Ray Edwards' Release A Message To Falcons Players

Dusty

Regardless of record, the 8-1 Atlanta Falcons said they will evaluate their team every week.

If players thought they were hollow words, the release of Ray Edwards on Monday sent a clear message.

"It's scary," rookie offensive lineman Peter Konz said, managing a weak smile, via the Associated Press. "It makes you think. But if you do the right things, get the job done on the field, you don't have to be too worried about itâ

Edwards signed a five-year, $30 million contract ($11 million guaranteed) in July 2011 to compliment defensive end John Abraham in the pass rush. He has done little in his 25 games with the Falcons, posting just 3.5 sacks last year and zero in nine games to start this season.

The locker room got the notice.The big name bombed out big time. Coach Mike Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff weren't afraid to eat the sunk cost and move on with players who were more productive. Any player can be replaced at any time.

"It's a wakeup call," safety Thomas DeCoud said Wednesday. "The message has been received."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000095180/article/ray-edwards-release-a-message-to-falcons-players

Losing Ray Edwards was a small price to pay to get the attentio of the team and make sure they know what is expected of them every weak.

I still am guessing Ray wasnt bringing a good veteran presence in the locker room, and with so many young DLman on th roster, you cant have them seeing a guy getting paid and slacking off.

Maybe Art is a bit fed up with, yep we do well in the reg season, but where does that get us in the grand scheme of things, 1 and done comes to mind. Personally, I credit a real DC(Nolan) as the catalyst behind the release of Edward's . Think about it for a moment, do y'all think that the situation with JA-98 would have have lingered so long had, MN been our DC during his stay with us? I think not. Message sent and hopefully recieved.

Art's Freaking tired. To the folks who say 8-1, well, riddle me this, if "all is well in Falcons land", then why cut a "Big FA acquistion" affter winning 8/9 games, or better yet, why did DK more or less call out the OL with respect to our inability to run the ball?

Pressure from the owner comes to mind, time to put your money where your mouth is comes to mind and, as much as I like Smitty, you better start aligning ur duckies or your next

Maybe Art is a bit fed up with, yep we do well in the reg season, but where does that get us in the grand scheme of things, 1 and done comes to mind. Personally, I credit a real DC(Nolan) as the catalyst behind the release of Edward's . Think about it for a moment, do y'all think that the situation with JA-98 would have have lingered so long had, MN been our DC during his stay with us? I think not. Message sent and hopefully recieved.

Art's Freaking tired. To the folks who say 8-1, well, riddle me this, if "all is well in Falcons land", then why cut a "Big FA acquistion" affter winning 8/9 games, or better yet, why did DK more or less call out the OL with respect to our inability to run the ball?

Pressure from the owner comes to mind, time to put your money where your mouth is comes to mind and, as much as I like Smitty, you better start aligning ur duckies or your next

Very good point

I was actually thinking pressure from Arthur might of had some to do with this. Their were sacrificial lambs to appease the god father.

My guess is that TD and Smith were not only sending a message to the team but to Blank as well. Those 2 have to answer to AB, and the message is that "We can't keep paying an underperformer", and "We want to keep the team on it's toes".