that was never there.

Well.....it was before Smith one year before....but wasn't Jammal a first round pick at DE? Not being a smart azz.....I'm just asking. If I remember correctly he was supposed to be a beast of a DE.

yep. Passed up on patrick willis and I think darrele revis was in that class as well. Revis diva attitide makes me glad we passed on him though.

So if Mass, a fifth round rookie, doesn't work out and Matthews, a seventh round rookie, doesn't work out neither, we will never be able to find a DE? That makes perfect sense. It took the Ravens how long to find ANY offensive players? TD hasn't had a real chance to take a DE in the first two rounds. In 08 and 09, we had Abe and JA98 was just a 2nd and 3rd year player (Can't use hindsight, use logic). You don't give up on a first rounder that quick. In 09, he takes a DT in the first. There were no DEs worth taking in the first two rounds, take a look. On to 2010, Jerry was hurt so TD's intentions for him fall through. We take Weatherspoon, the best defensive play available. JPP was the best DE available in the first two rounds, and he went 15 to the Giants. 2011 we made the trade for Julio and we all know the rest.

So please, tell me when, what round and who to cut for this DE TD missed out on without using hindsight. This is TD's first time to really have good talent available to address the DE position.

We also have to consider how much we move into a 3-4 base would play into getting a DE and the type of DE Nolan would want. But this is all contigent upon the 3 guys we have waiting in the wings not working out, which we 7 games and the playoffs to find out about.

I would rather let Nolan do work with a 3-4 at this point as opposed to a 4-3 because it seems that the de's that are coming out of college nowadays are not the 270lbers that used to come out but are 235- 250 and can play in space a little better

I would rather let Nolan do work with a 3-4 at this point as opposed to a 4-3 because it seems that the de's that are coming out of college nowadays are not the 270lbers that used to come out but are 235- 250 and can play in space a little better

Good observation and that's the point a lot of people are missing. The spread offenses in college have forced a personnel adaptation on the defenses, reducing the number of prototype 4-3 DEs available.

Good observation and that's the point a lot of people are missing. The spread offenses in college have forced a personnel adaptation on the defenses, reducing the number of prototype 4-3 DEs available.

Plus I like that we have some players that would Make some pretty good DE like babs, Jerry and even peters because they are quick for DE's. we just need a nose who can hold the point

To an extent though. Just take the best rusher you can get. You won't find many 270+ guys, but a 6'4 255 is fine if he can get to the QB in my opinion. He just has to be mean. Demarcus Ware is 6'4 255 but plays so violent he seems to be bigger

To an extent though. Just take the best rusher you can get. You won't find many 270+ guys, but a 6'4 255 is fine if he can get to the QB in my opinion. He just has to be mean. Demarcus Ware is 6'4 255 but plays so violent he seems to be bigger

We already have that with Abe, beirmann, Mass, Matthews. Heck I think majority of our De are that size. I just like the idea of Nolan and his 3-4

Like Justin Houston. A charter member of my guys-we-could-have-had-with-JJ-draft-picks group.

great thread and discussion....

i feel like Nolan is probably already trying to sell TD and smitty on the benefits of switching over to the 3-4 after this season....depends on how stubborn smitty is and whether he and dimitroff are married to the 4-3.

I think Dimitroff is open to whatever and he has the experience of scouting for a 3-4 with NE. I think after this year Nolan will have full reigns with this defense and we will have a draft to help us convert to that 3-4 and some money in free agency.

We already have that with Abe, beirmann, Mass, Matthews. Heck I think majority of our De are that size. I just like the idea of Nolan and his 3-4

We have that but you can't include Matthews and Mass. Before Nolan, depth players were just that, depth. Not meant to be used as actual players until injuries arise. Plus, you omitted the most important thing I said "They have to be mean". Outisde of Abe, nobody has shown they are mean, violent players.

Like Justin Houston. A charter member of my guys-we-could-have-had-with-JJ-draft-picks group.

Yes, Houston would have been a good pick and he went a little earlier than we were picking in the 3rd round anyway. Would you have taken him in the second? Of course you are going to say you would have since he is doing good but he would have been a reach in the second.

Yes, Houston would have been a good pick and he went a little earlier than we were picking in the 3rd round anyway. Would you have taken him in the second? Of course you are going to say you would have since he is doing good but he would have been a reach in the second.

Weren't the evaluations on Houston a lot higher than that? I recall a lot of late first/early 2nd grades on him. We were slotted at #59 and Justin went #70, so the reach would have be minimal.

great thread and discussion....

i feel like Nolan is probably already trying to sell TD and smitty on the benefits of switching over to the 3-4 after this season....depends on how stubborn smitty is and whether he and dimitroff are married to the 4-3.

May not go full 3-4, but may be looking to go full hybrid.......they already dumped the one guy that is a total 3-4 mismatch in Edwards.....