What Is An "elite" Qb?

The Vent King

Teams win football games. Teams win playoffs. TEAMS win Superbowls. Quarterbacks don't play defense, run block, or kick field goals. Which brings me to this tired debate, one I luv to hate, about who or rather WHAT is an elite quarterback and does it matter? Even though he is among leaders in MVP consideration, pro-bowl votes, qb rating, yards, TDs and whatever QBs are measured by, the debate continues about Matt Ryan being "elite" or rather NOT being "elite". Now don't get me wrong, having a top-notch qb definitely makes the odds of NFL success tip in your favor, but does he HAVE to be elite? What makes one elite? Does it matter? Where's Dan Marino when I need him?

My point is, it doesn't matter if Matt Ryan is elite or not. He is past good enough and only five years into his career. I think it's a huge waste of time talking about "elite" qbs and qbs in general "taking" their team to playoff wins when I hear "well Matt Ryan may be good but he never TOOK his team to a playoff victory". It's also a huge disrespect to the rest of the team or any team. It also lets the rest of the team off the hook unfairly. I'll give you that "it only matters what the QB does in the playoffs" argument all day, but I'll still counter with "well, it matters what the rest of the team does just as much if not more." Want to count how many times the Colts lost with Peyton's "elite" arse until he AND HIS TEAM got it right? How bout his brother? ****, how bout their dad? Oh yeah, he was good, but the Aints were the worst TEAM ever back then and thus never came close to sniffing the playoffs.

Let's take a walk down memory lane shall we? We couldn't run (cause the refs let them jump offsides all game long) or stop the Kurt Warner/Fitzgerald combo vs the Cards, the defense totally bent over vs the Pack AT HOME, and the offensive line looked like the guy with the red cape at a bull fight, also leading us to not being able to get one freaking yard all game when we needed to (again offensive line) vs the G-Men. All legit TEAM issues, not Matt Ryan issues. Now let me say this, Ryan wasn't perfect in that Giants game either, but he was not alone.

I know, I know it's the nature of the game. The Qbs get all the glory when a team wins, get all the grief when they lose, but that is because WE make it that way when more times than not it's totally illogical. Having an "elite" QB is good thing, but since it takes more than that to win in the playoffs, what does it really matter? If the Ravens could win one with Trent Dilfer running the offense, that RIGHT THERE proves it must take an entire TEAM to win it all. The offensive line has to protect Ryan and open holes for Heavy D, oops I mean Michael Turner, Michael Turner needs to stop impersonating T.J. Duckett, and the defense can't be making Chris Ivory or any other scrub RB look like Adrian Peterson's twin brother. Ryan can be as elite as Marino was in his early years or as elite as John Elway was before the arrival of "Tank-Dog' Terrell Davis. It won't matter.

We don't need an "elite" (whatever that is) QB cause we have all the QB we need right now. Besides, they'll finally and illogically call him "elite' (not that it matters) soon enough WHEN we win some playoff games. I say illogically because winning those playoff games will come down to something Ryan can't even control and that is the REST OF THE TEAM stepping up when it matters...in the playoffs. How can naming a QB elite come down to him "taking" his team to a playoff victory when said QB can't do all those other things?

It doesn't, it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't matter.

GO FALCONS!!

Thoughts?

To me elite means elite. A small group. So there are only a few in the NFL maybe 3 or 4. Not 5, 7 or 10. There is a difference between elite and very good. Im just preaching here. Not offended Matt isnt elite. Only elite guys to me are Rogers and Brees...maybe Brady. Peyton used to be, not so sure anymore.

yes it does matter that we have an elite QB do you remember the 2007 falcons with joey harrington

Yea, I remember that...I had season tickets on the first level and cussed a WHOLE helluva lot that season. You don't need an elite QB to remember that. Heck, I would have settled for a slightly below avg QB that season instead of Joey "Blowey" Harrington cause he wasn't even that good. We would have made the playoffs believe it or not if we had a halfway decent QB that year.

Recounting that bum is not making a good counter to what I said at all in regards to what I said in my OP dude.

Edited by The Vent King

To me elite means elite. A small group. So there are only a few in the NFL maybe 3 or 4. Not 5, 7 or 10. There is a difference between elite and very good. Im just preaching here. Not offended Matt isnt elite. Only elite guys to me are Rogers and Brees...maybe Brady. Peyton used to be, not so sure anymore.

Okay so being elite doesn't matter then...got it. Would those guys be considered elite if not for their teammates? That's what I was trying to convey. Because without that, they win nothing thus not being considered elite.

Okay so being elite doesn't matter then...got it. Would those guys be considered elite if not for their teammates? That's what I was trying to convey. Because without that, they win nothing thus not being considered elite.

Elite QB's make receivers better. Elite receivers make Q.B.'s better. So which do you have?

Elite QB's make receivers better. Elite receivers make Q.B.'s better. So which do you have?

We have a QB who is among tops in nearly every category being considered as mid-season MVP as well as THE top rcvr combo in Roddy and Julio. That's what we have.

Now the real question is - do you consider any of that to be "elite"?

A friend of mine said that an elite QB is classified by his play and his pay...disclaimer: He is an Eagle fan and says that the reason Vick is elite is because he has been paid 100 milly twice (elite QB money) and that his play is deserving of the title...I am not sure I agree with that assessment.

A friend of mine said that an elite QB is classified by his play and his pay...disclaimer: He is an Eagle fan and says that the reason Vick is elite is because he has been paid 100 milly twice (elite QB money) and that his play is deserving of the title...I am not sure I agree with that assessment.

You shouldn't. That TEAM overall sucks. No blocking, bad defense, shoddy rcvr play - all equal up to losses. His play as of late has suffered for that and his own performance reasons (fumbles, bad decisions, injury prone). He got paid for his "potential" (and exciting play) which has nothing to do with being "elite" by the definition I get from most peeps - playoff wins, qb rating, accuracy, yards, TDS, clutchness, etc etc none of which he is sniffing right now. Not all his fault, but enough of it is to not consider him "elite" over even good right now at all.

Edited by The Vent King