Clock Stopping After 1St Down Rule

Falconsfan567

Listening to Mike & Mike and they had Mel Kiper Jr. on there and he was talking about the ridiculous basketball scores in college football over the past few years and he made a very good point. He said that it's time for the NCAA to do away with the clock stopping after a 1st down rule. He said that was put in back in the days before these teams were passing the ball all over the place like now days. The rule was put in to help teams like Ohio State who who were strictly running teams and were complaining about the offense not getting enough plays. Also said another reason the rule needs to be done away with is to try to gain back some of the lost support from old school fans who aren't interested in these basketball score type games, which made me think of who it was that said that on here. I think it was Carter that was talking about that.

But what do you guys think? Would it be a good idea to do away with that rule? I think it would be a good change.

Interesting - I hadn't really thought about that. It's definitely become a strategic aspect of the game. I think the basketball scores are equally due to plain bad defense.

I'd be for eliminating the rule in all but perhaps the final 2 minutes of each quarter.

The clock stoppage on first downs rule really sets up for some great finishes in college football games, especially when the team driving does not have a timeout (see the Alabama/LSU game). If it goes away at all, I am definitely for keeping it during the last two minutes of the first half and the second half at least. It adds some strategy to the game -- there have been a lot of times I have been watching NFL games at the end and wish this rule was in place.

The clock stoppage on first downs rule really sets up for some great finishes in college football games, especially when the team driving does not have a timeout (see the Alabama/LSU game). If it goes away at all, I am definitely for keeping it during the last two minutes of the first half and the second half at least. It adds some strategy to the game -- there have been a lot of times I have been watching NFL games at the end and wish this rule was in place.

When responding above I actually had that Alabama LSU game in mind. We've seen the rule effect the outcome of many games - Georgia has been the beneficiary a time or two as well.

I like it. Yes, it's advantage offense but I like that the defense is required to step up in that situation. I'd be all for eliminating it for the other 52 minutes of the game.

I would be in favor of keeping the clock stopping on a first down rule for the last 2 minutes of a half. I actually do really like that part of it and agree that there have been times when I wish that rule were in place in the NFL. And yes I do also agree that maybe it time for college to go to having to have 2 feet in bounds for a catch to be complete. And I have never understood why a play is dead after a player hits the ground in college when he's untouched. Stupid if you ask me.

Yeah that has been me complaining about "exciting" offensive games... they bore me to tears. No drama, no defense, no real difference in coaching strategies. Just comes down to who has the ball last. Lame.

The 1st down clock stoppage is no big deal to me at all though... it's college football as far as I'm concerned. I've also watched the end of some NFL games and thought it would be more interesting, but I understand the difficulty facilitated by the rules is increased at the NFL level and that's fine. College football doesn't need to be like the NFL. I'd rather college football keep the rule. They already altered it to start the clock again after the chains are set, which is fair imo (and I believe it cut down some 15+ minutes of actual games on average). The rule adds drama and a good measure of strategy to close games and has directly contributed to some of the classic games we all remember.

These clowns just need to start coaching defense. If Oregon scores 50 on everybody and Auburn's average defense mostly shut them down, it's not ridiculous to expect. Heck just a year before that I think Ohio State pretty much shut Oregon down too. Teams just need to start playing better defense.

there is no reason to change the rule. i love it. we get more offense and we get better games imo. mel kiper is a nfl guy so he wants it to be the same as the nfl which is ridiculous.

Agree... I always find it funny when NFL guys say they don't like things about college football because its not like the NFL. Um, duh... it's not the NFL. One of the things I like most about college football is IT'S NOT THE NFL.

Agree... I always find it funny when NFL guys say they don't like things about college football because its not like the NFL. Um, duh... it's not the NFL. One of the things I like most about college football is IT'S NOT THE NFL.

i never get why people want to change college to be like the nfl. both are great products let them stay they way they are. neither needs to change to be like the other league.

Man I really hate the down without contact rule in college football. If I could change one thing about college football that would be it.

Same here. Down without contact and one-foot in bounds rule are really the only things I would change about college football.

Except for the OT rules. I'd move the ball to the 40. There's no reason why teams should start in field goal range.

Same here. Down without contact and one-foot in bounds rule are really the only things I would change about college football.

Except for the OT rules. I'd move the ball to the 40. There's no reason why teams should start in field goal range.

Yeah that too. I hate that teams don't have to work to get into field goal range.

I would also do away with FBS schools being able to schedule FCS opponents.

And if they do schedule those games, none of the stats would count and the outcome of the game will not be reflected in your record. Instead of UGA or UF or Alabama being 10-1 right now, they'd still be 9-1. Pathetic that they were playing the teams they played today. No excuse for that at all.