Can We Generate A Pass Rush Over The Rest Of The Season And Into The Playoffs?

ol'_dirty2

It seems that the Falcons brass is well aware of the lack of pass rush and seems to have made a positive move to change that. It looks like Sid, Mass, and Matthews are gonna get to take the car around the block to see who can drive. How much do you think the youth movement will affect us getting back there on a more consistent basis?

Edited by ol'_dirty2

why is no one asking about stopping the Run now?

Can Bierman, Sid, Mass, Matthews stop the run --or are they just pass rushers?

I don't think its no longer a concern to everybody. Its not for me at all. I think as far as the topic at hand it was replacing Edwards whom had no pass rush what so ever. I was just looking at it with blinders on thinking only of pass rush atm. I hope to God they can help with a pass block as well.

You got to think that this is the defining moment in his career, the oppurtunity of a lifetime for him ....time for the kid to determine his fate right here ......

Exactly dude , my dad and I were on the phone for a while today and of course Falcon talk was the majority of the topic. We both agreed this is El Sids chance to show he should be in the NFL. Its pretty much do or die time.

Sidbury must really suck in practice because he has shown some flashes in games in the past, I just dont get why they dont play him more .....

I like the new coordinators, especially Nolan, but I also wonder just why Koetter won't get HD in on the offense and Nolan give Sidbury and some of the other bench guys a chance to see what they can do? We're like 25th in the league in rushing defense, so exactly how much worse could the second-team guys be anyway? SMH

Guest Negatorris

If one of the young guys don't turn out to be breasts, our offense will probably have to ball out the rest of the season. Our pass D has regressed, we aren't creating much turnovers, and that really masked our mediocre pass rush.

It seems that the Falcons brass is well aware of the lack of pass rush and seems to have made a positive move to change that. It looks like Sid, Mass, and Matthews are gonna get to take the car around the block to see who can drive. How much do you think the youth movement will affect us getting back there on a more consistent basis?

Bottom line, the Falcons have put an excessive amount of their salary cap into the skill positions which is why we are struggling at the non-glamour positions along both lines. You can't have pro bowlers at every position, and since we've had numerous along the QB/WR/TE/RB, it's only logical that we have holes elsewhere. So we definitely need some late rounders to perform for us or we must rely on trying to outscore everyone. Next season, MT & TG will likely come off the books which should free up some cash for us to address both lines. We are also in dire need of 3 impact players out of next years draft.

why is no one asking about stopping the Run now?

Can Bierman, Sid, Mass, Matthews stop the run --or are they just pass rushers?

I think we could see improvement in both the pass rush and run defense with the injection of youth and speed. One thing that always stood out to me about Edwards was his lack of athleticism. He always looked like a DT out there for us. I think in Minnesota his bull rush worked because of Allen ans the big DTs the Vikings had. In ATL Edwards always looked out of place.

I think we just run the youngsters out there, simplify their job and let them go. Sidbury, Mass and Matthews are are all athletic fast twitch guys

I think it is a good time to make a change. There are enough games left to get a good feeling of who of our young DEs will bring the best pass rush, so we can optimize our DE rotation going into the playoffs.

It also sends a message to all of the players that you can't just be content with your paycheck, you have to have the passion to want more than that. On top of that, it is a vote of confidence for our young guys at DE, who will now have to carry it on their shoulders - and with 3 guys competing, and nobody ahead of the race, I think they will all bring their best. Good move.

Unless someone taking over for Edwards steps up

No we cannot

We don't appear to have the talent level required to have a consistent pass rush with just our front 4

I agree with you. Appearances would suggest that, but how much do you think effort plays a role? It sounds like Edwards flat out didnt want it...these young boys have to be hungry!!!