Falcons Chit-Chat: Espn Week#10 W/ Pat Yasinskas

g-dawg

Singing Toilet Water (())Was there more to Ray Edwards being released by the Falcons beyond his mediocre production?

Pat YasinskasI've gotten some indications that he might not have been fitting in well in the locker room.

Francis T. (Brooklyn NY)Pat I have to give you credit regarding Matt Ryan. You were the only one that pointed out that he was being handcuffed by Mike Mularkey. Now that Koetter is letting him loose, he is finally playing to his potential.

Pat Yasinskas(11:03 AM)Thanks, but I'm not sure I was the ONLY one that was saying that. Think there were a few others in the media that said it and maybe some people in Flowery Branch that at least quietly thought that.

Kyle (ATL)What was the tipping with Ray Edwards? Why release him now? Do the 3 guys mentioned as replacements have the talent to produce?

Pat YasinskasLike I said, I think it was more than just his lack of production. Maybe his attitude wasn't the best and maybe there were concerns about that impacting the locker room. Are the other guys ready to produce? Not sure about that. But at least they'll give maximum effort.

Kirk (Myrtle Beach)Where do you get your 2013 Cap figures from? And can the public see them?

Pat YasinskasThey're not public. But I'll share them with you whenever it's relevant.

Zach (Atlanta, GA)Do you think the Falcons will struggle Sunday if they are without both Sean Weatherspoon and Julio Jones?

Pat YasinskasIt sure isn't going to help them. But they're at home with the Cardinals, so I think they can get by.

James Stephens (Atlanta)With Turner's lack of speed burst and his size, do you think Falcons would be better using him as a FB and then using Quizz as RB on some plays? Allowing Quizz to use his quickness to get to the hole and Turners size to catch the a LB or D-Lineman in the backfield.

Pat Yasinskas(11:08 AM)Not sure about using Turner as FB, but wouldn't mind seeing Jacquizz get a few more carries.

.King (Atlanta)The Falcons are struggling to run the ball right now. Do you see them having a kind of resurgence like the Giants did just last year in their playoff run? Went from 32nd rushing to 116 yards per game.

Pat Yasinskas(11:12 AM)Would be nice, but I don't see any magic solution for them in that department.

rob (minneapolis)Matt Ryan needs to take on a bigger leadership role (ie downplaying Roddy White's idiotic comments) before he can be considered truly elite -- oh, and win a playoff game or two... thoughts?

Pat Yasinskas(11:15 AM)I get the point about not having won a playoff game. But what makes you think Ryan is not a leader? I think he is very much a leader.

The sky is falling!!! (C. Little)Before any of your Falcons fans lose it.....Just remember the Falcons had it close. They were in the game until the end and this game was against a divisional rival on the road.

Pat YasinskasJust tossing this one out there for Atlanta fans.

King (Atlanta)As per Rob's comments, I guess Flacco and Sanchez are elite since they have both been to the AFCCG. Roddy is going to say what he wants and he is a great teammate. Could be worse (say TO maybe?).

Pat YasinskasRoddy is Roddy. I don't agree with everything he says, but he always shows up to play.

Adam Creed (Boone)I doubt there's room cap wise, but has there been any thought of Ray Edwards going to the panthers? / Any word on where he might go?

Pat YasinskasFirst off, Ray Edwards wouldn't command a big contract right now. Second, Panthers have about $4.5 in cap room for this year, but are over cap for next year. Lastly, in talking to some people with Panthers, I don't think they're real high on Edwards.

JT (Stafford, VA)I thought I read somewhere a Falcon O-lineman saying they were blocking OK just blocking the wrong way? Is that on Matt Ryan, Todd McClure, or Dirk Koeter?

Pat YasinskasDidn't see the quote. But, if it's true, I'd say Koetter and Pat Hill, the O-line coach.

Pat YasinskasI can't read his mind. It's really up to him. But nothing would surprise me. As far as the draft, I'd go DE first.

Eliot (New York, NY)Hey Pat, long time no chat. For a long time, Mike Smith has preached establishing the run early in the game to set up play-action, but I wonder if this current Falcons team should take the opposite approach and establish the pass to set up the run. Seems to play more to their strengths. Thoughts?

Pat Yasinskas(11:30 AM)Yes, like the idea a lot. Was thinking the same thing the other day. Now, do Smith and Koetter think the same way as us? Don't know.

Looking in to the future..... (20/20)Looking back since the Falcons hired Mike Smith, I find it hard to argue that he may be one of better coaches in the NFL. Do you think he could be on the level of the Belicheks, et al of the NFL some day?

Pat Yasinskas(11:34 AM)If he can win some playoff games and a Super Bowl or two, absolutely. His regular-season record is on par with some of the greatest coaches ever.

Eliot (New York, NY)For weeks, I've been saying I could legitimately seem the Falcons finishing 14-2 and getting swept by the Saints. What is it about them? Do the Saints just match up really well? Are they the kryptonite to Smith's conservative play-calling? I can't put my finger on it.

Pat Yasinskas(11:40 AM)I think there could be a mental block involved there. When you lose to a team 11 out of 13 times, it's got to play on your mind at least a little bit.

Brad (Atlanta)Pat, who do you think the Saints would part with first of their RBs? And do you think any of them might be an answer for the Falcons? Think Ingram or Ivory would be pretty good in the ATL backfield.

Pat Yasinskas(11:41 AM)Think Ingram would be a great fit in Atlanta. But don't think the Saints are ready to let him go.

JT (Stafford, VA)Offensive tackle Tyson Clabo said, ?I still think we have a chance to be a good short-yardage team. It?s not that we aren?t blocking well, we?re just not blocking the right people.?the piece was on the AJC Blog on tuesday.

Pat Yasinskas(11:43 AM)Not blocking the right people? Hmm, sounds like that should fall on the coaches. But also think there might be a bit of finger pointing going on there.

Kevin (Largo)If Bucs stay above .500, does Greg Schiano get coach of the year?

Pat Yasinskas(11:44 AM)Think I said this last week -- he certainly would be a candidate and get some votes, but might be tough to beat out Mike Smith if he finishes with 13 or 14 wins.

Ryan (Sonoma, CA)Pat, what game you going to this weekend?

Pat Yasinskas(11:46 AM)Cardinals at Falcons.

run game change (1 yard and a cloud of dust)Looking back at the Falcons/Saints game, I'm guessing that's the worst performance by Atlanta on the ground this season. Sure they've had issues, but no way can they be that bad all season....

Pat Yasinskas(11:47 AM)Yeah, it was probably their worst. But they haven't been great on the ground all season.

Dylan (Rock Springs, WY)What can the Falcons do to improve their run game?

Pat YasinskasNot sure there's much they can do right now. But it surely will be an offseason priority.

JT (Stafford, VA)Does Peter Konz have a future as a Center, or do they keep him at Guard

Pat YasinskasI think he stays at guard and Hawley eventually takes over at center.

Francis T. (Brooklyn NY)Were you as impressed as I was when Julio forced himself back into the game not 100% and still made a play on the deep ball? Made me realized that the offense is completely different without him.

Pat Yasinskas(11:52 AM)Yep, go back and look at the stats we had for Ryan on Monday, which were broken down into what he did when Julio was in the game and when he wasn't. It's pretty amazing.

bo (atlanta)pat i dont know how anyone can argue roddy's point that the falcons gave that game away to the saints... If Julio played the whole game and Weatherspoon matched up against graham i think it would have been a blow out. These teams really hate each other. what can we expect for this Thursday night game in Atlanta?

Pat YasinskasI would expect more of the same. It's always very entertaining when Saints and Falcons get together.

King (Atlanta)Do you think Dent is the long term solution at MLB in Atlanta? I think the running game woes start with him since he's the only new face on defense.

Pat YasinskasYeah, but they're not running the same defense they did last year. A lot of times, Dent's not even on the field because they're running the nickel package more than ever.

Carter (atlanta)Do you see Atlanta more likely to replace ray Edwards through the draft or free agency?

Pat Yasinskas(11:59 AM)Can you really replace a Ray Edwards??? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Corey (Charlotte)Not so sure what happened to my question I asked earlier but I don't see it. I asked why so much hate on the Falcons from your articles and ESPN. We are a team that beat 8 teams in a row this year and I'm guessing because we didn't blow out all the other teams by 20 or more, we are not legit contenders! This is absurd, I'm sure the Falcon players are using this as a motivation to prove a point but as a fan it disgust me that even after all the wins the articles are always condescending. How many time did it take Peyton, Eli, Elway and more others to finally get there. My point is I know we run into playoff issues or have in the past but all the teams we played went on to the superbowl and with that being said there is only one team that can really be excited about the playoff's and that's the superbowl winner. Come on Pat, can we stop with the sneak dissing!

Pat YasinskasIn case you missed it yesterday, I wrote that I think they're going to the Super Bowl and the vast majority of what I've written about them all season has been positive -- because they're winning. All right, we're past our deadline. Thanks to all for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

JT (Stafford, VA)Does Peter Konz have a future as a Center, or do they keep him at Guard

Pat YasinskasI think he stays at guard and Hawley eventually takes over at center.

This is what I've been saying. I don't know why people can't see this. A lot on here thinks if a player don't come in as a rookie and look like a pro then we need to draft a player who can. How untrue... example, look how many years it took Roddy to be as good as he is??? Yes, it took him at least 3 years. You don't get that good at something in one year. Can you imagine what JJ may be in a few years?? Hawley has even more potential that most. I think he will be a great one in time.

This is what I've been saying. I don't know why people can't see this. A lot on here thinks if a player don't come in as a rookie and look like a pro then we need to draft a player who can. How untrue... example, look how many years it took Roddy to be as good as he is??? Yes, it took him at least 3 years. You don't get that good at something in one year. Can you imagine what JJ may be in a few years?? Hawley has even more potential that most. I think he will be a great one in time.

good to see you back, draftnut.....

for me, i need Hawley to show me something - he has played numerous games and I have not seen it yet. He's been on this team for 2 1/2 years now. Sometimes you just "are what you are" and Hawley - so far - looks like offensive line depth and nothing more. Another guy in the middle that is not stout.

He just wrote a piece saying he thinks the Falcons get to the super bowl, how is that hating on the team.

What Pat Y fails to mention is that every division beat writer had to pick who had the best chance to make the super bowl, from the division they write for. What was he gonna do pick the Saints? Trust me, if the Saints had 1 or 2 less defeats, he would have. Better believe it killed Pat Y to have to write an article about why he thinks the Falcons can win the SB.

Pat Yasinskas(11:59 AM)Can you really replace a Ray Edwards??? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

HAHAHA!

Why does everybody hate on PY? He shows the Falcons love when they're on top and gives them HIS opinion of corrective criticism when they lose or have a bad game. I don't have a problem with his articles, he says stuff that I dont agree with sometimes but, meh, who doesn't?

What Pat Y fails to mention is that every division beat writer had to pick who had the best chance to make the super bowl, from the division they write for. What was he gonna do pick the Saints? Trust me, if the Saints had 1 or 2 less defeats, he would have. Better believe it killed Pat Y to have to write an article about why he thinks the Falcons can win the SB.

Funny, in that article, he say that the Falcons WILL get to the Super Bowl, that wasn't required at all by his assignment:

"I honestly believe the Falcons will reach the Super Bowl..."

good to see you back, draftnut.....

for me, i need Hawley to show me something - he has played numerous games and I have not seen it yet. He's been on this team for 2 1/2 years now. Sometimes you just "are what you are" and Hawley - so far - looks like offensive line depth and nothing more. Another guy in the middle that is not stout.

I pretty much agree with just about everything you have here, except just one part. Like Draftnut said, the "norm" back in the day it was more common than not that a player needed 3 years to find their groove in the NFL. If he's only been here 2 1/2 years he's still within his "window" to stand out.

I pretty much agree with just about everything you have here, except just one part. Like Draftnut said, the "norm" back in the day it was more common than not that a player needed 3 years to find their groove in the NFL. If he's only been here 2 1/2 years he's still within his "window" to stand out.

maybe but you are seeing guys drafted in 1st/2nd round come in and start all the time. Pouncey Brothers, Iupati, Ryan Clady, Jake Long, and a long list of others. I am just spitballin' here but I bet over last 5 years you have had probably an average of 5 rooks a year start on NFL offensive lines. Not buyin' the 3 year apprenticeship thing - AT ALL....

maybe but you are seeing guys drafted in 1st/2nd round come in and start all the time. Pouncey Brothers, Iupati, Ryan Clady, Jake Long, and a long list of others. I am just spitballin' here but I bet over last 5 years you have had probably an average of 5 rooks a year start on NFL offensive lines. Not buyin' the 3 year apprenticeship thing - AT ALL....

And how many of that 5 were 1st and 2nd round picks? Saying that Hawley should be proven by now because Pouncey started from the first day doesn't follow.

He was a 4th rounder for a reason, he also was the starting guard for the last nine games last year when Ryan put up 2500 yards and 20 TDs.

Think the Falcons still plan to put him in at center- probably next year after McClure retires. I'd put him in now and see if his youth and strength made a difference in the run game.