We Did Not Choke Against The Saints

cooperbh

I've been hearing the "C" word being thrown around a lot lately. It's pure nonsense.

In order for there to be a choke, there has to be pressure. So, where would the pressure have been coming from in Sunday's game against the Saints?

Was this game a must-win? Not even close. Even if it were, the Falcons under Mike Smith have won their fair share of these types of games during the regular season. It's only in the postseason where they have consistently come up short in must-win games.

Was the team desperate to get its first ever victory against the Saints during the Smith era? Nope. Been there, done that. Twice. There was no monkey on anyone's back here.

Did this game take place on a "big stage?" Nah. Just another 1:00pm kickoff. Besides, the Falcons have amply proven so far this season that the big stage doesn't bother them, as they are 2-0 in nationally televised night games to date.

Was there pressure to stay unbeaten in the regular season? Possibly. Of course, that pressure had been there over the last few weeks as well and the Falcons had handled it just fine. And even if it were a factor, the Falcons certainly aren't the first team to succumb to such pressure. In fact, only two teams in NFL history haven't. Whatever the case, it's hardly anything to worry about going forward.

The reality is that Sunday's game against the Saints was just another hard-fought division road game in which we ended up on the losing side of things. Nothing more, nothing less. We may have team weaknesses. We may have not played as well as we could have. But we certainly did not choke.

If anyone has choked, it is all the knee-jerk, drama queen fans on these boards who built up a meaningless regular season game as the end-all be-all and then proceeded to totally meltdown when the team came up four points shy of the victory. Rise up, people.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a choke. Mike Smith chokes against the Saints because he has the team scared of them, It doesn't mean the end of the world, it doesn't mean we can't win in the playoffs, but it's a concern,and a mental hurdle we have to get over.

We can all say "we don't care what anyone thinks", but when you can't log onto one sports site that doesn't some type of headline about it, it can get pretty aggravating.

We choked, It was a big loss that could have implications. If the Saints turn the season around, we will all think differentlly.

It was a bad loss. We should be pissed about it, and do something about it in a couple weeks.

this game was like the Packers game last season. it was a statement game. we failed to make the statement that this wasn't the team the Packers destroyed in the play-offs by getting beat at home after altering our draft and philosophy because of that thrashing. this was a statement game to show the Saints that this was a different team, even though they didn't have their head coach and one of their main weapons. so while you may not view it as a choke, why should we think that this team won't indeed choke again in the play-offs. me personally, I don't think we'll choke but I don't have any indication that we're a different team yet

this game was like the Packers game last season. it was a statement game. we failed to make the statement that this wasn't the team the Packers destroyed in the play-offs by getting beat at home after altering our draft and philosophy because of that thrashing. this was a statement game to show the Saints that this was a different team, even though they didn't have their head coach and one of their main weapons. so while you may not view it as a choke, why should we think that this team won't indeed choke again in the play-offs. me personally, I don't think we'll choke but I don't have any indication that we're a different team yet

Do you get a trophy for winning these so-called "statement" games?

If so, why aren't you hoisting up our "Beating-Payton-Manning-On-Monday-Night-Football" trophy?

Or our "Beating-Andy-Reid's-Eagles-On-The-Road-After-A Bye-Week" trophy?

Or our "Beating-America's-Team-In-Front-Of-America" trophy?

Every week is always some sort of HUGE season-defining test for the Falcons, according to the drama queens on this board. It's been that way since that first game against the Chiefs in "hostile" Arrowhead Stadium. Of course, once the test is passed, it is immediately forgotten.

So, why does this supposed "statement" game against the Saints carry any more weight than the many statement games we've already won this season?

Choked is not the word I would use. Breakdowns yes.There were too many. The Ivory touchdown comes to mind. The guys that had a shot at stopping or slowing him were pretty sloppy like the stiffarm at the end. And I damned sure wouldn't be bragging if I was an aints fan. There was plenty of sloppiness from them as well. Respectable score at the end and glad it's behind us. Time to move on and Rise Up!

See the post above yours. According to some, the Saints game has torpedoed our postseason hopes and possibly even our chances of making the playoffs.

That's not what I said dumbass. I said it could potentially be a bad thing to have the Saints in the playoffs. I know it's hard for you to grasp that some people aren't trying to polish the turd we laid on Sunday like you and others, but don't twist what I said to try and make your point.

It was a choke. Mike Smith chokes against the Saints because he has the team scared of them, It doesn't mean the end of the world, it doesn't mean we can't win in the playoffs, but it's a concern,and a mental hurdle we have to get over.

We can all say "we don't care what anyone thinks", but when you can't log onto one sports site that doesn't some type of headline about it, it can get pretty aggravating.

We choked, It was a big loss that could have implications. If the Saints turn the season around, we will all think differentlly.

It was a bad loss. We should be pissed about it, and do something about it in a couple weeks.

GET. OVER. IT. Jesus man, you sound like a 12 year old girl who didn't get a cell phone for christmas. One game. That really doesn't even matter in the grand scheme...

That's not what I said dumbass. I said it could potentially be a bad thing to have the Saints in the playoffs. I know it's hard for you to grasp that some people aren't trying to polish the turd we laid on Sunday like you and others, but don't twist what I said to try and make your point.

Apology accepted in advance.

Do you get a trophy for winning these so-called "statement" games?

If so, why aren't you hoisting up our "Beating-Payton-Manning-On-Monday-Night-Football" trophy?

Or our "Beating-Andy-Reid's-Eagles-On-The-Road-After-A Bye-Week" trophy?

Or our "Beating-America's-Team-In-Front-Of-America" trophy?

Every week is always some sort of HUGE season-defining test for the Falcons, according to the drama queens on this board. It's been that way since that first game against the Chiefs in "hostile" Arrowhead Stadium. Of course, once the test is passed, it is immediately forgotten.

So, why does this supposed "statement" game against the Saints carry any more weight than the many statement games we've already won this season?

Beating the Saints in 08 would've given us the division and a home playoff game.

Beating the Saints in 09 might've changed their playoff trajectory, given us the division.

Beating the Saints last year might have given us the division and kept us at home as well.

The Saints are now a true NFC contender, because of this, and the current state of the NFC, gives them a chance to turn it around.

There might not be a trophy for beating them, but it does us no favors in the attempt to getting a trophy.

It's the most important matchup of the year.