Falcons Have Ample Motivation To Bounce Back

PokerSteve

When Tony G complained that the Falcons were not getting any respect from the national media despite their perfect 8-0 start, it generated a lot of discussion among the various and sundry ESPN and NFL Network pundits about his remark. For the most part, Tony G got flamed for daring to demand respect when his team had amassed that impressive start against teams with a combined .364 winning percentage and the Falcons had made a tradition of bombing in the play-offs and that the Falcons couldn't expect any respect until that changed.

Now that the Falcons have lost a game ~ and lost it to a team that is not only a heated rival that they've only beaten twice in the past 13 meetings and a team that sported the sorriest defense in the history of the NFL, fresh hatred and abuse has been heaped on their collective heads. Despite everyone's assumption that Mike Smith has somehow cut the team off from the outside world and they're not aware of the new wave of disrespect, there have been rumors the Falcons do hear the criticisms and insults. In the commentary regarding the Falcons and their current situation in relation to their chances of finishing out the year in a winning fashion, Steve Wyche said the Falcons were saying that now that they've lost a game the media would probably knock the Falcons down to 10th in the power rankings. It was obvious at least a few of the Falcons, Tony G and DeCoud being a couple, were sick and tired of the talk and the Falcons are using this new round of disrespect as motivation to prove their detractors wrong.

I'm not sure how much these outside jabs make a difference in how hard a team plays, but I do know if I were on the team and all the players were getting fed this steady diet of crap every week, at some point I would get my mates together and say something to the effect of "let's take this disrespect and shove it back up their azz boys." There must come a time when this team starts to play with some fire and hate ~ translated into brutal, unyielding physicality ~ if it's ever going to realize the potential of its highly talented core. So maybe instead of all of us bishing at the media for the disprespect, we should be hoping they heap on an extra helping to spark some on-field retribution from the Dirty Birds.

I think the first real test of just how motivated this team is and how much fire they really do have in their collective belly will come vs the Saints in the Thursday Night game. Of all the so-called "statement" or "signature" games the team has played already, this to me will be the game that shows where this team is at and what they're chances are of getting deep in the play-offs and/or the Super Bowl.

What say you?

Edited by PokerSteve

When Tony G complained that the Falcons were not getting any respect from the national media despite their perfect 8-0 start, it generated a lot of discussion among the various and sundry ESPN and NFL Network pundits about his remark. For the most part, Tony G got flamed for daring to demand respect when his team had amassed that impressive start against teams with a combined .364 winning percentage and the Falcons had made a tradition of bombing in the play-offs and that the Falcons couldn't expect any respect until that changed.

Now that the Falcons have lost a game ~ and lost it to a team that is not only a heated rival that they've only beaten twice in the past 13 meetings and a team that sported the sorriest defense in the history of the NFL, fresh hatred and abuse has been heaped on their collective heads. Despite everyone's assumption that Mike Smith has somehow cut the team off from the outside world and they're not aware of the new wave of disrespect, there have been rumors the Falcons do hear the criticisms and insults. In the commentary regarding the Falcons and their current situation in relation to their chances of finishing out the year in a winning fashion. Steve Wyche said the Falcons were saying that now that they've lost a game the media would probably knock the Falcons down to 10th in the power rankings. It was obvious at least a few of the Falcons, Tony G and DeCoud being a couple, were sick and tired of the talk and the Falcons are using this new round of disrespect as motivation to prove their detractors wrong.

I'm not sure how much these outside jabs make a difference in how hard a team plays, but I do know if I were on the team and all the players were getting fed this steady diet of crap every week, at some point I would get my mates together and say something to the effect of "let's take this disrespect and shove it back up their azz boys." There must come a time when this team starts to play with some fire and hate ~ translated into brutal, unyielding physicality ~ if it's ever going to realize the potential of its highly talented core. So maybe instead of all of us bishing at the media for the disprespect, we should be hoping they heap on an extra helping to spark some on-field retribution from the Dirty Birds.

I think the first real test of just how motivated this team is and how much fire they really do have in their collective belly will come vs the Saints in the Thursday Night game. Of all the so-called "statement" or "signature" games the team has played already, this to me will be the game that shows where this team is at and what they're chances are of getting deep in the play-offs and/or the Super Bowl.

What say you?

I'm still looking for that forty burger. What a perfect arena and captive audience a Thursday Night football game presents. Make a statement birds...but start with demolishing the Cards and winning however we need to against the sucs.

I can tell from the Falcons fans that the Saints are in their heads, so it stands to reason they are also in their team's heads. I'm expecting the Falcons to get caught looking ahead and drop a couple between now and the next Saints Falcons match up.sleep.png

**** you. The only time you genetic mutations are in my head are when you infect this board and we have to see your inane posts.

laugh.png

I can tell from the Falcons fans that the Saints are in their heads, so it stands to reason they are also in their team's heads. I'm expecting the Falcons to get caught looking ahead and drop a couple between now and the next Saints Falcons match up.sleep.png

You are so wrong. When I see a cockroach crawl across the floor, it doesn't "get in my head." I just stomp it flat and sweep it out the door.

Guest Negatorris

There are only two games between our next matchup. And we aren't losing 3 games, and definitely not 4 in a row. Expect the Saints to have their collective azzes handed to them on TNF.

What the Falcons team and their fans are currently thinking about their best season start of all time -

"Oh My, What If the hated Saints sweep us having no coach, the most turmoil and distraction suffered by any team in the history of the league, and the worst statistical D of all time ???"

actually i think 95% of this board could live with a sweep as long as we get HFA and make some serious noise in the playoffs. what you aint fans fail to realize is that we have bigger things on our hands than worrying about your 4-5 team/franchise in turmoil.

**** yeah we're mad and it takes time to get over, but nothing makes ME feel better faster than looking at "FALCONS 8-1, #1 SEED IN NFC" everytime i log on to NFL.com. :D

I think the close loss, the cut of Ray, and the young guys looking to take advantage of the new opportunities will translate to a new attitude going into the second half of the season. I also the respect narrative has finally died down. Or, at least, I hope it has.

Actually it's pretty sound logic! Yall are playing 2 classic trap games back 2 back before the "real game"

Na, the Falcon's don't play "trap" games. Too well coached and too high of caliber players for that.

See, a classic trap game would be losing to a team with a losing record in the playoffs, or losing to the Chiefs this year.

What the Falcons team and their fans are currently thinking about their best season start of all time -

"Oh My, What If the hated Saints sweep us having no coach, the most turmoil and distraction suffered by any team in the history of the league, and the worst statistical D of all time ???"

Better yet, what if the Aints are still celebrating their November Superbowl win and lose to the Raiders? Will you suddenly disappear again from a rivals board?

Actually it's pretty sound logic! Yall are playing 2 classic trap games back 2 back before the "real game"

I hate to prognosticate, but we will be 11-1 come November 30th. We played one of our worst games all season against the Saints while you played your best...and any logical fan knows we still should have won that game. No way you hold us to 6 points in three red zone trips in the Dome. So I applaud your win, you deserved it, but I don't expect it to happen again.

Haha ... this coming from the guy on our board.

I wasn't even thinking swamp rat until I saw your name. Get over yourself. laugh.png

Seems like the kid in school that's always looked over during recess when teams are picked, and when a nice guy finally picks him, he loses the game for the team. He's never picked again and then complains to the teacher about it. Sometimes, you just have to realize that once an impression is made, you have to work twice as hard to overcome that impression. The Falcons reputation is - can't win big games. Until that happens numerous times (not just once in which luck is more likely the reason), the Falcons can't win big games.

Edited by Mr. Right

Being a Falcon fan must make one old and cranky

It never ceases to amaze me that Saints fans can act with such bravado when their team has been implicated in one of the biggest scandals in the NFL then have the nerve to play the "us against the world" card. There is only one person in the facility stupid enough to try to fight it and his defense is basically "you're not my daddy you can't tell me what to do". You bring up not having a head coach but who's fault is that? Go ahead and bring up the Super Bowl win, yea you have one I would just prefer one without an *